Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying

like black Sabbath is the ur-example. It's good, but every criticism of it is still accurate. But it's good! But...

Like all the vocal lines are stupid and the lyrics were written by idiots. BUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

some folks were recently discussion the 2004 zack snyder remake of dawn of the dead and I think it qualifies. there are a bunch of things I like about this movie--the opening sequence is as to the point as any zombie movie has ever gotten, I like sarah polley and ving rhames in things even if they're not at their best here, the soundtrack has a few great tunes (dick cheese's cover of "down with the sickeness" anyone?), and there are various other little gems and so-bad-it's-good moments like the awful awful birth scene. but it's not a good movie, by any stretch, even if it's probably one of zack snyder's better outings. yet I find it very watchable even if I tend to skip over a few parts.

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

golden sun 1 and 2 for the gameboy advance! the plot is dumb and way too long, and the puzzles require way too much menu fiddling because you can only assign two powers to quickbuttons at a time, and even though there's this whole big interesting class system you can completely ignore it and just keep everyone in the default roles

i like it, though! it's fun for me, but every complaint i've heard about it is 100% true

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Twenty Four

Trying posted:

like black Sabbath is the ur-example. It's good, but every criticism of it is still accurate. But it's good! But...

Like all the vocal lines are stupid and the lyrics were written by idiots. BUT

I guess if your measuring stick of a huge ton of good songs put out by one of, if not the founders of metal, is "just the lyrics" and consider every criticism reliant on that, then, sure I guess they were somewhat interesting and at least arguably dark for the time, but sometimes a bit goofy lyric wise especially in hindsight, but not in the worse way possible. I don't put as much value into lyrics compared to everything else, as a musician. There's certainly much better lyrics out there, so fair.

Everyone knows Ozzy. He's a legend, for better, or sometimes (many times) worse. I enjoy much of what he did or inspired or got carried through. He's a mess that has been nothing but a spectacle for decades, but I have enjoyed him, particularly in the past, so that's a fair "good yet bad" especially considering time frames.

Tony Iommi is much less famous in comparison but easily the next most known member for being able to shred, even with a prosthetic finger, and wright some great riffs and solos as well. Props to him for being an influence on my guitar playing. Obviously not "kinda good yet bad" by any metric.

Bill Ward is quite a good drummer but still under appreciated. He probably won't blow your mind compared to the best of the best, so I guess if that's the definition of "it's good but..." I can't argue with "but...". Definitely not bad though, and having seen all four of the main original members play live together despite being senior citizens years ago, he still had his chops and then some.

Geezer Butler is a hugely underrated bass player, partially because bass players in general tend to fly under the radar, and also because he was overshadowed by Ozzy and Iommi, his much more famous counterparts. He's got huge respect in the bass playing community, and was a huge influence on me when I was learning both bass and regular guitar, as was Iommi. The biggest "good but bad" think I can think of is he's good but it's bad he doesn't get the recognition he deserves outside of people who know how much of a badass he is.

Twenty Four

Sorry for the rant, no hard feelings on my end! I guess for content... "kinda good yet bad"

"Most all fast food" lol. Sometimes really good and hits the spot so perfectly, exactly what you want, and sometimes really bad, but in reality most of the time "kinda good yet bad (for you)" :)

Heather Papps

hello friend

mashed potatoes without butter or salt

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

biosterous posted:

golden sun 1 and 2 for the gameboy advance! the plot is dumb and way too long, and the puzzles require way too much menu fiddling because you can only assign two powers to quickbuttons at a time, and even though there's this whole big interesting class system you can completely ignore it and just keep everyone in the default roles

i like it, though! it's fun for me, but every complaint i've heard about it is 100% true

yes!!!!! i loved em and i couldn't tell you why.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Strange Magic is a very weird movie with very weird music choices and I wouldn’t call it good (my working theory is that Lucasfilm needed practice with realistic human expressions before they tackled Rogue One and this was the project they used for it) but I also find it oddly charming and enjoyable.

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

Stoner Sloth

my posts :c00lbert:

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

Heather Papps posted:

mashed potatoes without butter or salt

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince