Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Oath Complete!

Graveyard Diorama and Zombies, with a fair amount of weathering on the building and stonework:

The next couple pictures include zombie figs from a couple months ago:

With an all together now for the year...

Now I managed to find all my monster figs to include in the pic, however I painted one regular dude with a beer at the start of the season and he has completely vanished from my collection, hmm... (So I just copied in an old pic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete

I am claiming the monthly challenge for the patina on the bronze of this golem.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, Season 13 is officially done barring some admin. Thanks again to everyone who participated!

Is there any interest for a season 14? Participation seems to have dropped off significantly in the past few months. Also, there doesn't seem to have been much engagement with the achievements or monthly challenges, not sure if this is general lack of interest or if it's the specific ones.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Wet paint, dead phone, missed deadline, but hell yeah, Oath Complete

Edit: I mean I'd be interested in another but I couldn't really tell you what it's missing. I was surprised to find it still kicking, really. Does it get much of a shout out in the other threads?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Zark the Damned posted:

OK, Season 13 is officially done barring some admin. Thanks again to everyone who participated!

Is there any interest for a season 14? Participation seems to have dropped off significantly in the past few months. Also, there doesn't seem to have been much engagement with the achievements or monthly challenges, not sure if this is general lack of interest or if it's the specific ones.

I'm always interested in a new season, but I'm very bad with remembering achievements or monthly stuff.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

Thank you for running the thread! I would keep going for another season. Maybe we can hit the various model threads and see about raising some more participation? I really benefit from this because it keeps me painting each month, even if only a little bit.

I do enjoy the monthly themes, they are good for inspiration when I am not sure what I want to paint at all. I am terrible about the achievements, but that is more about me than them.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Maybe move it to the tg discord?

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
For several seasons I have found the oath thread to be very motivating to get me to paint, so for purely selfish reasons I'd love to see it keep going :-) I think at this point I've done the achievements enough times that I haven't worried about them much lately, but I do try to keep doing the monthly's especially when I'm not in the mood to do anything in particular for a given month. Anyhow really appreciate the judging, and I think if we don't 'officially' keep oathing I will unofficially oath in some thread or other....

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Final Season 13 gallery now up - https://imgur.com/a/BTkximg

Having put some more thought into continuing, I've settled on a couple options.

1. If someone's willing to step up and take care of admin, I'll hand over the details for the spreadsheets and gallery etc.
2, Otherwise I'll need to figure out a simpler system without as many overheads, a more casual Oath season.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Zark the Damned posted:

Final Season 13 gallery now up - https://imgur.com/a/BTkximg

Having put some more thought into continuing, I've settled on a couple options.

1. If someone's willing to step up and take care of admin, I'll hand over the details for the spreadsheets and gallery etc.
2, Otherwise I'll need to figure out a simpler system without as many overheads, a more casual Oath season.

Hey so I was going to post a proposal for a much more casual approach, I was going to suggest just a new 'Painting Promise' thread with the following changes:
- No points, no achievements, no ranking
- Post unpainted figs for the promise, but don't need the timeserver screenshot
- No actual judging however pointing out what you like about other people's work is encouraged
- Maybe include the monthly challenges since those are often inspirational (but maybe randomized...)

I know for me, things like the achievements aren't as much of a driver after a few years, however I pretty much have a psychological dependency on just doing the oath every month to keep myself painting, and so just having a Painting Promise thread would be enough for me, and maybe fine for others too.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to pick up some admin work if that will help keep the thread going (and I do plenty of Excel IRL so I think I can deal with that.)

Thoughts?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That might be a cooler way to do it! Make your painting promise with a starting photo (any state) and a goal:

"I painting promise to finish these goblins in 3 weeks " and then you're on your own to achieve it.

Maybe solicit red texts for promise breakers, but the real prize and purpose is getting your figures painted.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

gameraMan posted:

Hey so I was going to post a proposal for a much more casual approach, I was going to suggest just a new 'Painting Promise' thread with the following changes:
- No points, no achievements, no ranking
- Post unpainted figs for the promise, but don't need the timeserver screenshot
- No actual judging however pointing out what you like about other people's work is encouraged
- Maybe include the monthly challenges since those are often inspirational (but maybe randomized...)

