Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

HopperUK posted:

Pine smells fresh and sharp and clean, and it's a good neutraliser of other scents, like it isn't cloyingly strong so as to be unpleasant, but it masks a lot of unpleasant smells. That's why people like it a lot.

I get the sense that smell is all about volume, like if hearing couldn't be turned off and you had to crank the whitenoise to get some peace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Elentor posted:

It's a double-edged sword because migraine auras can be triggered by images and similar procedures (especially in photosensitive people) but you can also shut down a headache if you get migraine auras sufficiently earlier than the actual migraine. If you take pills as soon as it starts and it lasts, say, 30 minutes it's possible to get just the auras, effectively turning it into an acephalgic migraine.

I too get migraine auras but not the migraines. First time it happened (in my twenties) I thought I was having a stroke, but thankfully if you google "I think I am having a stroke" it takes you straight to the Wikipedia page about migraine auras which had those words on it as it's such a common thing to happen to first time sufferers. Once I read that and was calmed down, I just went upstairs and took a wee nap.

Lately I've been experimenting with the idea that aspartame is related to when I get them, though I believe that's junk science, though after several months of drinking one then deciding to have a caffeine free diet Pepsi (and not even thinking about the experiment) then getting the migraine aura makes me wonder. Maybe I'll try some vitamin B2 too.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Analytic Engine posted:

There's a third input to flavor on top of taste and smell, called the trigeminal nerve. It controls facial muscles etc but is also how you detect mint / metal / capsaicin / alcohol / ammonia. Anosmics can "taste" all those things on their tongues or in their nasal cavity, and so can nosmics pinching their nose, because the substances trigger that nerve.

Is this what makes strong mints "taste" cold, and spice hot? I always wondered about that :aaa:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Glad to help all yall find out about acephalgic migraine

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Elentor posted:

Glad to help all yall find out about acephalgic migraine

Do you ever reach "un-thinkable" thoughts during them? Like imagining new art on LSD and keeping the memory afterwords

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Analytic Engine posted:

I get the sense that smell is all about volume, like if hearing couldn't be turned off and you had to crank the whitenoise to get some peace?

Sort of, yeah. Some smells will fade into the background, a bit like how you'll stop noticing, say, your car's engine noise or your computer's fans running. You have to make an effort to notice the smells again. But some are strong or unpleasant enough that you never get used to them, like someone's car alarm going off outside for an hour.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is this what makes strong mints "taste" cold, and spice hot? I always wondered about that :aaa:

Actually spice may be non-trigeminal, where capsaicin jams your tastebuds in overdrive mode. Reading a book on this stuff would be helpful, I should stop leaning on 15 year old knowledge lol

Here's the classic question for this kind of thread: how vivid is your visual imagination / mind's eye? Some people are mentally blind (aphantasia) and go their whole lives without learning that this isn't a metaphor; neurotypicals actually can form images in their brain and project them onto their field of vision, though they might be "unreal" or vague & transparent like mine

Sound works the same way. Earworms are unwanted thoughts of the song playing inside your head, and composers can play whole orchestras in there. My Dad can't hear anything without soundwaves and he's lowkey ashamed of it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My visual and audio imaginations are very strong. Detailed images, I can play a song back to myself like hearing it for real. I remember this girl I used to work with discovered that she had absolutely no capacity to imagine sounds at all. She thought when people said they had a song stuck in their head, they were just thinking about it a lot. That was an interesting conversation to have.
I ain't no neurotypical though, my brain is made of squirrels.
Folk with less vivid mental images - does that mean memories are also less vivid and intrusive? Because that might be nice in some ways.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Analytic Engine posted:

Do you ever reach "un-thinkable" thoughts during them? Like imagining new art on LSD and keeping the memory afterwords

Yeah but I don't like them. There are some art made representing migraine aura and the zigzag patterns but they're almost scotoma inducing to me just to look at. It's not interesting as a new color, it's just that given enough migraine auras the lack of information in the scintillating scotoma becomes a sort of information itself as your brain adapts. In fact this is almost like attributing information to the concept of nothingness since you can't focus on the scotoma, so being able to think about it in a way we can't properly think about, say, the corner of our vision, is uncanny.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

I was under the impression ammonia and vinegar trigger the pain receptors in the nostrils, which do still function as normal in us anosmics. Figured it'd be more nuanced than that, though.

