Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My sister is a professional photographer and I would like to get her a monitor for her birthday, and I'm looking for recommendations. Her primary computer is an M1 MacBook Pro, and she also has an ancient iMac that she never uses anymore because it's so slow. My plan was to get a docking station and a nice monitor, which would essentially replace the iMac at her desk. I'm looking for something in the 30-32" range. She told me she shoots in sRGB color space. Other than that I'm not really sure what to look for. The Apple Pro Display XDR looks pretty sweet but at a face melting price. To my surprise though, there seems to be plenty of other monitors in the $4000-$6000 range. Is spending that much on a monitor worth it, or is there a smarter buy somewhere out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I started putting together a google sheet with some research: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1npU1FsUc7NnPAq-6XMeFNs2RI4YGtOkos_O911WiBM8/edit?usp=sharing

At the higher end it seems like it comes down to:
  • LG 32EP950 ($3700)
  • Asus PA32UCG-K ($4900)
  • Apple Pro Display XDR ($5000-$7000)
  • Dell UP3221Q ($2900)

Middle of the pack looking like:
  • Asus PA32UCR-K ($1500)
  • Asus PA329C ($1100)
  • Apple Studio Display ($1600-$2300)
  • BenQ SW321C ($2000)
  • Dell U3223QE ($920)
  • LG 32UQ85R ($???) Not out yet

I think the main question I'm looking to answer now is: Is the price jump from the middle tier to the top tier really worth it? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect she would get 10+ years of use out of this monitor. So if there's a really compelling reason to shell out the dough for a top tier one, maybe it would be worth considering. It seems like the middle of the pack has some displays that are quite capable though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My buddy recommended the Eizo ColorEdge CG319X as a top tier choice for the industry, though he mainly uses it for the print-output workflow. My sister does web, print, and video. Ideally I'd want to get her something that is fairly capable for all those needs.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If you can swing it, Eizo monitors are pro-tier. That said ...

- I don't know how big (in performance) the gap to the next tier is.
- Pros can be very specific about gear. It would be wise to double check with your sister before you buy her stuff.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
It's probably no real comparison, but I have 2 of the lower end Asus ProArt 27" QHD monitors (~$350 each) and they are great. Good design and build quality. I can only imagine the ones in the series that are 3x and 12x the price are even better. I'm just an amateur photographer though and have no experience with those pricey high end monitors.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

theHUNGERian posted:

If you can swing it, Eizo monitors are pro-tier. That said ...

- I don't know how big (in performance) the gap to the next tier is.
- Pros can be very specific about gear. It would be wise to double check with your sister before you buy her stuff.

Yup good call, I'll definitely be double checking with my sister before making the purchase.

She can certainly be very specific about her gear. I think something like a monitor of this caliber has not been on her radar before though. Her significant other is also a professional photographer who does a lot of both print & web work. I think having a docking station & monitor like this at their place would be put to very good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
About 4 or 5 years ago I went to a Moab paper printing workshop at my local camera store and the instructor recommended the BenQ SW2700 as a basic easy-to-calibrate-good-color-space-options monitor. I've been really happy with it for home printing. I've never used anything newer or in the higher tier you mention though so I don't know what you're missing with this one. Also I don't do super color precise magazine work or video editing and I don't have a jumbo resolution camera.