Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Elentor posted:

They said "I'd also love to know what you learn majoring in fashion." and I answered partially, since it's more than just that. Sorry that you consider that tiny post "a lot of words", I just typed a shitload more, hth.

"Conspicuous consumption" explains what you basically spent an essay explaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Do you think Fashion still exists in 2022 or are we just repeating things from 30 years ago?

You have to be very specific. Like I said Fashion is more of a study of trends than anything. Fashion is used as synonym with "high fashion industry" which is not applicable to most people in a direct manner. If you're asking if "are we just repeating what happened 30 years ago and we're stuck in a loop when it comes down to the way people dress" then the answer is yes and no. Fashion has always been cyclical but each cycle something changes reflecting the movement of society as a whole.

For example, you can very clearly see every influenced mixed in Samaha Sam's look here.

And a very similar progression in Froskurinn:

This is a similar progression of the punk aesthetic compared to how Jeans went from the symbol of a revolution in the 50's (and notably, a fashion statement in a movie literally called Rebel Without a Cause). The Punk style which in the 90's was still made fun of as something representative of someone unemployable because of standards as to how someone looks no longer holders that stigma so strongly; the suits used by Froskurinn and the business blazer used by Samaha Sam are not, however, the "suit women have to use to go to work in the 90's", they're fashion statements. So due to the reduction of social stigma, the normalization of Rock and associated styles among the younger generations who grew up with them, the reduction of fashion-as-an-employability factor in some fields gave way to a divergent Punk style. Whereas rich people evolved that look into what's called "Punk Chic", there's a different, separate trend that mixes Punk with Business used to signal the alternative look not as part of a rebel motive, but as being part of a tribe or group that no longer associates itself with non-professionalism.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I guess mainly I meant that it seems like everyone is doing very individualized things instead of there being anything you could call trends

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are still trends, I don't think that has changed. I'd say there's about as many trends right now as there used to be 30 years ago, the difference is that you do need to include the Internet on the landscape. Also youth trends can come and go faster than you notice if you don't have kids, that also hasn't changed. You might only notice them 20 years later when there's a revival.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Elentor posted:

This is a similar progression of the punk aesthetic compared to how Jeans went from the symbol of a revolution in the 50's (and notably, a fashion statement in a movie literally called Rebel Without a Cause). The Punk style which in the 90's was still made fun of as something representative of someone unemployable because of standards as to how someone looks no longer holders that stigma so strongly; the suits used by Froskurinn and the business blazer used by Samaha Sam are not, however, the "suit women have to use to go to work in the 90's", they're fashion statements. So due to the reduction of social stigma, the normalization of Rock and associated styles among the younger generations who grew up with them, the reduction of fashion-as-an-employability factor in some fields gave way to a divergent Punk style. Whereas rich people evolved that look into what's called "Punk Chic", there's a different, separate trend that mixes Punk with Business used to signal the alternative look not as part of a rebel motive, but as being part of a tribe or group that no longer associates itself with non-professionalism.

thread is lit :five:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A style as of late was body suits. Its been big enough to make new brands, kim kardashian wealthy, and so everpresent the Fendi x Versace collection Fendace felt compelled to have to include one.

There are absolutely new trends coming in and out, its just the fashion trends often get expressed differently in different cultures too now, so you'll have k-pop suit cuts competing with everything else.

Edit: Also for the discussion of Balenciaga you have to also keep in mind it is part of a portfolio of brands including Gucci, so not only does it need to "do fashion" it needs to cover gaps in Kering groups overall selection.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
In theater, it's called costume.

In reality, you can call it whatever you want to, but it's still costume.

You are currently wearing a costume and don't even realize it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Of course I wear a costume. It hides my shameful body.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Currently my costume is a barrel with two lengths of garden hose for suspenders.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
there's literally no law against wearing bath robes 24/7. I checked

Barudak
May 7, 2007

STABASS posted:

Finally, a single issue voting platform for me

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

STABASS posted:

You are free now.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Thanks Elentor that was a good read! I've never been a fashionable person but I do appreciate the skill and effort in some of the wacky designs of high fashion.