Most anosmics can't stand spicy food it seems, but I trained myself out of that as a kid, so I can enjoy taco bell white person weaksauce spicy at least. Cannot stand really bitter things like coffee tho, or any alcohol for that matter. I got a hell of a sweet tooth, at least.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Analytic Engine posted:

Actually spice may be non-trigeminal, where capsaicin jams your tastebuds in overdrive mode. Reading a book on this stuff would be helpful, I should stop leaning on 15 year old knowledge lol

Here's the classic question for this kind of thread: how vivid is your visual imagination / mind's eye? Some people are mentally blind (aphantasia) and go their whole lives without learning that this isn't a metaphor; neurotypicals actually can form images in their brain and project them onto their field of vision, though they might be "unreal" or vague & transparent like mine

Sound works the same way. Earworms are unwanted thoughts of the song playing inside your head, and composers can play whole orchestras in there. My Dad can't hear anything without soundwaves and he's lowkey ashamed of it

so like people can make brain holograms? like augmented reality or something? i can imagine things visually but not like, add it to what I am actually seeing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

I was under the impression ammonia and vinegar trigger the pain receptors in the nostrils, which do still function as normal in us anosmics. Figured it'd be more nuanced than that, though.

Most anosmics can't stand spicy food it seems, but I trained myself out of that as a kid, so I can enjoy taco bell white person weaksauce spicy at least. Cannot stand really bitter things like coffee tho, or any alcohol for that matter. I got a hell of a sweet tooth, at least.

Huh, when I was completely anosmic it didn't affect how much I liked spicy food.

The first thing I remember being able to smell after a few years of anosmia was triclosan, the disinfectant. And just that at first, nothing else. It was weird.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

so like people can make brain holograms? like augmented reality or something? i can imagine things visually but not like, add it to what I am actually seeing.

Sounds like you might have ahologramia, you should join our reddit community and where we talk about our experiences re: not being able to form brain holograms. Whatever you do, don't join the atelevisionia community; those who are unable to see their imagination as a television screen are total freaks.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Huh, when I was completely anosmic it didn't affect how much I liked spicy food.

The first thing I remember being able to smell after a few years of anosmia was triclosan, the disinfectant. And just that at first, nothing else. It was weird.

Sorry, I meant congenital anosmics. Obviously, people who lose their nosmia have a lifetime of brain connections and patterns built up around it and know what they're missing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am aphantasic and don't think in images at all it kinda sucks. I have absolutely no visual imagination

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
thru all the FAKES and PHONIES

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am aphantasic and don't think in images at all it kinda sucks. I have absolutely no visual imagination

so if I told you to imagine whatever the gently caress is happening in your avatar but those two guys are wearing red cowboy hats.. you just can't do that?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
For me the migraine aura is visually quite boring. it's either a little warped area (like I can't read a line of text as there's a little warp right in the middle of my vision obscuring the word I'm currently looking at, and it's frustrating) or a "crack" like a bolt of lightning. Inside the bolt of lightning there's just colour static (e.g. it looks exactly like when a computer draws static, instead of old TV static which had no colour information and so was monochrome), but there's nothing unworldly about the colours or anything, it's just annoying.

The artists impression on the Wikipedia "migraine aura" page are both accurate, in that it totally describes what I see for the "lightning" one, but also kind of bad, like they draw it on top of the view, and for me, it kind of "feels" more like the crack is coming from underneath the "image" from my eyes. Which is a weird way to describe it, but really, their artists impressions just imply some kind of layering, but to me it's more like a tear in the image, and through the cut you just see the 'background" of colourful static noise.

I think I've experienced slight kind of visual snow, and only when looking at something visually noisy like a carpet, which I think is the same thing.

Basically the whole thing is annoying and I wish it would go away, which is why I was trying to cut out the aspartame 😛 I know it's genetic though, as my dad also gets migraines.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Bloop posted:

so if I told you to imagine whatever the gently caress is happening in your avatar but those two guys are wearing red cowboy hats.. you just can't do that?

I can conceptualize what it would look like in a way, but not much further than thinking the words "those two guys would be wearing red cowboy hats". Like logically I know that those two guys would be wearing red cowboy hats and I know what a red cowboy hat is so I could think about maybe what the color red or the cowboy motif would bring to the image but I can't picture it unless I actually draw red cowboy hats on them.

Upside: I'm a strong writer and reader because thinking purely in words is natural to me and I was reading at "a college reading level" by the time I was in 3rd grade
Downside: Doing something like e.g. writing fiction is very difficult when you can't visualize the characters or settings, any kind of engineering/building task is way beyond my capabilities because I can't envision what the other side of a structure looks like/would look like, stuff like that.

