Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
:monar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Actually, I took over after the Byzantines, moved the empire to my present location, and I'm still here. I keep it in a briefcase so I can always take it with me whenever I travel.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
An irishman turns to an Italian man and asks "Why is everything you say framed like a question?"
The Italian man turns and responds "You talkin' to me?"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
1922? So much for the eternal city

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
Maybe they'd have lasted longer if they didn't lend that guy their ears and he just kept them. Hard to empire without ears

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
There was a Roman dude called Publius Vedius Pollio who had a giant pool full of moray eels and threw people in them to punish them for trivial matters and then got roasted and owned by Augustus for being a big dumb idiot brute baby

quote:

Still, Vedius Pollio’s wealth and his friendship to the emperor were not the things for which he was remembered. It was his extreme cruelty that made him “infamous.” He was incredibly cruel towards his slaves, of which he owned a great many. He had an evil habit of throwing his unfortunate slaves alive into a great pool of moray eels that he kept for just that purpose. These eels would rip a man to pieces in a matter of minutes. It was a particularly torturous way to die.

It is important to note that by killing his slaves in this way, Vedius Pollio broke no Roman law. Writing of Pollio’s habits, Seneca says: “cum in servum omnia liceant” (“all things are allowed to be done to a slave”) .

However, Pollio’s cruelty was viewed by Roman society as particularly evil, ignoble, and scandalous. As such, Vedius Pollio was the talk of Roman society at the time, and many mentions of his actions exist in surviving letters and writings.

At one point during the evening, a servant accidentally dropped and broke a crystal glass. Enraged, Vedius Pollio ordered him seized at once and immediately thrown into the infamous pool of moray eels. Well aware of how barbarous and painful such a death is, the slave at once ran to the emperor and dropped to his knees. He begged not for his freedom, but only to be killed in a less painful fashion.

Augustus was appalled. He had heard rumors of Pollio’s cruelty but seeing it firsthand was horrifying. At once he ordered that the pool of eels be filled in, and that every single crystal dish in Pollio’s villa be smashed before his eyes.

The slave was not punished for his absurd “transgression.” Instead, Augustus had him freed. Vedius Pollio did not object: he accepted the emperor’s wrath stoically. It is possible that this event happened later in Pollio’s life. Either way, he seemingly respected his friend Augustus, and wholly accepted his punishment and the imperial reprimand. Whether or not he stopped with his cruel behavior is not known, but we do know that afterwards he bequeathed one of his luxury villas in Rome to the emperor himself. Augustus had it demolished immediately. In its place, he raised a colonnade, known as the Porticus of Livia, which he dedicated to his own wife, Livia Drusilla.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol augustus owned

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

STABASS posted:

basically, they were brown, so it doesn't count

tons of Romans were pretty brown

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol augustus owned

Augustus, Claudius, Antoninus, and Marcus all did and legit seemed like the kind of guys who would roll their eyes at the business of state and be really loving cool to smoke a joint with after all their hangers-on decided to gently caress on off and just wanted to wax poetic about what a goddamn pain in the rear end everyone else was being all the god(s) drat time.

Guys like Max Thrax who got to be a later emperor because he ran up to the imperial baggage train and flat out punched a motherfucking general's horse unconscious and was described as being one of the first, and literal, 'god-fathers' of Rome and establishing a crime-syndicate base under him. Plus having the name "Max Thrax"? Not so cool to chill with. (Ok it was Gaius Julius Verus Maximinus "Thrax" ("the Thracian")) but that's hardly LESS intimidating.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 31, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Augustus probably LESS likely to be cool and hang out with because he was a huge loving weeb lord that just got poo poo done.
Claudius was, well, Claudius and if you don't look at him through the rose colored glasses of "I, Claudius" which is really, really hard to do, was still pretty loving upstanding. Took a good solid look around and said "...well holy poo poo someone needs to do this better or this whole 'Julian-Claudian' thing isn't going to mean much." All while doing it rather logically and at the pinnacle of one of the highest peaks of Roman power when even he realized 'if I don't, I'm not sure these morons are gonna. This whole thing is rotten inside out and so is my whole brain-hosed family. Alright."
Anoninus is the one you've never heard of and ruled over Pax Romana for like 120+ years because you got a stable Emperor ALSO at another peak of Roman privilege and, unlike others, lived for goddamn ever. Seriously this guy came into power at an absolute up-swell of the world's super power and then just guided that ship, doing mostly nothing except reforming civic tax laws and NOT loving poo poo UP for like 40 years. Do you have any idea how long 40 years is in a time like that? ...Well it's really loving long. And he presided over almost all of it in peace, barring border skirmishes and Jewish wars, but mostly just flopping the fat belly of the Roman Empire upon the entire rest of the Western World at the time. He did ok. He was a patron of the arts, sciences, and literature on top of it.
To TOP that off, his (adopted) son was Marcus Aurelius. Whom you may be familiar with.
Yes that Marcus Aurelius.

The 'Peace and Enlightenment Emperor', who wrote an entire loving life long journal about how to handle diplomatic sessions with your enemies because they, actually, are just dudes like you, and also how much joy it gave him to tuck his own kids in at night and how sad it will be once the all encompassing doors of death close in upon the chamber of his life and shut him out of that joy.

You should read that some time, you're goons after all, you'd enjoy "The Meditations" by him. It's a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU