Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

16-year-old super-studier Nagi Umino, second-year student at the Meguro River Academy high school, was switched at birth. On his way to a dinner to meet his birth parents, he accidentally meets the brash, outspoken, Erika Amano, who is determined to make Nagi her fake boyfriend as she never wants to actually marry. But once Nagi makes it to dinner, he finds his parents have decided to resolve the hospital switch by conveniently having him marry the daughter his birth parents raised...who turns out to be none other than Erika herself! (Thanks, MAL)

A Couple of Cuckoos is a romcom by Yoshikawa Miki (Yankee-kun and Megane-chan, Yamada and the Seven Witches) that has been running for a while now and given popularity and the creator's past work likely will for a while. As a romcom fan I've been enjoying it and like all the characters and art which has been clearly evolving over the artist's career. The protagonists become a pretty tight knit group with a fun dynamic between them. The adaptation has been good so far though it started later in the season, and it has a banger of an ED.

Our boy

Nagi Umino
Nagi is an earnest boy who is obsessed with studying both to get a good education on scholarship to help his parents (former delinquent working class restaurant owners) and prove himself to his crush, and as a result has no friends. He's not particularly keen on the engagement to Erika arranged by their parents or particularly on board with his birth parents.

Select your fighter

Erika Amano
Hotel heiress and popular instagrammer with as much cluelessness as you'd expect to come from that. She also doesn't really have any friends and isn't very close with her family because of those circumstances, so she's happy with getting to know a new family. She's spoiled and mostly just out to have fun. It cannot be overstated that she is a very dumb baby.

Sachi Umino
Nagi's little sister* (technically Erika's), worried about losing her brother to a different family and concerned about the increasing number of girls around him. She and Erika get along quite well.

Hiro Segawa
Nagi's crush and the heir to a major shrine with certain responsibilities that come with. Hyper competitive and #1 in everything she does. Part of Nagi's motivation for studying so hard is her offhand comment that she would only date someone smarter than she is. Comes off a bit psycho at times.

There's definitely some background stuff going on with Erika's father/Nagi's birth father beyond just the romcom antics, but that's slower burning. You're mostly going to be here for the romcom fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like it OP.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I remember liking what I read of yankee&megane so I’ll give this a shot. Thanks for posting!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

Select your fighter

This one is easy to solve by process of elimination:
- The little sister character will never win
- The character voiced by Touyama Nao will never win

So congrats, Erika

Tamba fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 10, 2022

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Shakespearean logic says that someone's gonna get switched again by the end of this

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What I don't understand about the swap at birth is how neither family went "wait didn't we have a son/daughter"? Is this ever explained?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What I don't understand about the swap at birth is how neither family went "wait didn't we have a son/daughter"? Is this ever explained?

Everyone in this manga is idiots

real answer: hotel dad has said some things implying it may not have been an accident

realer answer: everyone in this manga is idiots

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

At least for the Uminos, the mom immediately passed out and the dad wasn't in the room at the time. Also yeah, hotel dad is shady as gently caress. Real answer: just run with it.

Also Erika should win because she needs someone to take care of her. Sachi and Hiro are capable of being independent.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 10, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

There's been at least two cases where a doctor amputated the wrong limb so I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

EDIT: I'm provisionally on Team Erika because I've only seen the first episode. Also this whole "little sister with a crush on their brother" trend needs to stop. Please, please, please stop it. Siblings do not work that way.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 10, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but if they did the realistic thing of 'erika looks just like my sister, no loving way I could marry her' there wouldn't be a story

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Parrish posted:

but if they did the realistic thing of 'erika looks just like my sister, no loving way I could marry her' there wouldn't be a story

I mean yeah but I'm talking about the little sister anime archetype as a whole.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean yeah but I'm talking about the little sister anime archetype as a whole.

i get you, i just think this is the one story ever where it (... Sort of, if you squint) makes sense in context instead of being a jack off thing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Frankly I'm just glad the creator of Yankee-kun and Megane-chan is still going strong.

I've been reading the manga but I haven't caught an episode of the show yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Started watching 'cause of this thread and it's fun so far. The second half of episode 2 was touching but I still have to say that I was a bit disappointed when a bunch of it turned out to just be in Nagi's imagination, his parents are hilarious. When he decked that guy in the first episode I knew things were gonna be all right.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Segawa is so awesome. I love her intensity.

I just found out it's going to be a 24 episode season which should give plenty of time for things to develop.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

I assure you this is a romantic comedy

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/Lw4tY0B.gifv

Everyone in this show is so god drat stupid. It's the best.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I assure you this is a romantic comedy

Checks out.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 29, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason I could never get into Yamada or Yankee-kun/Megane-Chan. I'm not even sure why; there was just something weirdly "smooth" about their presentations. Like the drama never becomes significant enough to be interesting, but the comedy alone couldn't carry things.

I'll still try this though, since both those series were still very well done.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Lw4tY0B.gifv

Everyone in this show is so god drat stupid. It's the best.

Glad to see this frequently used look showing up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/hpMJzsg.gifv
Time for the bulldozer, biiiiiitch

I started reading Yankee and Megane because of this thread and the mangaka has a knack for dumbasses that make me laugh. That's her first work, yeah? I'm looking forward to seeing how her art evolves into what it is now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The first hundred or so chapters of Yankee & Megane are insanely good, it starts to lose its way a bit around the time he starts studying for college i think, but it's still well worth a read.

Never got really far into the second one, Yamada & the seven witches, it felt like trying to copy Y&M except with harem and not as fun.

Haven't seen much of this one yet, but it seems promising.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Hiro stocks on the rise

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Team Erika ride or die.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Segawa just keeps on proving that she's the coolest one on the cast.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
To what chapter has the anime adapted the manga to thus far? I stopped reading at about chapter 40ish last year, so trying to judge if I should resume reading or just start on the series now.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Jomo posted:

To what chapter has the anime adapted the manga to thus far? I stopped reading at about chapter 40ish last year, so trying to judge if I should resume reading or just start on the series now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The animation looked rough this week. I'm hoping it's just because the budget's going into the next episodes because they're gonna be good after the way this episode ended.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What the gently caress is going on with the animation? Last week was fine so I was hoping it was just a one off, but it's all weird again this week. It's a bunch of little things like poses and proportions that are just slightly off, and when it's all put together it looks rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the animation? Last week was fine so I was hoping it was just a one off, but it's all weird again this week. It's a bunch of little things like poses and proportions that are just slightly off, and when it's all put together it looks rough.

A low budget adaptation that somehow got 2 cours. Not really surprising, a lot of shows are animated messes nowadays.