Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Problem description: I hope I'm in the right place for this, not really sure though. I have two older games (Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 2) that for whatever reason I'm interested in playing again, but there seems to be issues with running them on Windows 10. I haven't actually tried to install CoD2 yet, but from what I've read, there is some DRM problem that doesn't allow the game to launch. HL2 starts to launch, however when it goes it causes my monitor to go blank and say source is unavailable, after which I have to hard restart the computer because the screen is just blank and doesn't come back.

Attempted fixes: I've looked these things up, and for CoD2 there's supposed to be a No CD crack that all the places I've looked mention, but it seems to have disappeared from the website those places link to. I know there is a Steam version of CoD2 and its expansions, but I have them on-hand as physical media and don't feel like spending the money for something I already own, plus I'm not sure the Steam versions aren't free of the DRM issues anyway. As for HL2, I can't really seem to find the exact issue I'm having. From what I've seen looking it up, HL2 should be supported on Windows 10, but it's just not working for me.

Recent changes: No recent changes have been made.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit.

System specs: CybertronPC, AMD A4-6300 APU 3.7GHz with onboard graphics (I wonder if this may be the HL2 problem?), 8gb RAM. Not great by any means, but should be able to play these games otherwise.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated and that you're on the latest graphics drivers.

One thing that helps with a lot of older games is to use windowed mode. See if you can get HL2 to run like this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/220/discussions/0/133257636776290559/

Even if you don't want to use that as the permanent option it'd narrow things down a little more.