I know for me, things like the achievements aren't as much of a driver after a few years, however I pretty much have a psychological dependency on just doing the oath every month to keep myself painting, and so just having a Painting Promise thread would be enough for me, and maybe fine for others too.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to pick up some admin work if that will help keep the thread going (and I do plenty of Excel IRL so I think I can deal with that.)

Thoughts?
I am definitely down with a more casual version; I have to admit that I don't worry at all about points and I am really terrible about following achievements. I would be down for posting unpainted figures with a pledge, then conclusion pictures when done - my preference is to keep it monthly but that can be changed if people like. We can probably say farewell to the judging, without points we get the same thing just acknowledging people directly.

I enjoy the monthly challenges - they help provide some inspiration when I don't know what I want to work on and encourage me to push on a miniature more than I might otherwise. So it would be cool if we could keep that (even just repeat the options from prior years if that's simpler)

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I also support the idea of a more casual thread. I never really cared about points and achievements but enjoyed looking at the judges' picks.
However, I would still prefer oaths to be "monthly" because it pushes me to paint and post something every month. Its really good incentive for me.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

However, I would still prefer oaths to be "monthly" because it pushes me to paint and post something every month. Its really good incentive for me.

I totally agree on the 'monthly' part, but also there's a few projects I wish I had more than a month to work on (like my graveyard scene last month). So I was thinking of including something like a 'monthly affirmation' for longer projects, maybe post a progress pic each month. But yea trying to combine flexibility, with something like a monthly driver to make progress on projects.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I've written up an OP for this new Promise thread and are looking for your inputs. If I don't hear something like 'no, we'll re-start the Oath thread instead', I will post this in a couple of days:

SA Painting Promise Thread Season 1
Welcome to the Painting Promise Thread!

This is a place to make a promise to complete a miniatures painting project, typically monthly, however you can promise whatever start and end dates makes sense for your own project. Both miniatures projects and scenery projects (and the combination of the two) are welcome. Promises are typically made for painting unfinished figures and scenery, however feel free to promise key renovations of painted figures, overhauls, whatever it is the work you want to do for the month.

The purpose of this thread is to help motivate us painters and hobbyists who just require deadlines to get anything done, and also any discussion about whatever projects people are working on.

Wait what happened to the Oath thread?
The Oath thread has been retired in favor of this new (and much more relaxed) Promise thread, more about that later.

What are the rules
There are no rules.

Ok then, what are the 'guidelines'
  1. Make a post including a picture of your unfinished mini, in whatever state you want to start your project. Use an online image hosting service like Imgur and link your images from there. Optionally you may want to include a picture of your starting image with Current Time in American Samoa in view behind the picture. This may be your tradition from the Oath thread that you want to continue, or else you might just find it useful to help keep track of the history of your projects this way.
  2. When you are complete, post a picture of your completed work in whatever setting you choose.
  3. Progress pictures are welcome and discussion of your work and others is encouraged.
  4. You may want to include a 'watermark' of your SA user name as part of the with start and completion pictures, but this is not required. (As there are no rules).
  5. There will be an optional[1] monthly challenge that is TBD, that might be a choice of a couple, and might be randomized.
  6. Recommend if you have a project crossing month boundaries, and/or taking longer than a month, making a 'monthly affirmation' ideally with a progress photo, to help keep you motivated and so we get to see what you are doing.
So how does this differ from the Oath thread?
No points, judges, spreadsheet, achivements, galleries.
Setting your own time frames for painting.

