Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

the passport delay time here is like, 10-20 days, but for an extra couple hundo you can get one approved next business day

the fact that canada has a "pay to jump to the head of the queue" thing that you can just do online but the US doesn't is hilarious
Underfunded bureaucracy is part of the american strategy to make people hate the government and love big corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i just checked and the average wait time for a new passport is 6-8 weeks. If your passport is taking the better part of a year then something has gone seriously fuckin pear-shaped or you are on a watch list or possibly both

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my first ever probe, i'm a real boy now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

i just checked and the average wait time for a new passport is 6-8 weeks. If your passport is taking the better part of a year then something has gone seriously fuckin pear-shaped or you are on a watch list or possibly both

this article is from about 2 months after I finally got mine back

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

this article is from about 2 months after I finally got mine back

expedited ($150 iirc) in 2-3 weeks now

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

u can get a same day passport in some cases too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

u can get a same day passport in some cases too

i think you gotta demonstrate an emergency like "i have tickets in hand for tomorrow and someone just stole my passport" but yeah i've heard people can get them real quick if the situation is right

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the secret is to be white and have a thick American accent. also being fat as hell don't hurt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its always weird when i remember some people dont have passports

like what if you need to leave the country all of a sudden for whatever reason??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if it's serious enough they're catching you anyways

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

like what if you need to leave the country all of a sudden for whatever reason??

never forget that immanual kant wrote an entire all-encompassing philosophy of the nature of mind and matter and the universe and never stepped foot more than 50 miles from where he was born

there are peeps in the bay area and la who commute longer

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

bob dobbs is dead posted:

never forget that immanual kant wrote an entire all-encompassing philosophy of the nature of mind and matter and the universe and never stepped foot more than 50 miles from where he was born

and he was a sickly nerd, too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ive read that poo poo and he absolutely should have gotten out more often

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

if it's serious enough they're catching you anyways

yeah well maybe its not serious enough

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have cousins who haven't stepped foot more than 50 miles from where they were born, and it would definitely do them well to expand their horizons

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

start slow, maybe aim for 60 miles

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

rotor posted:

i would simply not need to leave the country for whatever reason

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Immanuel kant but sarte can

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Immanuel kant but sarte can
I kant believe it's not sartre

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

it depends on your proximity to a border imo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

somebody in Peoria doesn't really need a passport

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you did get no-passport fuckos in san diego, even, tho

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

it depends on your proximity to a border imo

yeah, I grew up on the Canada-US border so I've had a passport since I was like four lol

you did get no-passport fuckos in san diego, even, tho

probably a racism component to that one tbh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

somebody in Peoria doesn't really need a passport

idk it just seems like a foolish thing to not have in case of emergency. it takes like no effort, its good for 10? 15? years? Just get one.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

it takes like no effort, its good for 10? 15? years? Just get one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The continental USA is as large as Western Europe, and you don’t need a passport to go to Mexico (by car) or Canada (with a real ID), which means a LOT of people in the States don’t even think about getting a passport. Also, a lot of hicks are scared of traveling to Europe and think it’s a lawless place filled with communism and mass stabbings around every corner.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

idk it just seems like a foolish thing to not have in case of emergency. it takes like no effort, its good for 10? 15? years? Just get one.

what if you have no plans to ever go further than Kenosha

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FlapYoJacks posted:

it’s a lawless place filled with communism and mass stabbings around every corner.

i mean

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FlapYoJacks posted:

The continental USA is as large as Western Europe, and you don’t need a passport to go to Mexico (by car) or Canada (with a real ID), which means a LOT of people in the States don’t even think about getting a passport. Also, a lot of hicks are scared of traveling to Europe and think it’s a lawless place filled with communism and mass stabbings around every corner.

look i grew up in this midwest, i understand this, i know this is what a lot of people in the States dont even think about. But what i'm telling you is that its dumb and you should get a passport.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it is so much quicker and easier to go to both Canada and Mexico with a passport over a realID ime.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

what if you have no plans to ever go further than Kenosha

Kenosha ... Chile?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FlapYoJacks posted:

dont forget sharia law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

FlapYoJacks posted:

Also, a lot of hicks are scared of traveling to Europe and think it’s a lawless place filled with communism and mass stabbings around every corner.
And also a lot of people will never be able to sock away enough to afford it.