Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I love how we just abandoned telephonic communication to the unfettered whims of global scammers to the point that no one in their right mind answers the phone anymore.

We used to have Caller ID.

We used to have Caller ID that actually told you the name of the person or business that was calling you, and not just their location based on the area code.

And then iPhones came out... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I love how we just abandoned telephonic communication to the unfettered whims of global scammers to the point that no one in their right mind answers the phone anymore.

It honestly can't be that difficult to implement some kind of limit to the number of calls that can come from a single phone number. Governments and corporations control 100% of the infrastructure, and the phones, and there's nothing they can do? Seriously?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I. M. Gei posted:

We used to have Caller ID.

We used to have Caller ID that actually told you the name of the person or business that was calling you, and not just their location based on the area code.

And then iPhones came out... :sigh:

the gently caress do iphones have to do with that? *67 been around forever and a day

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What REALLY sucks is that people can spoof phone numbers now. So you can get a phone call that pops up as Discount Tire or some poo poo and it's a scammer.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
My phone number shows as a person that's been dead for 5 years in caller ID. Tried getting it fixed no luck

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ches Neckbeard posted:

My phone number shows as a person that's been dead for 5 years in caller ID. Tried getting it fixed no luck

RIP Ches 'the ghost poster' Neckbeard

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What REALLY sucks is that people can spoof phone numbers now. So you can get a phone call that pops up as Discount Tire or some poo poo and it's a scammer.

why is discount tire randomly calling you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ches Neckbeard posted:

why would you want to change this? it's like winning $5k on a scratcher

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I can call dead people

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

none of these methuselahs grew up with caller id. hell, most of us starting to get old rear end folk didn’t either for the most part. the phone rang and you didn’t know who was calling until you picked up that receiver and grilled them

by the time caller id was more or less universal, round the late 90s/early 2000s, it was already easily and commonly spoofed over isdn. by the mid 2000s any drat fool could do it over the internet

loving mind blowing how people have convinced themselves that any of this stuff was ever trustworthy

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Beastie posted:

Missouri just executed a dude who had 72 corrections officers signed on to say how much they thought the guy improved and was rehabbed.

drat those 72 corrections officers could have signed letters in support of wrongly-convicted or sentenced black men instead. or a wrongly-convicted white guy if that's a problem for you.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/07/us/brian-dorsey-missouri-execution-death-row/index.html

quote:

The murders happened on December 23, 2006, hours after Dorsey called his cousin asking for help, according to a ruling by the Missouri Supreme Court last month, which recounted the history of the case. Two drug dealers were in his apartment, Dorsey said, and he needed money to pay them.

Sarah and Benjamin went to Dorsey’s apartment, and the drug dealers left. They then took Dorsey back to their home, the ruling notes, and Dorsey spent the evening drinking and playing pool with Sarah and Benjamin’s family and friends.

Later that night, the ruling says, Dorsey entered their room with a shotgun and fatally shot them both at close range. Court records say Dorsey raped Sarah’s body, but Dorsey’s attorneys argue this remains an allegation because he was never charged with and never pleaded guilty to rape or sexual assault.

Dorsey locked the bedroom door, then stole several items and Sarah’s car, which he drove around as he tried to sell the stolen items to pay off his debt, the ruling says. Sarah’s and Benjamin’s bodies were discovered the next day by Sarah’s parents, who found the couple’s then-4-year-old daughter alone at the house.

https://casetext.com/case/state-v-dorsey-143

quote:

After killing Sarah and Ben, Dorsey took Sarah's social security card from a wallet and scattered the contents of the wallet next to her body. He stole various items of personal property from the home and poured bleach on Sarah's torso, genitals and thighs. Dorsey left the home in Sarah's vehicle, drove to Jefferson City and met with a woman from whom he had borrowed money to buy drugs. Dorsey tried to pay the woman with items later determined to belong to Sarah and Ben.

On the afternoon of December 24, Sarah's parents went to check on Sarah and Ben because they did not show up for a family gathering. They went inside and found four-year-old Jade sitting on the couch watching television. Jade told her grandparents that she had tried to awaken Sarah all morning but "she won't wake up." Sarah's parents called for Sarah and knocked on the bedroom door. There was no response. The door was locked, so Sarah's father forced the door open. He saw Sarah and Ben on the bed. After Sarah's father confirmed that Sarah and Ben were dead, he left the home with Jade and Sarah's mother and contacted the police.

The ensuing investigation confirmed that Sarah and Ben both died from single gunshot wounds to the head. Police discovered the "pour marks" over Sarah's torso and genitals where Dorsey had poured what appeared to be bleach. Additionally, testing revealed that that sperm cells recovered from Sarah's body contained DNA consistent with Dorsey and men from a common paternal lineage. This eliminated Ben as a source of the sperm. Statistical analysis revealed that the DNA profile would not be expected to occur in more than .23 percent of the Caucasian population.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PokeJoe posted:

why is discount tire randomly calling you

To tell me about the deals

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

C.M. Kruger posted:

drat those 72 corrections officers could have signed letters in support of wrongly-convicted or sentenced black men instead. or a wrongly-convicted white guy if that's a problem for you.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/07/us/brian-dorsey-missouri-execution-death-row/index.html

https://casetext.com/case/state-v-dorsey-143
he did bad things, did we need to kill him? what do we gain from that? was he a threat to society? why are there so many people who don't trust the US government except when it comes to the irreversible action of ending a life?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

I. M. Gei posted:

First off, the old guy should absolutely face consequences for murdering that woman, and I don't want to sound like he shouldn't or like I'm denying that he should.

