Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Angepain posted:

"replying to @N£tflix"

you'd think someone this terminally online would know how twitter works at least

also of course the twitter user posting criticisms of the person's work also happens to be a nonce

subtle, joanne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Communist Thoughts posted:

I was also checking out the AI writing and AI music and... Yeah you could basically make AI content already thst would be at least as good as most online content.

Finally, we can all stop posting.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Please do.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Have a Portrait of Dorian Blair for good measure

Needs more Chaos.

Ed Milliband as Horus Lupercal.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

NotJustANumber99 posted:

this, but posts
https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1536347154352054273

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the issue keeps being that there isn't really a good way to monetize art. People should be able to do it but I don't think that doing it for money really works very well most of the time, as it means most artists get gently caress all, and it also puts the personal development side of art (cool, good, should be available to as many people as possible) directly at odds with the making a living side of it because the more people who can do it the more the price of that labour goes down.

And as tech like this gets better it's gonna shave off the things you need an actual artist for. I don't think you can put that back in the box, nor really do I think you should? Because it is bringing something to people who otherwise wouldn't have access to it.

Another important argument for luxury communism IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the issue keeps being that there isn't really a good way to monetize art. People should be able to do it but I don't think that doing it for money really works very well most of the time, as it means most artists get gently caress all, and it also puts the personal development side of art (cool, good, should be available to as many people as possible) directly at odds with the making a living side of it because the more people who can do it the more the price of that labour goes down.

And as tech like this gets better it's gonna shave off the things you need an actual artist for. I don't think you can put that back in the box, nor really do I think you should? Because it is bringing something to people who otherwise wouldn't have access to it.

Yeah, I would love UBI cuz it would allow me to keep learning to do painting and try some new kinds and such. I mean I would like to make money doing it (maybe pet portraits, I dunno) but I'm wary of making it a job because it might make me hate it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If I build another house I will save money on architects fees by prompting one of these AIs with the local planning records and asking it to draw the plans. Can't go any worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

mystery solved, i guess
Just what the literary world was missing. A Tolkien sized volume of someone rehashing imaginary twitter arguments they had in the shower.

This otoh slaps.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If I build another house I will save money on architects fees by prompting one of these AIs with the local planning records and asking it to draw the plans. Can't go any worse.

code:
Architectural plans for a British detached house

Comes with it's own flag apparently

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

can't wait for an AI to draw up an electrical installation so that I can finally be free of my corpulent body by vaporising it in an arc flash trying to build it to spec

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Cory Doctorow talks about this in one of his books - there's not enough money in the system for everyone who's good at art to make a living off art, so he basically proposes a Patreon-like system before Patreon was a thing (I think) as being better than throwing people in jail for not giving the giant corporation money.

Not sure if he connects the dots all the way to luxury communism though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

This owns, thanks

Also this

that bottom left one :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's the other problem is that patronage is sort of necessarily in the realm of the wealthy, the best artists can command prices that most people can't afford, and still get to dictate what work gets produced.

I feel like we already have the solution for things like that where it's funded through taxation and is considered a societal good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*points at art*

kecske posted:

can't wait for an AI to draw up an electrical installation so that I can finally be free of my corpulent body by vaporising it in an arc flash trying to build it to spec

:hmmyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Chaos with UKMT:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A study into early detection of dementia used Iris Murdoch's novels (among others) as an example. Apparently her writing became progressively more repetative - as in, her vocabulary shrank, not that she recycled plot - before she was diagnosed. She wasn't the only author in the study but she was the one the press focussed on.

Here it is: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2004/dec/iris-murdochs-last-novel-reveals-first-signs-alzheimers-disease

This could genuinely be a movie poster.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

WhatEvil posted:

There are already cases of companies replacing their Lead Artists, looking for better results....

Where they started a project and tried to make the Lead Artist Dall-E 2, and realising they couldn't get what they wanted out of it and having to hire actual people instead.