I almost described it as "my thoughts are like reading a novel" but then I realized that most people can probably visualize the things they're reading about :v:

e: This is a good description of what it's like:
https://themighty.com/2018/06/aphantasia-not-able-to-picture-imagine-things/

quote:

I have no memories of my past, at least not in the way that others experience them. Others can close their eyes and be transported back to a sunny beach they visited years ago, reliving the beauty of the moment. For me, all I have is a stream of facts. I can tell you the approximate dates I was there, can tell you how blue the water was, comparing it to other recollections I have to similar shades of blue. I can tell you how warm the air felt by comparing it to other types of warmth, but I can never relive that day. My mind catalogues data. It does not retain memories.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 10, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So if i ask 'how many windows are there on the front of your house' what thought process do you follow to answer it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The house faces south. There are two bedrooms with south-facing windows and a large south-facing picture window in the living room. There's another bedroom with a west-facing window and a second west-facing window in the kitchen. There's also a sliding glass door that faces north and two north-facing windows in the kitchen. Then another bedroom on the north side which has another sliding glass door. Those are all the windows in the house.

I don't know how to describe the thought process exactly because it's basically exactly what you just read, like there's nothing more to it than listing those words out. I just started typing the sentence and it's almost like autocomplete on a phone, those facts are filed away somewhere and surface automatically when they become contextually-relevant. I could even list off facts about what can be seen out the windows - out the picture window in the living room there's a large tree across the street (no idea what type) directly ahead. The house on my left of the tree has a "gently caress BIDEN" flag and the guy who lives there screams at his wife and kids constantly. The house on the right has a lawn (I'm in Arizona so most houses don't). I just can't actually picture it or look at it in my mind, and if there's a specific fact I don't have on file (like, what color their cars are) then there's absolutely no way for me to think about it and figure it out - there's not like an old photo stashed in my mind I can look at and figure it out from. So anything I don't consciously make a mental note of at some point is essentially lost on me.

e: It's just now dawning on me that this might explain my test-taking speed in school. I was always the kid who would walk up and turn the test in 5 minutes after it was handed out. Everyone always assumed it was because I was smart or studied a lot, but no - it was just because when I looked at a question I either knew the answer right away or I didn't know it at all. If I didn't immediately recall the answer there was nothing for me to "look through" in my memory of the class or homework to see if it showed up somewhere. It either got consciously recorded and now gets auto-filled or it didn't and that knowledge does not exist to me, so I would guess and move on.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 10, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

Sounds like you might have ahologramia, you should join our reddit community and where we talk about our experiences re: not being able to form brain holograms. Whatever you do, don't join the atelevisionia community; those who are unable to see their imagination as a television screen are total freaks.

Aphanatsia was invented a few years ago because people stopped believing in this despite Francis Galton's book existing for over 100 years, and the word gave power to people who felt like freaks or didn't understand what everyone else was saying
https://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Galton/imagery.htm

I looked at r/anosmia once and it was all trauma/disease victims and some sad sack congenitals, no thanks. If I want to whine I'll do it on SA where I might learn something or trade jokes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay let's get really abstract about this

A) I'm an artist
B) I have aphantasia
C) I am almost entirely blind in one eye (refractive amblyopia - it does not allow an appropriate amount of light in) but have near-perfect vision in my other eye
D) This (along with doctors in the 80s not understanding the condition and trying to correct it with glasses, which made it worse) lead to me having a condition called anisometropia where effectively my bad eye's vision is entirely filtered out of my consciousness. I do not consciously see out of my bad eye at all unless I close my good eye, with both eyes open my bad eye functions much like we imagine a blind person's vision works (the same thing you see out the back of your head). I'm vaguely aware of things in my peripheral but that's about it.
E) While contrary to belief the Human brain has 18 methods of depth perception and only three rely on binocular input, combined with my aphantasia I severely struggle with perspective. Despite understanding it logically and being able to sort of 'math it out' with the right tools, I cannot draw art with "proper depth". Everything gets reduced to a flat, 2d cutout version of itself.

So as an example here is an image of a building I drew sometime last year:

And maybe you look at it and think "Hah, the wonky-perspective design is a neat stylization choice" I can assure you that it was not intended. Drawing this, the edges and lines were absolutely intended to be parallel, with right angles. It's just that without proper tools (e.g. a straight edge, a line guide, a compass, etc.) this is what my brain naturally translates as "square" - everything is weird, off, and skewed.

