Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
Problem description: I have a work laptop that I want to be able to link up to my monitors on my home desktop without having to reconnect cables every time. I don't have any experience with KVMs so am not sure how much I need to spend for a decent one or what brands I should be looking into.

Attempted fixes: Looked around on Amazon and Google. I see some cheap-ish ones, but I would rather get something that is solid and reliable and am looking for Goon advice before I expense something that is relatively pricy.

Recent changes: N/A

Operating system: My desktop runs Win 11 Pro and the laptop is on Win 10 Enterprise.

System specs: The laptop is an HP Elitebook 840 G7. When I connect to external monitors at work, it usually goes through one of those HP dock things that has a Thunderbolt connector to supply power and the video signal together. Can provide more info about other ports it has if needed.

My desktop has two 1440p monitors that are connected to the GPU with DisplayPort cables.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yes, if you buy a cheap one it's a gamble as KVMs are notoriously flaky. I've seen so many KVM switches in workplaces that were half-working or needed to be constantly power cycled etc.

I haven't used one lately so I can't make a recommendation besides getting one with tons of good reviews and a warranty.

Someone in one of the hardware megathreads might be able to be more specific though.