Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Problem description: Using certain websites (youtube, gmail), they almost always either fail to load, or only load partially. My homepage for youtube is constantly a patchwork of thumbnails that did not load, scrolling down just leads to two blank rows and an infinite loading spinner. Gmail takes forever to load, and half the time it's unresponsive afterward. That's all assuming either site doesn't immediately complain that I'm offline.

Attempted fixes: Ran tracerts (paste), changed DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, called Verizon support to see if they could help (nope), router resets. It's just my PC afaict, housemates watch youtube on their TV all the time.

Recent changes: My room is a converted garage, away from the router (in the living room). I was using Verizon's Wifi extender, but recently got a long Ethernet cable to run along walls/trimming and hardwire my pc. Issue was there before and afterward, though, and swapping back to Wifi doesn't make a difference.

--

Operating system: Win10 Home

System specs: Ryzen 3900X cpu, 3090 gpu (I can go dig up the emails for other parts if wanted, but given it's a network issue, can't see much relevance)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

About ready to nuke the whole thing and reformat, but those tracerts don't give me much confidence that that's the solution.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Try a different browser and see if it still happens. If it's the browser try creating a new profile for the browser.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Schweinhund posted:

Try a different browser and see if it still happens. If it's the browser try creating a new profile for the browser.

Weird, loading YT in Edge, it loads the infinite scroll fine, though actually buffering a video (and general gmail usage) still feel like it's unusually slow.

Created a new firefox profile, but youtube is still slow, doesn't load, etc (on the regular main page without signing in)

E: installed Chrome (I have no idea where the consensus on best browser has been for like 5 years), and it seems to be working well, so I'll probably swap over, hopefully dodge the problem.

Nope, on Chrome the scroll works fine, too, but videos are defaulting to the lowest possible quality, and turning it up to normal, they are either not buffering at all, or so slowly as to be unnoticeable, and gmail is still sluggish as hell.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2022

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
(new post because that's a bunch of edits) Also for the record, I've got gigabit FiOS, so (theoretically) I should be fine streaming basically anything.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated and then do an offline virus scan.

Temporarily disable any browser extensions/add-ons if you're using them.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Make sure W10 is fully updated and then do an offline virus scan.

Temporarily disable any browser extensions/add-ons if you're using them.

Updated, no threats found. YT was actually working flawlessly for about 5 minutes after the second reboot, but then went back to normal. Also disabled everything, no difference.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Are you low on hard drive space? That can cause issues.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Schweinhund posted:

Are you low on hard drive space? That can cause issues.

Sitting on 700 GB free space across two SSDs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Use the Ethernet cable and then try safe mode with networking and see if that works better.

If it does then that means a full reformat might fix the issue. Or doing a system restore back to before this was an issue (if possible).

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Is it http and https sites? Is your clock wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Use the Ethernet cable and then try safe mode with networking and see if that works better.

If it does then that means a full reformat might fix the issue. Or doing a system restore back to before this was an issue (if possible).

Networked Safe Mode seemed to be working over about half an hour's sporadic testing this morning, so went ahead with the reformat, but I was getting the same issue as soon as Edge popped up after it finished, so no dice.

scott zoloft posted:

Is it http and https sites? Is your clock wrong?

Clock's set to sync automatically, and it matches my phone.

E: So, on a whim I hooked up the Fios WiFi extender (which I initially bought to deal with the distance) to the router using the long ethernet cable, and swapped back over to wifi on my desktop. Connection's been rock-solid since, no loading or buffering issues as of yet. Weird as hell to me, but thank y'all for the help!

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 31, 2022