Having said that,

WOOP WOOP PULL UP

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

butt dickus posted:

he did bad things, did we need to kill him? what do we gain from that? was he a threat to society? why are there so many people who don't trust the US government except when it comes to the irreversible action of ending a life?

Well his death creates a deterrent for other extremely troubled and unstable people who are incapable of assessing risk-reward or consequences.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Well his death creates a deterrent for other extremely troubled and unstable people who are incapable of assessing risk-reward or consequences.
except it doesn't

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Outrail posted:

drat you fell for the dumbest fallacy possible. Are you my parents?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
guys...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm.
ooh yeah i should have read the second part better thanks

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

That's what he meant. His response was tongue in cheek.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:shrek:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Outrail posted:

It honestly can't be that difficult to implement some kind of limit to the number of calls that can come from a single phone number. Governments and corporations control 100% of the infrastructure, and the phones, and there's nothing they can do? Seriously?

There is a solution, it's called STIR/SHAKEN and is designed to mitigate caller ID spoofing over VoIP. It was not a simple system to develop - when everything was run over twisted pair then yes, it was a (somewhat) monolithically controlled infrastructure via Ma Bell (in the United States). However, cell phones don't use that infrastructure, it's largely privately controlled and interoperability is critical. That's why you can make a call from an iPhone using AT&T and readily connect to an Android user on Verizon.

It's a complex system - just like twisted pair was under Ma Bell - but in very different ways. In this case, however, the solution was never going to be vertical integration, it was always going to be software protocols covering routing and authentication. And because there are multiple companies involved, it was always going to require extensive testing to ensure compatibility with internal systems, and mandatory adoption as required by the FCC (apparently it was exceptionally expensive to both develop and adopt).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Some states love death so much it’s causing the guards mental trauma.

:d2a:

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/28/prison-guard-trauma-execution-death-penalty?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

E: the most insane/jarring part is buried at the end:

quote:

Lancaster said the act of sitting in a barber’s chair with his back to a death row inmate bearing a sharp pair of scissors was in itself a sign of how completely Dorsey had reformed himself. “There’s some on death row who would never get near the scissors, let alone cut somebody’s hair. But you learn their behaviors, and I got to trust Brian more and more.”

“You’re working with a prisoner for 10 years, you’ve interacted with them every single day, and you can feel they’ve changed,” Lancaster said. “They’ve really rehabilitated, and that’s the department’s goal – to rehabilitate offenders.”

But in Dorsey’s and in many other cases, an ironic moment is reached when corrections officers, whose main duty it is to rehabilitate prisoners, are told to kill a rehabilitated prisoner.

“All of a sudden they flip the switch, and now it’s like: ‘OK, we’re going ahead and killing them,’” Lancaster said. “There has to be an underlying effect from that, without a doubt.”

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 29, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shooting Blanks posted:

There is a solution, it's called STIR/SHAKEN and is designed to mitigate caller ID spoofing over VoIP. It was not a simple system to develop - when everything was run over twisted pair then yes, it was a (somewhat) monolithically controlled infrastructure via Ma Bell (in the United States). However, cell phones don't use that infrastructure, it's largely privately controlled and interoperability is critical. That's why you can make a call from an iPhone using AT&T and readily connect to an Android user on Verizon.

It's a complex system - just like twisted pair was under Ma Bell - but in very different ways. In this case, however, the solution was never going to be vertical integration, it was always going to be software protocols covering routing and authentication. And because there are multiple companies involved, it was always going to require extensive testing to ensure compatibility with internal systems, and mandatory adoption as required by the FCC (apparently it was exceptionally expensive to both develop and adopt).

Maybe it's not a quick and easy solution for a single person, but a multi billion dollar industry should be able to create a solution relatively quickly and relatively easily.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

butt dickus posted:

i think they're saying that it's regrettable that these people decided to draw the line using a double murderer necrophiliac who left a four year old orphaned in the same house instead of, say, an innocent person

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Active shooting of cops in Charlotte NC: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/cmpd-investigation-underway-east-charlotte/6PTLZP4FLFE4DA5ALFT65QDTA4/?outputType=amp

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

I. M. Gei posted:

Surprised this one hasn't been posted yet since it happened over a week ago and there's been a ton of horrifying news footage from it.

https://apnews.com/article/uber-driver-killed-scam-4998a42b2e59aed3dda95f983b2f9b52

Basically a scammer called an old man while pretending to be a cop and demanded the guy pay $12,000 for a fictitious relative in prison.

poo poo like this is why I think the underlying protocols of phone networks need to be reworked to make these kinds of untraceable interactions impossible. But the phone company doesn't care, they got paid for it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’m sure the response to this will be proportionate and measured.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
If this dude ran, I fear for the safety of his neighbors. Gonna be a lot of kicked down doors and dogs shot tonight.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

officer-down.jpeg

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Charlotte mayor is asking for thoughts and prayers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I thinking and praying for specific outcomes.