When I draw something like a city skyline, every building is a flat 2d side-view. The buildings that aren't, where I try to show a second or even third side of the building, are wonky as hell (in a cool way, I mean), e.g.:

And, kind of the reason I'm posting this ultimately, I have recently learned that I can severely lessen this phenomenon by... closing my bad eye while I draw. Doing so barely registers on my consciousness as a change in vision. Nothing looks different, I don't suddenly have worse eyesight or less (conscious) visual input. Suddenly I can maintain straight lines and consistent angles and perspective (kind of). Here's a drawing I finished the other day, shortly after realizing this. It's not my favorite work or anything but, as small as it is, it blew me away how all of the buildings shown at an angle kept consistent angles and perspectives, and that was all freehand :shrug:

So it's made me realize that for my entire life I've probably been looking at the world with all kinds of hosed-up perspective going on, influencing the way I was seeing things with input from my bad eye that I didn't even consciously realize was sending me visual information.

My problem was never that I "lacked binocular vision", it was that my binocular vision was hosed and wonky and less reliable than monocular vision.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 10, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

E) While contrary to belief the Human brain has 18 methods of depth perception and only three rely on binocular input

:aaaaa: wtf that's wild

Awesome art & post, this thread owns. If you look at that first drawing does it still look squared and parallel? Does it change if you close your bad eye? Or is it just while you are imagining and drawing it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My problem was never that I "lacked binocular vision", it was that my binocular vision was hosed and wonky and less reliable than monocular vision.

Goddamn dude I've been amazed by your artwork lately, never knew you were aphantasic, that's bonkers to me. I can't imagine. My mind's eye is way better than my dumb physical eyeballs that hardly work.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A) I'm an artist
B) I have aphantasia
C) I am almost entirely blind in one eye (refractive amblyopia - it does not allow an appropriate amount of light in) but have near-perfect vision in my other eye
D) This (along with doctors in the 80s not understanding the condition and trying to correct it with glasses, which made it worse) lead to me having a condition called anisometropia where effectively my bad eye's vision is entirely filtered out of my consciousness. I do not consciously see out of my bad eye at all unless I close my good eye, with both eyes open my bad eye functions much like we imagine a blind person's vision works (the same thing you see out the back of your head). I'm vaguely aware of things in my peripheral but that's about it.
E) While contrary to belief the Human brain has 18 methods of depth perception and only three rely on binocular input, combined with my aphantasia I severely struggle with perspective. Despite understanding it logically and being able to sort of 'math it out' with the right tools, I cannot draw art with "proper depth". Everything gets reduced to a flat, 2d cutout version of itself.

Your artwork is loving sick

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Folk with less vivid mental images - does that mean memories are also less vivid and intrusive? Because that might be nice in some ways.

Nope :(

I’m not completely aphantasic, but my visual imagination is very weak. Painful memories are still emotionally vivid for me, even if I can’t replay all the visual details, or hold them in my mind for long. It’s not images that haunt me, it’s how an event made me feel, or what someone said at the time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A) I'm an artist
B) I have aphantasia

So as an example here is an image of a building I drew sometime last year:

And maybe you look at it and think "Hah, the wonky-perspective design is a neat stylization choice" I can assure you that it was not intended. Drawing this, the edges and lines were absolutely intended to be parallel, with right angles. It's just that without proper tools (e.g. a straight edge, a line guide, a compass, etc.) this is what my brain naturally translates as "square" - everything is weird, off, and skewed.

When I draw something like a city skyline, every building is a flat 2d side-view. The buildings that aren't, where I try to show a second or even third side of the building, are wonky as hell (in a cool way, I mean), e.g.:

And, kind of the reason I'm posting this ultimately, I have recently learned that I can severely lessen this phenomenon by... closing my bad eye while I draw. Doing so barely registers on my consciousness as a change in vision. Nothing looks different, I don't suddenly have worse eyesight or less (conscious) visual input. Suddenly I can maintain straight lines and consistent angles and perspective (kind of). Here's a drawing I finished the other day, shortly after realizing this. It's not my favorite work or anything but, as small as it is, it blew me away how all of the buildings shown at an angle kept consistent angles and perspectives, and that was all freehand :shrug:

So it's made me realize that for my entire life I've probably been looking at the world with all kinds of hosed-up perspective going on, influencing the way I was seeing things with input from my bad eye that I didn't even consciously realize was sending me visual information.

I love your art.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
More like APHANTASTIC amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks y'all :kiddo:

:aaaaa: wtf that's wild

Awesome art & post, this thread owns. If you look at that first drawing does it still look squared and parallel? Does it change if you close your bad eye? Or is it just while you are imagining and drawing it?

It looks just as out of perspective as it does to you, but when drawing lines that are supposed to be parallell (with both eyes open) that's what happens if I go with my gut