Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Con Air celebrates its 25th anniversary this year! So I decided it would make a great movie of the month.

Starring
Nic Cage

John Cusack
https://i.imgur.com/6SnunF3.mp4

John Malkovich
https://i.imgur.com/te5jHut.mp4

and special guest (among others) Steve Buscemi
https://i.imgur.com/E9AdapN.mp4

It's a ton of fun, filled with one liners and explosions. It has a great ensemble cast with supporting actors like Mykelti Williamson, Ving Rhames, Colm Meaney, Danny Trejo, and Dave Chappelle (who gets thrown out of a plane if you want to see that happen to him).

So come celebrate 25 years of Con Air!
https://i.imgur.com/W6rMJyx.mp4

Edit: you can watch it in HD if you have Prime Video, but also it's free on Tubi!

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Con air is a lot of fun with a wild concept and a great cast. Definitely a 90s staple of action. My one hot take on it though is that I think Nic Cage is held back too much in this role. He plays a cool, calm hero, but Cage is at his best when you feel like he’s going to lose it. Luckily everyone else is bringing the crazy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel like Cameron Poe is on the more exaggerated side of things than a lot of the truly awful action movies Nicholas Cage has made where he's just a dude with slick-backed hair and a gun, but, yeah, it's still dialed down from where you want to see him.

For some random context, Rachel Ticotin, who played the female corrections officer that Poe protects, also appeared that year in Turbulence, a different movie about criminals hijacking an airplane, starring Ray Liotta, who recently passed. It is also available on Prime.

Con Air was director Simon West's first feature film and is easily his best, as compared to such films as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and The Expendables 2. That said, he did some good work directing music videos when he was starting out.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 2, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Con Air was director Simon West's first feature film and is easily his best, as compared to such films as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
and The Expendables 2. That said, he did some good work directing music videos when he was starting out.

It was also Jerry Bruckheimer Films first movie which surprised me. (Not Burckheimers first production credit though obviously)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s a version of this film I could see where Cage plays Cusacks character, but dialed up even more. But then that’s really just his role in the Rock which came out before it.

Is this one of the only two that Cage and Rhames share? (Bringing out the dead as the other)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This movie feels very Jerry Bruckheimer (it's sandwiched between The Rock and Armageddon in his production credits). I looked up the cinematographer, David Tattersall, to see if he was a Bruckheimer regular, but apparently not. Instead he went on to shoot Soldier and the Star Wars prequels. Bruckheimer never worked with Simon West again either.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

checkplease posted:

There’s a version of this film I could see where Cage plays Cusacks character, but dialed up even more. But then that’s really just his role in the Rock which came out before it.

Is this one of the only two that Cage and Rhames share? (Bringing out the dead as the other)

Kiss of Death.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The whole concept of a decorated soldier getting hard time for defending his pregnant wife from knife wielding rapist bar trash in the south because "hes a deadly weapon" or whatever is almost to ridiculous for even this movie,,,a movie where steve buscemi is supposed to be the most dangerous psychotic serial killer in history. They could have made him guilty of something a jury would actually give a poo poo about.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Didn’t he make a deal? But the judge just hated military people or something and gave him max penalty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
honestly Rules of Engagement was worse in that regard in just about every aspect

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
question

do you think Steve Buscemi's character went on to live a normal life?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

question

do you think Steve Buscemi's character went on to live a normal life?

He changed his name and went on to a successful, long running career as a character actor and volunteer fireman.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Not long after he joined an oil rig before succumbing to space dementia on an asteroid. Should have never put him on that plane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh wow i had totally forgotten that Dave Chapelle was in this

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
An absolute blast of a film, entertaining from start to finish, with a sense of constant escalation. Every time I rewatch it (every couple of years) I think "maybe this time it'll be too silly for me", but no, it's still great.

I am also grateful to Homestuck for pointing a particular demographic of young nerds toward this movie for the first time back in '010 or so.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Getting my watch in right now. Good poo poo.

Nic Cage telling Mykelti Williamson "I'm going to show you God does exist" is :kiss:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I saw this in the cinema back in the day and I had brought a 1,5 liter bottle of Pepsi that I managed to finish about an hour into the film. I had to piss so bad that it was physically painful for the last 30 minutes or so but I didn't want to miss a second so I powered through until the end. 10/10 stars.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I've never actually seen it, now's my chance I suppose!

5 minutes in I'm beginning to realise that this isn't the same film as Airplane, and my life has been a lie.

Edit 2: Well that was an extremely silly film. Pretty good!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 12, 2022

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Malkovitch grew frustrated as there were a lot of rewrites on set. I thought he was great as Cyrus.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
He absolutely should have just gone to trial, he never would have seen the inside of a prison cell! But I love this dumb fun movie :)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched Wild at Heart and I realized that both feature Nic Cage going to jail, his blond gf raising their kid whiles he’s in jail, and then meeting this at end of the film where he gives them a stuffed animal. Both versions of Cage also have a southern accent of sorts.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I mean, one could make the argument that Nic Cage went to prison because he got convicted of manslaughter (no witnesses to back up self-defense claims so it's plausible the jury was convinced) but the filmmakers had to have the judge say "you're going to jail because you are a lethal weapon". I mean, it's dumb but the movie kinda is overall (in a good way) so it makes sense but still.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

His wife and the bar owner? (Whoever says "Cameron this guy's deyy-ed")were witnesses weren't they?
Edit: ok the wife sees them 3v1 him then runs off to get some guy.

Also it's weird how the drunk guy who's like mid 30s at most is still fixated on Vietnam in 1997.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 22, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

banned from Starbucks posted:

His wife and the bar owner? (Whoever says "Cameron this guy's deyy-ed")were witnesses weren't they?

They weren’t there for the part where he does the nose bone into brain urban legend move, or for when the guy pulled a knife. And his friend takes the knife and runs off so it’s not there for evidence. However the judge throwing out the plea bargain because of his ninja training is an all time moment, very worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I am also grateful to Homestuck for pointing a particular demographic of young nerds toward this movie for the first time back in '010 or so.

That’s me. Homestuck instilled a lifelong love of Cage (which itself got me into filmmaking.) I themed my bar mitzvah after the man lmao

EDIT: It is fine that I resurrected this year-old thread because I am on an airplane.