Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
It's so nice to see stuff painted as Iron Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hmm.

From the Goonhammer review of Battle for Beta-Garmon: “The Company Command Squad possibly highlights just what an amazing deal the Legion Command Squad is and it does look weak in comparison but in its own terms it’s a solid option. I thought it could provide some fun options for modelling up a unit to represent the retinue of a particular Consul too. Maybe they are trainee Chaplains or something like that, for example. Unfortunately, as our knowledgeable commenters have pointed out, Consuls don’t count as Centurions any more so they can’t have command squads.

From the WarCom Command Squad preview article: “All three of these sets are plastic and will be available to pre-order later in the year, giving you plenty of opportunities to pair your finest Praetors with their very own Legion Command Squad. The new rules in The Battle for Beta-Garmon even allow you to pair up Centurions and Consuls with a Company Command Squad using the same set – let no leader walk alone!

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time WarCom got rules wrong.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oops, All Swords is not exactly what I hoped for but it looks like there's good parts in here. Baffling decision to just pair it with the same five default poses though. They look okay, just you'd think you'd get fancier armor for them.

Since the plastic melee weapon kit showed up on the roadmap at the same time and for release alongside the plastic command squad, and they seem to have finally revealed all the resin characters who show up in Beta-Garmon, I assume they’ll be showing off those plastic weapons next Thursday. So this is probably Oops, All Swords because they want us to get other melee weapons with the accompanying weapons kit.

As for pairing it with the existing five poses, it’s because they want it to be backwards compatible with both existing armor sets and forwards compatible with any more armor sets they put out. If you look at the way GW is handling body kits for Heresy, they’re being very efficient with the number of moulds they produce; wherever possible, they reuse existing body or vehicle components. Those five poses are probably all we’re going to have for a while.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Stephenls posted:

Since the plastic melee weapon kit showed up on the roadmap at the same time and for release alongside the plastic command squad, and they seem to have finally revealed all the resin characters who show up in Beta-Garmon, I assume they’ll be showing off those plastic weapons next Thursday. So this is probably Oops, All Swords because they want us to get other melee weapons with the accompanying weapons kit.

As for pairing it with the existing five poses, it’s because they want it to be backwards compatible with both existing armor sets and forwards compatible with any more armor sets they put out. If you look at the way GW is handling body kits for Heresy, they’re being very efficient with the number of moulds they produce; wherever possible, they reuse existing body or vehicle components. Those five poses are probably all we’re going to have for a while.

Yeah, I get why they're doing it this way, the upgrade kits keep mold count down and all. Just was hoping for a kit that could be used for centurions/consuls as a base to make them stand out, instead of "use the existing kits repeated even more as a base for this".

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, I get why they're doing it this way, the upgrade kits keep mold count down and all. Just was hoping for a kit that could be used for centurions/consuls as a base to make them stand out, instead of "use the existing kits repeated even more as a base for this".

Fingers crossed once they go through default versions for each armor mark they go back and do artificer versions of each as well.

EDIT: This seems like a better case for a resin kit, though. Feels like artificer versions for each armor mark would benefit from undercut detail. Case in point, take a look at how shallow those rectangular spikes on the plastic artificer pauldrons have to be to work in plastic.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 28, 2024

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Seeing as the majority of the Consuls are already being done in resin, I imagine that will continue. They've pretty much said anything that's "special" in any way is going to be resin only.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stephenls posted:

I think we're still missing Horus Aximand in terms of resin characters but yes, hopefully it'll be shown off in the next few weeks. Although the Mechanicum Knights teaser from AdeptiCon means there might be some new stuff from that range as well which will probably be counted as Heresy Thursday.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Looking forward to plastic mechanicum as pure conversion fodder for my 40k iron Warriors

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Stephenls posted:

Unfortunately, as our knowledgeable commenters have pointed out, Consuls don’t count as Centurions any more so they can’t have command squads.

Was this in an FAQ or something? As far as I can tell, and according to p104, Consuls only gain special rules and gear. So they'd still have the Centurion's Retinue rule in addition to new rules specific to the Consul.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Centurions don't have Retinue since they don't have Master of the Legion, of which Retinue is a sub-rule.

Centurions that are upgraded to Delegatus get MotL, so they can take a command squad, and I think there might be like one or two other Consuls that get MotL, but they aren't coming to mind at the moment. In general, Centurions and Consuls don't have access to command squads.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh! Ok I see that now, thanks.

And then the retinue rule on p124 prevents taking an "orphan" command squad Even if someone wants to pay the extra HQ slot.

Huh.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Isn't that quote in reference to the Company Command Squad in Beta-Garmon, which does in fact attach to a normal centurion?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

All three of these sets are plastic and will be available to pre-order later in the year, giving you plenty of opportunities to pair your finest Praetors with their very own Legion Command Squad. The new rules in The Battle for Beta-Garmon even allow you to pair up Centurions and Consuls with a Company Command Squad using the same set – let no leader walk alone!

:doh:

Yep that's exactly what it says.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Company Command Squads attach to Centurions and Optae only. The article mentioned Consuls this morning, but that phrase is gone now, which is classic HamCom rules for ya.

I am all for having options, but a Ld9 standard doesn't feel like enough to take it over a Veteran Squad that can take all kinds of goodies and don't mind pallin' around with Consul weirdos.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Company Command Squads attach to Centurions and Optae only. The article mentioned Consuls this morning, but that phrase is gone now, which is classic HamCom rules for ya.

I am all for having options, but a Ld9 standard doesn't feel like enough to take it over a Veteran Squad that can take all kinds of goodies and don't mind pallin' around with Consul weirdos.

