Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

After encountering a poster for "Wang's Massage" and having a sensible chuckle, I was struck by the practice of using human names to mean penis. Dick, Johnson, John Thomas, Wang, Dong, and Willy come to mind but this dicktionary I found has a lot more. A moment of consideration about this has resulted in a series of questions of scholarly inquiry:

Is there a deeper structural reason why any particular name would be more likely to be used to refer to a penis? By which I mean, could you write an algorithm that could accurately predict how penile any particular name is and if you could, how much information would you need to give it? Is there something you could determine from the phonemic structure alone or does it require some cultural or historical hints as well?

Do other languages use human names to mean penis? If they do, did the practice develop independently or did it spread from English? Did English get the practice from a different language? Have any of our names caught on with other languages? Is there a Bouba / Kiki effect for dicks? Or are there other families of penis slang terms that have greater universality? What's the most international way I could refer to a penis in slang?

Why does this effect seem to be almost entirely restricted to penises and no other reproductive or non-reproductive body parts? I'm thinking its external non-muscular erectile tissue nature giving a kind of easily anthropomorphised independent life combined with social taboos around mentioning reproductive organs might be the precursors but I'm just working backwards here. Would there even be a way to successfully engineer a human name to catch on and become commonly understood for breasts, or noses, or toes? Or a female name for penis?

How does the fact that many male names often mean penis affect people's choice of names when naming a child, or a brand? Are there any statistically significant differences in the childhoods and adult personalities of men with penis names compared to men with names of similar commonality?

Anyway, just thought I'd throw these questions out here and see if anyone has any experiences or opinions with this crucially important subject matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

Or are there other families of penis slang terms that have greater universality?

sausages and meat in general

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

american women call their vaginas a “john thomas” too, just ask them if you don’t believe me

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
in the united states, calling another a male a 'dickface' is a sign of respect for their power and masculine potency

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mozi posted:

in the united states, calling another a male a 'dickface' is a sign of respect for their power and masculine potency

sometimes. sometimes its just a literal description of what somebody's face looks like.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Britney Spears.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

After encountering a poster for "Wang's Massage" and having a sensible chuckle, I was struck by the practice of using human names to mean penis. Dick, Johnson, John Thomas, Wang, Dong, and Willy come to mind but this dicktionary I found has a lot more. A moment of consideration about this has resulted in a series of questions of scholarly inquiry:

Is there a deeper structural reason why any particular name would be more likely to be used to refer to a penis? By which I mean, could you write an algorithm that could accurately predict how penile any particular name is and if you could, how much information would you need to give it? Is there something you could determine from the phonemic structure alone or does it require some cultural or historical hints as well?

Do other languages use human names to mean penis? If they do, did the practice develop independently or did it spread from English? Did English get the practice from a different language? Have any of our names caught on with other languages? Is there a Bouba / Kiki effect for dicks? Or are there other families of penis slang terms that have greater universality? What's the most international way I could refer to a penis in slang?

Why does this effect seem to be almost entirely restricted to penises and no other reproductive or non-reproductive body parts? I'm thinking its external non-muscular erectile tissue nature giving a kind of easily anthropomorphised independent life combined with social taboos around mentioning reproductive organs might be the precursors but I'm just working backwards here. Would there even be a way to successfully engineer a human name to catch on and become commonly understood for breasts, or noses, or toes? Or a female name for penis?

How does the fact that many male names often mean penis affect people's choice of names when naming a child, or a brand? Are there any statistically significant differences in the childhoods and adult personalities of men with penis names compared to men with names of similar commonality?

Anyway, just thought I'd throw these questions out here and see if anyone has any experiences or opinions with this crucially important subject matter

The gently caress if I'm reading all this, op go screw yourself

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Even if Peter Dinklage wasn't a dwarf, the other kids would still have made fun of him due to his name.

Like seriously, how does a family with the name Dinklage think it's a good idea to name their kid Peter? I guess it's not quite as bad as naming him Richard but still...

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Even if Peter Dinklage wasn't a dwarf, the other kids would still have made fun of him due to his name.

Like seriously, how does a family with the name Dinklage think it's a good idea to name their kid Peter? I guess it's not quite as bad as naming him Richard but still...

Oh man, I forgot about Peter, that's a good one. Also Dinklage – I feel like that if you said 'my Dinklage hurts' everyone will know what you're talking about. Is that just the first syllable's pure phonic similarity to 'Dick' or is there something about the 'kl' that implies 'tinkle' as well that puts it over the top?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My deadname was Cock Johnson.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

chaosbreather posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Peter, that's a good one. Also Dinklage – I feel like that if you said 'my Dinklage hurts' everyone will know what you're talking about. Is that just the first syllable's pure phonic similarity to 'Dick' or is there something about the 'kl' that implies 'tinkle' as well that puts it over the top?

Dink is another word for Dick.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Wink Dickerson

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I remember when someone put "Mike Hawk" as their name on a spelling test in 5th grade and instead of using the power of deduction and adult reasoning, the teacher decided to angrily ask the class over and over who decided to put "Mike Hawk" as their nam.

The legend tried a repeat with Hugh Jazz but it just didn't hit the same.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

My Filipino family told me kiki is slang for vagina, not dick, so I'm not sure where that slots into the theory

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
big kiki energy

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
is this dick a yanny or a laurel i can't tell it just keeps swapping back and forth

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Nicknamed Slitney years ago after paparazzi took pictures of her exiting the backseat of a car without panties, where you could see the lot. Major media published the blurred versions, but the unblurred ones were available online. Not good jackoff material because of Slitney's recent Caesarian scar.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's because the penis is the funniest and also most important body part

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Penises are weird, they look awesome when erect and so so sad when flaccid.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

The gently caress if I'm reading all this, op go screw yourself

So you think OP's a dick?

IMO OP's preliminary research is sound, and I wish them well in their doctorate thesis on this "gripping" subject.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Miles O’Toole

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

didn't read

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

chaosbreather posted:

Why does this effect seem to be almost entirely restricted to penises and no other reproductive or non-reproductive body parts?

Fanny is slang for vagina in British English, which often leads to hilarious misunderstandings when discussing spanking in mixed company, which is something that I do a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s because men are OBSESSED with penises OP.