Personally I'm waiting for toe socks to make a comeback. I don't know why I just think they're fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Special shoutouts to my two opposing camps regarding gucci's not water proof umbrella of "why the gently caress is the umbrella not waterproof?" and "why would I own any waterproof umbrella?"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Its cuz u gay haha

Teh gays tend to be pretty big on fashion, I hear.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
So what is wrong with rich peoples' brains that makes them feel "bad" for wearing a $10 plain white shirt instead of an indistinguishable $500 one?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

Special shoutouts to my two opposing camps regarding gucci's not water proof umbrella of "why the gently caress is the umbrella not waterproof?" and "why would I own any waterproof umbrella?"

It takes a special kind of sheltered rich gently caress to not understand what an umbrella is for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ograbme posted:

So what is wrong with rich peoples' brains that makes them feel "bad" for wearing a $10 plain white shirt instead of an indistinguishable $500 one?

You gotta fit in and demonstrate status. If you look on a pure cost ratio custom couture is insanely more efficient and better quality, but if nobody knows who your person is it doesn't matter, and that requires time and effort when you can just buy some LV off the rack.

Yaldabaoth posted:

It takes a special kind of sheltered rich gently caress to not understand what an umbrella is for.

Its not for rain is the trick. When you're wealthy you simply don't have to be outside if you don't want to when it rains, while when its sunny you'll want to protect your pale skin but enjoy the outdoors. It was a fun meltdown in the china market.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ograbme posted:

They don't need to be parroted, but this is is where the words "conspicuous consumption" actually come in.

In essence: some rich people - not all, some really dress like crap and don't give a gently caress, a lot actually - have a fashion style that is indistinguishable from an average person. If they feel the need to make that tribalistic distinction through fashion, then they are left with only one choice: to wear the same white shirt, except more expensive.

There's countless studies on how we understand perceived value. There's a book called Influence: Science and Practice by Robert Cialdini that is a good collection of studies that you can explore deeper somewhere else, but it's a great "all-stars". Some examples include selling local rocks as expensive immediately increasing their sales, because now instead of being garbage they are given attributed value. The same anecdote was made earlier this thread by someone reselling cheap stuff with a different logo.

Depending on the practice, this can be qualified as a scam if the buyer is expecting a higher quality product (sound speakers and headphones for example reuse the same template a lot among brands, and the only variance in price is based on the brand name. Pretty much every expensive set of headphones from a big name popular company is vastly inferior to a set of headphones from dedicated audio companies for a fraction of the price. And then there are the BLONs, which are 25 dollar earbuds sold by Chinese companies using the same blueprints ordered by American companies selling them for 800 dollars. This brand of Hi-Fi was given the name of Chi-Fi; you can effectively buy hi-fi products from China for a tiny fraction of their American counterparts).

However, in this particular case, the buyer wants an expensive product simply for the sake of maintaining their status. This can be anything - from ostentation, to covering anxieties like having an excuse to dressing poorly. If someone asks, they can say "but this is an Armani shirt", and have the last laugh.

Buying fancy looking costumes, either cheap or expensive, is a forward move, buying expensive common looking products is a defensive move.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Ograbme posted:

what's the point of crushing poors under your heel if you don't wear high fashion works that no one else can hope to brush against?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Elentor posted:

Fashion as an abstract concept is the study of the elements that humans (and other animals) use to distinguish themselves; it's fundamentally linked to tribalism and signaling.

So the study of fashion has an important historical value; since fashion is the foremost way to signal something implicitly to avoid having to explain yourself explicitly, you can find the links (and reconstruct the missing links) throughout all the history and even prehistory of humanity. We can reconstruct the peregrination of our ancestors based on the evolution of their outfits in burial sites as far as 800,000 years ago; starting 50,000 years ago we have a pretty solid idea of who moved where based on artifacts and symbolism from art found, but fashion tends to be a stronger indicator across all periods because the amount of civilizations that buried their dead with symbols that represented status or achievements is pretty high.