The real advantage of being able to take company command squads with consuls would be deployment point shenanigans in Zone Mortalis, surely.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Outside of Consuls, I thought the appeal of a Centurion is going cheap. And if I'm going cheap, I'm not paying extra points for a retinue squad.

I've got a bunch of 40k guard Russ
Tanks and it's time to back-convert them into Solar Aux. I know that means

1) removing the sponsons.
2) adding some old timey accessories.
3) SAux crew where visible

Anything else obvious I'm missing? The new gun barrels might work with the old kit but I'm not optimistic.

e: Holy poo poo these sponsons ARE NOT coming off. UUUuguh

moths fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 30, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I like the Company Command Squad purely from a fluff perspective. I like the idea of having a Centurion and their picked dudes as a unit.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
Unsure if fits here, but I just recently put together a Vehicle Design Ruleset for Horus Heresy Imperialis Militia! I really liked 3E's VDR and felt that the IM had too few vehicles to represent the breadth and width of the amount of equipment that might be used in a non standardized army, particularly vehicles.

If anyones interested I would love critique through the email inside the doc, currently I think the main issues are formatting, wording, and points costs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YA9LxvPrKLFUHkJPQPYsA_TIJ65CvRf9mZzIPGG8ZP8/edit?usp=sharing
LMk if off topic for thread

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LurchinTard posted:

Unsure if fits here, but I just recently put together a Vehicle Design Ruleset for Horus Heresy Imperialis Militia! I really liked 3E's VDR and felt that the IM had too few vehicles to represent the breadth and width of the amount of equipment that might be used in a non standardized army, particularly vehicles.

If anyones interested I would love critique through the email inside the doc, currently I think the main issues are formatting, wording, and points costs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YA9LxvPrKLFUHkJPQPYsA_TIJ65CvRf9mZzIPGG8ZP8/edit?usp=sharing
LMk if off topic for thread

I only had a skim but this is 100% the kind of poo poo i wish games did more. This would be really fun for a friendly campaign imo. I know why they don't do it from a logistics POV but exploring the more esoteric aspects of having a galaxy-spanning empire is sorely lacking in the game right now. The siege vehicle descriptions during the siege of Vervunhive in Gaunt's Ghosts is the kinda stuff I imagine for heresy.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022

ijyt posted:

I know why they don't do it from a logistics POV but exploring the more esoteric aspects of having a galaxy-spanning empire is sorely lacking in the game right now. The siege vehicle descriptions during the siege of Vervunhive in Gaunt's Ghosts is the kinda stuff I imagine for heresy.

absolutely! Especially for militia, these are a bunch of guys that range from maybe profesionally trained planetary defense forces to a bunch of guys who've grabbed shotguns when the warmaster came down and strapped guns to their tractors. Sure, some planets might have the leman russ, but a lot of guys are gonna have barely maintained tanks from the last war 30 years ago, or like i put in the example section, a truck with a missile pod strapped to it.
I'm glad you liked it, and I hope I do make some IRL horus heresy friends that would be interested in using the rules for a friendly campaign.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Paging through Beta-Garmon physical copy and I just realized why the Raven Guard Deliverers special Cataphractii variant randomly have a red and black color scheme -- those are Ashen Claw colors.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 6, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ashen Caw, surely.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh, hey, this isn't surprising at all, but check out the Veletaris Storm Section sprues

Sprue 1: All bodies

Sprue 2: All weapons and weapon arms

Very obviously engineered so later they can release another kit with the same bodies and different weapon arms. They're totally doing another kit later with the heavy flamers and rotor cannons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

They really ended Heresy Thursdays without an Iron Warriors character.

James you bastard.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Weren't we supposed to get melee weapon upgrades in the spring? I hope we still get an announcement for it with heresy Thursdays on hold.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
As a SoH and BA player, I got melee weapons. Maybe play a better legion?

:smug:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh cool, no more Thursday updates and that Mars teaser's still a big mystery box.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Heresy Thursday will grace us once more. This is but a short reprieve.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It does line up with my :tinfoil: theory that they're doing a plastic warhound.

You wouldn't put that in a regular article, you'd drop it somewhere showcase-y.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

we got the 2023-24 roadmap at WH Fest 2023, but there is no 2024 Fest. Any word on what’s replacing it in the preview lineup, if anything?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They could just do some kind of rando preview event like bringing back the Weekenders. (please bring back the Weekenders.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Without a physical Warhammer Fest this year I'm expecting them to do an online preview in its stead. Something to show off the new AoS start set, some stormcast and skaven models, and a few other things besides. I guess that would be in May if it happens.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

moths posted:

It does line up with my :tinfoil: theory that they're doing a plastic warhound.

You wouldn't put that in a regular article, you'd drop it somewhere showcase-y.

i'd buy it too, even with my resin chaos warhound languishing in the closet

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ijyt posted:

i'd buy it too, even with my resin chaos warhound languishing in the closet

paint the god drat warhound ijyt!!!!

especially the hosed up interior

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
You can fit a lot of heresy in this post:

Cataphractii Terminator squad:

Shot of the full squad:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Excellent stuff, as always!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That unit turned out great. I've always loved the cataphractii lightning claws so I'm happy to see them getting some play. I like how you've got a glow at the base of them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I always love seeing a group of terminators with a mix of weapons, rather than all with the same load out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did someone make fan rules for all these Saturnine fan models?

All I have found is other people asking if they have rules, only to get ":actually: they're not Saturnine because nobody knows what Saturnine looks like"