Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Problem description:
My 18 month old system was working totally fine before but I left my office with it on and when I came back, it was on but neither display seemed connected (they were.)
Now the MOBO CPU white light is on and it will turn on but not even get to BIOS.

Attempted fixes:
Tried booting with every hardware config I could think of. Cycled the CMOS battery, even.
If I slot the RAM in to slots 3,4 instead of 2,4 I can get to BIOS but can't get past that.
All components turn on and seem totally fine but no displays seem to react, even tried an old HDMI in the MOBO, without any GPU connected.

Recent changes:
I installed an identical set of RAM about six months ago.

Operating system:
Win10 64

System specs:
MOBO: MSI PRO B550M (I've read that this board is temperamental. Maybe I've been lucky so far)
RAM: Crucial Ballistics 3200 DR4 4X8
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: GeForce 3070

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That CPU doesn't support onboard video so HDMI out of motherboard will never work.

Try using only one stick of RAM if you haven't already. Try another GPU if possible.

What kind of drive(s) are you using?

What is the PSU and how old is it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've tried all 4 sticks individually with no luck.
But it's weird that the 3,4 trick will work with any pair of them.

PSU is Seasonic FOCUS PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum
Less than two years old.

I guess this board has a BIOS USB Flash button. Gotta figure that out, although other folks have said it didn't make a difference.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flashed BIOS to the latest version. Now I can routinely get to BIOS but no further.

Now the VGA debug LED is on.

Not really sure how to proceed.

Edit: Changed OS setting from UEFI to CSM and now I'm back in business!

How weird for something like that to just happen suddenly.

Edit: well it worked for a while and then hard crashed.
Cool.

Edit2: I can get it to the desktop but ONLY with one stick of RAM in the 4 slot. Man, Ryzen is picky as hell.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 22, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Edit2: I can get it to the desktop but ONLY with one stick of RAM in the 4 slot. Man, Ryzen is picky as hell.

You mean only one specific stick of RAM or any single stick?

There's always a chance some RAM stick has an issue.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zogo posted:

You mean only one specific stick of RAM or any single stick?

There's always a chance some RAM stick has an issue.

Two of the sticks work in any slot. I think the other two are fried (even though their RGB works and they show up in BIOS.)
So I can't pin down exactly what the issue is because it doesn't seem consistent.

I have a more reliable MOBO coming tomorrow and will test out some more.

It's annoying but I can skirt by with 8GB of RAM for the time being.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turns out something happened to the MOBO, maybe a weird power spike but I installed a new one and it's working like a dream.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spoke too soon.
I left the room and it shut off and refused to start up again.

Power comes on, all the pretty lights start going but then one of the diagnostic lights will randomly flash.

I've never had a system work perfectly and then suddenly decide everything was bad.

Edit: Kinda at my wits end here.
The system will only work if only one stick of RAM is installed. Doesn't matter which of the four, they all work this way.
Any more than one and it gets stuck in a cycle and I can't even get to BIOS.

This happened with my old MOBO using this RAM but everything I can tell says that it's a board or CPU issue. New board, CPU is in perfect health.
Hell, I even did a Flashback to the latest (non beta) version.
CMOS cycled, DOCP enabled, nothing.

I seriously don't know what the problem could be.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 30, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So you were on the latest motherboard BIOS when this issue came back?

Is the RAM all identical? Sometimes there can be an issue even if the RAM is very similar and should work etc.

Do you have any older peripherals attached? Old keyboard/mice (anything) could potentially cause POSTing issues.

Other possibilities:

It's possible it's some odd CPU issue. Even if it seems to be working okay.

It's possible the PSU is failing despite being newer. And if it's failing it could be slowly damaging hardware.

And it's always possible the new motherboard has an issue.

edit:

Also the GPU and/or case could be an issue too. You may get to the point where you want to take the motherboard out of the case and use a key/paper clip to bridge the power pins on the motherboard to start it. That would eliminate the case as being an issue. Hopefully you can figure out the issue before having to switch out lots of components.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 30, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zogo posted:

So you were on the latest motherboard BIOS when this issue came back?

Is the RAM all identical? Sometimes there can be an issue even if the RAM is very similar and should work etc.

Do you have any older peripherals attached? Old keyboard/mice (anything) could potentially cause POSTing issues.

Yeah, bought an ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus based on high recs. Exact same issue as on the MSI B550.

Drive as in hard drive? I have three SSDs.

BIOS is on the latest version to ensure compatibility with Ryzen CPUs.

The RAM is identical EXCEPT the two sets were purchased about a year apart. Again, they haven't had any issues until this last week. Everything was perfect.

I've tried booting with the minimal items attached, even nothing, and the issue persists. All my peripherals are rather new aside from the 3.5mm speakers.

I have a new set of RAM coming today which should at least eliminate one possibility.

If the CPU is the issue I'm going to be mad because I can't afford to replace it right now. Don't even have an old one to test.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Drive as in hard drive? I have three SSDs.

Yeah. Since they're SSDs they're probably okay but you could run hdsentinel (if you get into the OS again) and see if it finds anything: https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It the RAM, unless something breaks again.
Just put in 16x2 DD4 3200 (same speed as the old set) and it booted up just fine.

I've never heard of multi-sticks working alone but not in pairs after a while.

I sure hope this isn't actually a different issue and has become a ticking time bomb.

LOL and just like that the computer seizes up, crashes and won't start with all the RAM installed.

Gonna have to get a new CPU, I think or hopefully a new PSU since that's cheaper.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 31, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

lmao, I installed the RAM in the wrong channels just as a goof and it works fine now?
May be missing out on dual channel speed but it recognizes all 32 GB.

I am at a complete loss why this would happen.

Been at this for 20+ years and never had this happen before.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you been using the same power strip and power cable this whole time? It might be worth it to do the equivalent of trying a different outlet in case it is bad power before it even hits your machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Inzombiac posted:

lmao, I installed the RAM in the wrong channels just as a goof and it works fine now?
May be missing out on dual channel speed but it recognizes all 32 GB.

I am at a complete loss why this would happen.

Been at this for 20+ years and never had this happen before.

It this works while populating all the slots doesn't, it sounds like your CPU might have a bad memory channel