Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Problem description: This problem confounds me. Whenever I slot both RAM sticks into the recommended slots DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (the slots are color-coded) I get a black screen when I boot up the PC despite it turning on without issue. No POST or anything. It says there is no video signal.

Attempted fixes: So I thought, okay, maybe one of the RAM sticks is just busted. It was sitting unused for a while and maybe somehow got damaged. So I went about testing them. I first removed the RAM in DIMM_B2 (which I'll just call B2 from now on). I kept the RAM stick in DIMM_A2 (A2). The PC booted up fine. Got POST and then went to desktop. I moved the RAM to B2. POST and desktop. Okay, so maybe the other stick is busted. So I tested it to make sure. Slotted it in A2. POST and desktop. Slotted it in B2. POST and desktop. So... the RAM and slots aren't busted. So I tried again and slotted them both in A2 and B2. Nothing. I tried the other slots of A1 and B1 with the same sticks in each one with each stick and I got a blank screen. I have no idea what the heck. I made sure both were slotted in firmly and all the way too, so that wasn't the problem.

Recent changes: Not really. It's my old PC that I did a factory reset in Windows to give to another family member. It stayed unused for a couple of years because I was still using the GPU that was in it until I got my mitts on a 3080. Since I got one recently I put the old GPU back in.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:

Motherboard: Asus Z97M Plus
CPU: Intel i5-8600k @ 3.6GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-3000 x2 8GB sticks (2133MHz)
Storage: Intel 256gb m.2 (boot drive)
Storage: Toshiba 1gb HHD sata (extra)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.

If that doesn't help then try onboard video temporarily.

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
Were both sticks part of the same kit ?
RAM sticks not sold as part of a kit have a chance of not working together.

If the sticks are part of the same kit, did you enable XMP and select the profile stored on the ram in bios ?