The Fashion as an industry is highly segregated, with different designers and magazines having very different opinions; the generations also vary wildly. For example, John Oliver has a great video on the cultural issues faced by black people due to having ethnic hair and for many years the industry as a whole focused on non-African hair; this created an issue because both your cheap *and* your premium L'Oreal group products are not good at all for ethnic hair. Millennials who joined the Fashion industry tried to dissociate some of the cultural stigma that was revived with regards to black culture, in particular the revival of Afrofuturism, which had peaked with Disco, is a very important step in moving society away from the preconception and stereotypes that black people are primitive. The other thing was an update of the Black Power movement - which has a very obvious name - and broadening into different hairstyles for black people to express themselves. Because traditional conditioners are not nutritive enough for black hair, it became standard to use alternative oils, like coconut oil, and since social prejudice works retroactively those scents became associated with poverty (that John Oliver video goes on it). So as an example of a recent movement, the Haircare industry loving finally incorporated coconut oil in hair lines for black people. Kérastase recently released the Kérastase Curl Manifesto (a very hilarious name but it does describe the importance of it), and some of its incredibly expensive products, such as the Huile Curl, incorporate coconut oil.

This small microcosmos of the Fashion industry revolves around political and social movements focused on normalization. In this sense, the inherent study of classism allows to exploit it to normalize over the years/decades (or sometimes just months). If a rich person wearing Kérastase products for their curly hair smell like coconut oil, then that particular scent is no longer tied down to as "not caring about your hair", which is downright ludicrous.

Fancy fashion shows, especially those hosted by Vogue, are like the E3 of fashion. They're not really representative of anything except Fashion as seen by that particular group, which does have a lot of influence, but to make a game analogy it does not touch on your average mobile game player, or your average moba player, or anyone not interested in the show they're putting on for AAA consoles. These tend to focus on experimental concepts, either the subversion of standing norms, the revival of previous styles that fell out of vogue, or just going crazy just because.

Balenciaga in particular is a gimmick brand. When you're dealing with these high-end brands it's useful to keep in mind they sort of have gimmicks, if you don't know about them then they might look just as one big blob. When Marc Jacobs left Louis Vuitton he satirized the overuse of LV's self-referential monogram, which other brands copied, with this:

This tongue-in-cheek approach is an intentional contrast with LV's incredibly serious use as just class statement. MJ does stupid stuff like this:

To contrast with the completely insipid brown-filled-with-LV-logo look from LV, which exists for no other purpose than to show you can afford a Louis Vuitton:

So then you get to Balenciaga. In contrast with some of the examples I gave, the "dirty, expensive shoes" do not exist to normalize people who wear dirty shoes: Rather they exist to allow people to have that look while still maintaining as ostentatious air. It's the same reason why there are $10 white shirts that look indistinguishable from fancy brand's $1000 white shirts. They're not a scam, because the people buying them know exactly what they're buying, and they're not sold as 500% more resistant. Rather they're just what we see as a way to funnel money from the rich who wants to dress like poo poo but not feel bad about it.

All of it is highly contextual, but as a general rule of thumb: If you, someone who doesn't understand anything about fashion, finds something ridiculous, it's because it is. No one in the fashion business or adjacent is looking at that bizarre cropped blazer the OP posted and thinking it's great. However, whether that "ridiculous" has context or not, varies - some artists like Billie Eilish are easily identifiable by her use of over-the-top fashion like the Balenciaga examples. In that sense, these elements become part of self-representation, but the more specific they go the less they become representative of a group, and more of an individual. If that fashion is trickled down, however, as a response to people actively finding way to imitate said individuals to signal their culture, then these ridiculous one pieces become part of society as they're not identifying something, usually bought at accessible discount prices 10 to 100 times cheaper than the original terrible ideas that originated them.

ty for this post

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TIP posted:

hmmm I'm gonna have to call them up to see if I can pay extra for heavier poop stains

They're even better IRL!

https://i.imgur.com/1NUzrm1.mp4

Lol. LMAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
if you don't get high fashion, you aren't part of that particular habitus and that's okay