Obviously you just buy better AI prompts!

https://promptbase.com/

https://twitter.com/kevin2kelly/status/1562562459281420289

Yes an actual startup, I didn't believe it either.

Necrothatcher, get paid while the going is good :o:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

paying people to talk to the AI is how you get high programmers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UC Berkeley is also how you get high programmers

Lady Demelza posted:

This could genuinely be a movie poster.
Cinemas this September:
PentecostEd

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Obviously you just buy better AI prompts!

https://promptbase.com/

https://twitter.com/kevin2kelly/status/1562562459281420289

Yes an actual startup, I didn't believe it either.

Necrothatcher, get paid while the going is good :o:

Starting my own startup, ai prompt trolling

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Can we see what the AI does with "x British politician in the style of anime" :nyoron:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dalle-2 Produced these from the simple 'Chaos with Ed Milliband' prompt

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the prompt artist is also an AI

e: lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, as a budding visual artist I just kinda try not to fret about it too much. I figure at worst there'll end up being a market for 'actually, someone *hand-drew* this' like already kinda exists for traditional art
It's going to lead to a situation where the AI is no longer being inspired by real artists (as it fails to distinguish the AI art flooding the market), and all media consumption - scriptwriting, music, novels - will be produced by AI based on what other AI say is best.

Art and culture stagnate, and an AI eventually produces a book called 'The end of Fukuyama and the last man (or how i learned to stop worrying and love the chairs)."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is another reason to fund art generally because it is all fuel for the AI.

Although I dunno, the idea of an AI evolving the Ideal Art to tittilate the human brain is also kind of funny. Until it evolves The Parrot.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

This can't be real can it?

Stephen King is too big for an editor, but seems a decent bloke these days.

Even GRRM is a bit pervy and not really a writer anymore but he's not an active dickhead.

Twitter should have been strangled at birth. Billions in the bank, you could do anything you want, and she spends her time being a knob on the internet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's going to lead to a situation where the AI is no longer being inspired by real artists (as it fails to distinguish the AI art flooding the market), and all media consumption - scriptwriting, music, novels - will be produced by AI based on what other AI say is best.

Art and culture stagnate, and an AI eventually produces a book called 'The end of Fukuyama and the last man (or how i learned to stop worrying and love the chairs)."
That in itself is art. And it can't be worse than an actual human bookperson making GBS threads out a thousand page Who is John Trolled speech as a book. The Epic of Unrollthread. War & Peens. Romance of the Two Bathrooms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the problem is twitter tbh.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Which is another reason to fund art generally because it is all fuel for the AI.

Although I dunno, the idea of an AI evolving the Ideal Art to tittilate the human brain is also kind of funny. Until it evolves The Parrot.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As I mentioned, I’m in Cuba right now, and my (very lovely) tour guide has told me that he read The
Secret, got really into self-help gurus, wants to be an entrepreneur, and is now talking about passive income.

It really gives me an insight into how after the collapse of the Soviet Union so many Russians immediately lost all their money in pyramid schemes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is strange to imagine capitalism as a predatory animal that we have all adapted defence mechanisms against but I suppose it is accurate, and raises the even more interesting thought of what the human that isn't venomous, burrowing, and covered in spikes looks like.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rowling is really turning out to be one of the more impressive transphobe meltdown flameouts. Like, I think outside of the terminally online sphere a lot of people wouldn't know about Glinner, but JKR is really doing her best to be as publicly shithouse crazy as possible, it's very good stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It is strange to imagine capitalism as a predatory animal that we have all adapted defence mechanisms against but I suppose it is accurate, and raises the even more interesting thought of what the human that isn't venomous, burrowing, and covered in spikes looks like.
It's one of many parasites that tries to bypass our desire for reciprocity and fairness by sticking in a bunch of "well actually" imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Thread Up in the wonderful and ongoing story of this island founded by fishmen fighting Popeye.