Resources
Links that might be useful when thinking about your projects:

1. Season 13 (for inspiration)
  2. Season 13 Spreadsheet
  3. Current Time in American Samoa
So... why the change from the Oathing thread?
Over the last couple years attendance and judging dropped off, and for the die hard Oathers there was less and less interest in the competitive aspect. At the end of season 13 it was generally agreed that we wanted some kind of 'oath' thread, just a lot more relaxed (and ideally a lot less work to administrate), so this new Promise thread was proposed. The Oath threads were great motivators and certainly kick started a new era of minis painting and scenery projects for me, and it's worth digging through the old threads and see all the great work that was done.

So welcome to the Painting Promise thread, and remember it's a promise you make to yourself!

[1] As there are no rules.

======================

All inputs welcome, thanks!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I think this is a good idea, and I need some motivation so may have a go. But one suggestion/request: I always liked the photos with the American Samoa time stamp. It seems like SA history and would be a pity to lose this odd little tradition.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I am a very irregular participant, but I would really like a more relaxed format (preferably without the timed photo).

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I think it's okay to just keep calling them oaths if the timelines become self-set, painting promise just lacks the same energy.

I like monthly themes as an option, for something to engage with (and probably something to post to bump the thread with). The fun of a monthly oath cycle is the sense of being in it together with people rather than just pursuing your own projects, and having a theme post could be a way to keep some of that. Even if it's just something someone nominates once a month then picks someone else to decide the next one, or just roll a dice on the last monthly list. Anything to keep the thread greased occasionally.

I'd keep doing the American Samoa photos just because that's just a quaint tradition, but the goal being minimising barriers to engagement I wouldn't hold anyone else to it. That and the judging/points format were holdovers from when there were prizes on the line, so it's easy enough to let them go.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like "Prompt" might be a better choice than "Theme" for the monthly. It's a little more consistent with the other collective creative things out there

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
We have Opinions!

Beffer posted:

I think this is a good idea, and I need some motivation so may have a go. But one suggestion/request: I always liked the photos with the American Samoa time stamp. It seems like SA history and would be a pity to lose this odd little tradition.

followed by...

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I am a very irregular participant, but I would really like a more relaxed format (preferably without the timed photo).

Given at least a couple people would rather not do the timed photo I think best to not 'enforce' this (which we can't anyway), however I think I will add a 'Traditions' section with this as an item.

Destrado posted:

I think it's okay to just keep calling them oaths if the timelines become self-set, painting promise just lacks the same energy.

So I hesitate to keep the 'Oath' term for this new thread, just so we can have a clear distinction between this thread and the old set of threads . But also I'd rather not claim the Oath title on this thread unless we get the ok from Zark since it was his thread last. If I can figure out how to set up a vote perhaps we can vote on the title...

moths posted:

I feel like "Prompt" might be a better choice than "Theme" for the monthly. It's a little more consistent with the other collective creative things out there

I agree with this and will change it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I would like to keep the Monthly Theme/Prompt as part of the thread, even if we don't require anyone to follow a monthly promise. So if you want to to make a pledge to complete something in a week, or by a specific tournament, that's fine, but we could still set each month to have a particular prompt for people who want the inspiration or challenge for it. I know personally it is something I really like in the threads.

I don't care too much about terms but for what it's worth I think we can keep calling it 'oaths' without any issue - no one owns that term, the threads have been through lots of organizers, and I doubt anyone cares seeing as we're the ones keeping up with it. If they have strong feelings they can come participate to get their say!

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

I'm fine either way. I kind of skipped out on Season 13 after doing most of Season 12, but I'm committed to this season of whatever it is. I like the idea of not having to do the initial American Samoa photo part because I tend to just get started and then go "poo poo, I didn't take a photo of this before I started painting."

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like the future of oathing is in good hands :)

One thought I had, instead of monthly challenges / prompts, there could be a list of them with no specific months, as a kind of 'need some inspiration? Why not try one of these' kind of thing. Possibly keep the odd seasonal one like a spooky mini for Halloween etc.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Ok sounds like everyone is in on Casual Oathing! I'm gonna go ahead and launch this new thing, and we'll just have to tune things as we go. Thanks for all the discussion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Link to the new thread for people who live in bookmarks: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032531&perpage=40&noseen=1