Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
this OP will be as good as the US's roster

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_IIHF_World_Championship_rosters

It's in Finland this year. Russia is banned from the tournament. Canada is the defending champ and has the best on paper roster again (Barzal/Kent J sounds pretty fun on Olympic ice).

Mainly posting this to to talk about Luke Hughes playing big minutes for the US and Slavkovsky dangling frenchmen.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
US up 4-0 atm. Seth Jones is a man among Latvians.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Juraj Slafkovsky: 2A, 3SOG, +1, 20:56 TOI (Led SVK)

Luke Hughes played 16 minutes for the US.

Kent Johnson has a goal for Canada (playing on a line with Mercer, that sounds like a fun line).

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
T-Bone your boner for Slafkovsky is only going to make it hurt even more when Jersey drafts the 5’10 centre

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

T-Bone your boner for Slafkovsky is only going to make it hurt even more when Jersey drafts the 5’10 centre

honestly he seems pretty good so I'd be fine with it -- even those two D look like potential top pair dudes. I think the top 4 is pretty good even if there isn't a franchise guy there.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/chrismpeters/status/1525205351930413057?s=20&t=qodbAroSPmcaHU3nvYRhVQ
seems pretty good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
barely beating Austria and down 4-0 to Finland, not ideal

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Stutzle re-injuring his knee in a meaningless international game against France seems not great.

Funny enough, looks like it's the same knee that caused him to miss a few games after that game against Montreal (where Gallagher called him a faker in relation to the same injury).

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
is there a site/page that shows which NHLers are on the rosters? all I see from the Rangers is a press release from the Wolfpack saying that Huska will be there, but would kind of like to know which prospects/etc. are there

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

is there a site/page that shows which NHLers are on the rosters? all I see from the Rangers is a press release from the Wolfpack saying that Huska will be there, but would kind of like to know which prospects/etc. are there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_IIHF_World_Championship_rosters has all the associated teams

also: https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1525864818049028096

lol at the kuznetsov cele

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/HockeyNewsHub/status/1527726007175741447

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Excellent fan reaction gif from yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/0oDdPmZ.mp4

Zat fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 21, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Canada lost to the Swiss and the US beat Sweden, both unexpected for sure.

Slafkovsky had two more points :o:

He's got 7 in 6 games at the moment against extremely questionable competition but hey

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
in 1949, Canada beat Denmark 47-0 in Denmarks first ever international game.

Revenge is a dish best served on ice, 73 years later.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Highlight of the game, for me, was Shane Doan interviewed between periods going “People don’t like the loss (against Switzerland), I don’t care” in full thickheaded Hockey Canada arrogance. Also mentioning his belief that every time Canada enters these tournaments they should win them.

This is definitely the worst goaltending I’ve seen from Canada at worlds in a long time but that shouldn’t undersell how completely horrid the rest of the roster is playing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Just what the hell is going on in that Group A. Switzerland clinched 1 seed, Germany 2 seed, while seeds 3 and 4 are still up for grabs between Denmark, Canada and Slovakia.

Finland and Czechia just might try to lose to each other tonight in order to get that "safe" matchup with Germany instead of facing one of those 3 including Canada.

edit:
Lol, here are the scenarios for FIN-CZE:

If Finland wins in regulation, it plays Slovakia in the quarterfinals. If Finland loses in regulation, it plays Germany. Any overtime: Finland plays Canada.

If Czechia wins in regulation, it plays Canada in the quarters. If Czechia loses or there's any overtime, Czechia plays Germany.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 24, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat Nemec looks loving good too, this draft is gonna be agonizing

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quarterfinals:

Switzerland vs USA
Finland vs Slovakia
Germany vs Czechia
Sweden vs Canada

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Koopa Kid posted:

This is definitely the worst goaltending I’ve seen from Canada at worlds in a long time but that shouldn’t undersell how completely horrid the rest of the roster is playing.

Well, now they were 3rd in the group, last year they were 4th only winning against the minnows and still won the championship in the end..

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zat posted:

Quarterfinals:

Switzerland vs USA
Finland vs Slovakia
Germany vs Czechia
Sweden vs Canada

And the semifinalists will be reseeded so that the top semifinalist faces the lowest semifinalist on this seeding list:

1 SUI
2 FIN
3 SWE
4 GER
5 CAN
6 CZE
7 USA
8 SVK

I'm thinking the semis will be SUI vs CZE, and FIN vs CAN/SWE.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

A beautiful meltdown

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
US off to a fast start. Gaudette with a really nice Blake Colemanesque goal.

They look pretty organized compared to past US WC teams, could be out of necessity given the roster quality. Luke Hughes with an assist :o:

e: drat Finland down 2-1 to the Slovaks too, if these results hold feels like an easy Canada repeat

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Semifinals:

Finland vs USA
Canada vs Czechia

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

That Sweden meltdown was really something to watch, CAN's third goal was just a hope of a backhander from distance. Tough luck for Willy to get stick on puck but have his skates touch with the forward, I feel like in the NHL it's 50/50 that's a call but in IIHF hockey they'll get you every time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Swayman with the .969 and 2 shutouts in this tournament so far. Finland will probably win but if the US gets another lead early they're a pretty good counterattacking team with a confident goalie.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 26, 2022

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Nope

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Today I learned this is the twelfth semi-final loss in a row for the US.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

And so the final is Finland vs Canada, third time in a row.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
Lol Canada

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
GRANLUND :finland:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

3 on 3 is trash!

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I still think it's trash!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
GG :finland:

legit happy for them and my boy U-Haul Lammikko

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009
Hooray for old man Filppula, the first Finn in the Triple Gold Club!

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

goldrush posted:

legit happy for them and my boy U-Haul Lammikko

hell yeah! i wonder how much leverage he can use his gold medal when negotiating his new contract

also very surprised the iihf uses 3v3 overtime for the finals

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

AHAQQ posted:

Hooray for old man Filppula, the first Finn in the Triple Gold Club!

what a time to be alive, what a run for Finland internationally lately

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Angry Asian posted:

also very surprised the iihf uses 3v3 overtime for the finals

Part of the overhaul that brough upon unlimited overtimes in the final. It used to be 4 on 4, but it was only one 20-minute OT followed by a shootout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Here's the OT winner

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1531005451378126848