Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
do you normally focus 100% on whatever videogame youre playing or do you have other stuff going on. how so and why. sound off in the comments below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like "Pod Cast Gaming" op. usually with something grindy or mostly exploration-based with little story like Hollow Knight

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
with something like an arcade or arcade-style game i obviously have to focus on the game completely but ive had success with sticking wiht longer form games by having my laptop open next to me with forums/discord open. but ive never been able to like watch stuff while gaming which i know some people can do

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
bump. anyone have any thoughts on this? im doing a study

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Not really, which is weird, because I multitask and bounce my attention around a lot normally, but even listening to a podcast while playing all but the most simple and repetitive game would be hard for me for some reason. Feel like I wouldn't really be able to enjoy either

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'll listen to music or put on a stream if I'm playing a sports game or casual multiplayer game like Rocket League. But if I'm playing some sort of single-player crafted experience or a multiplayer game that needs concentration, I'm doing nothing but playing the video game with nothing else distracting me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm a focused gamer OP.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
depends on the game op but generally i'll have a show i've already watched on the other monitor, or perhaps a warzone stream, or if its NFL season then the games. if its a story game then nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally watching youtube and reading forums at the same time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No op, podcasts are a worthless distraction and a poor substitute for actual human interaction and self led learning. And music is out too because if the game you are playing has bad music play a better game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Full concentration unless I'm grinding in an RPG or something. Then I might put a podcast on until I'm done. Anything else and you're destroying your own attention span and ability to focus.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All video games deserve your undivided attention.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

American McGay posted:

i agree but with this philosophy all too often i just bounce around forums and discord and twitch or whatever for hours instead of gaming so if i just have my laptop next to me with forums/discord open while i game then i can actually play for a good while without becoming disinterested. it's a disease with no cure. unless i want to get back on my adderall script. which i dont

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Walrus posted:

And music is out too because if the game you are playing has bad music play a better game.

i was beginning to think i was alone in this opinion on this loving subject

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I sit gamer stanced firmly in the recliner with headphones on, staring intently at the screen and soaking in every detail. During load screens I might check my phone but modern gaming has really cut back on those opportunities.

chuckelZ
Jun 7, 2004

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
I miss the Xbox one snap even though it sucked. I usually do podcast or YouTube on phone.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have incredibly bad ADHD and I am incapable of sitting through a loading screen or a cutscene or any part where I am not actively interacting with the game without either having something to watch on another monitor or alt-tabbing out of the game to do something else while it loads

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never play multiplayer games with any of my friends or anyone I actually know or any sort of dedicated group because it's so difficult for me to play games without something to watch/listen to in the background that I refuse to use voice comms

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Before I play any game I sit in Vipassanā mediation to still my mind and access either the second or third jhana of consciousness. I also take 20mg of Adderall and it makes my focus absolutely unwavering. I reach for the controller only after eliminating all traces of ego identification and emotion. The moment my fingers touch the d-pad my mind automatically merges with whichever console I choose to play that day and I enter the digital reality I have selected. My focus on the game is so technically precise and steady that I no longer am aware of the concepts of space and time. This will continue uninterrupted for at least 6 hours but I can sometimes do up to 10 hours if I re-dose Adderall, which I do a couple times a week. Honestly this is the only way to play games IMO and I'm always the carry on the team.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

American McGay posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i try to get as most out of a game as possible but i dont finish many open world games because i usually get overwhelmed and get bored trying to do everything OP