Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I originally thought Skyscraper by Bad Religion was about 9/11 based on these lyrics

quote:

Build me up, tear me down like a skyscraper
Build me up, then tear down these joining walls
So they can't climb at all

I know why you tore it down that day
You thought that if you got caught, we'd all go away
Like a spoiled little baby who can't come out and play
You had your revenge

The song was actually released in 1993. It is literally about the tower of Babel story, it does mention Babel but I thought it was an allegory.

The other song I was going to talk about was My Hero by Foo Fighters being about Kurt Cobain but apparently someone found an old interview with Dave Grohl where he said it does have some connection to him though he originally says it's just about every day people.

I especially thought this lyric was a tribute to Kurt because of it's similarity to the quote of Neil Young in his suicide note "It's better to burn out than to fade away" but I don't know if that's true.

quote:

Don't the best of them bleed it out
While the rest of them peter out?

Here's the page with the article from 1997 (I find it kinda fascinating that you can still access these archives)

So what songs have you totally gotten the meaning wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
No one will ever fully convince me that Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard isn’t about kids getting caught smoking weed.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkEc2V3mO4

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sittin’ on a Cock ‘Cause I’m Gay

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you listen to lyrics

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

The Walrus posted:

lol if you listen to lyrics

Blackmetal made me understand vocals as an instrument and going back over music its really 50/50 bands who think they need a singer and bands who have vocals as a part of the band like an instrument.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think it is disrespectful to the artist when you misinterpret their lyrics and you won't catch me doing it

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Bad Purchase posted:

i think it is disrespectful to the artist when you misinterpret their lyrics and you won't catch me doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Gbx1X8eGs&t=304s

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

shes got a chicken to ride lmao