Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ok so the project is: finish an attached 2 car garage.

Like what is your timeline for this kind of poo poo? If your company made a bid for 3 and a half years to finish a fairly standard 2 car garage on a run of the mill 3 bedroom house, do you think you’d get the work? Just asking because there have been construction crews day in and day out on this guys garage for 3 and half years now. Theyre always sawing poo poo, like all day long. Like how much lumber does that make, if you run a saw for and average of 3 hours a day for over 1000 working days? Also this poo poo is p gutted, like no appliances, just white paint and a slab. Some guy rolled his car into the back wall at about 20mph about 6 months ago lol. But like, even taking the piss with incompetent labor, like do you think it should be buttoned up by now? Now they got work lights for night time poo poo, I guess the 3 and half years they spent on this 2 car garage with no shelves and appliances is under some kind of deadline now. They’re really burning the midnight oil on this poo poo. Like it seems super hard but I mean, people finished a 5 tier parking garage downtown in 8 months, for instance. Should somebody walk over and pants these guys and throw their tools in a ditch, am I at a clown act at the circus? Where is the cotton candy? How long does it normally take to gut renno a 2 car garage goons? :thunkin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Literally everywhere the construction and building industry is under unprecedented stress due to supply and labor shortages so everything is taking way longer. The cost of timber has also sky-rocketed so its not as simple as just "how long to build" because you need both the required materials and qualified labor on site together to make a project work.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Like 5 months at most?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My cousin could do it in a week, but you gotta pay him under the table.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

3 weeks or it's free

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Maybe they're just using the garage as a staging area and demoing and renovating the entire interior.

Or there's an Evil Villain Bunker under it, you ever think about that you big fuckin' jerk? Probably not I bet. Well? What now?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Question for those in construction: is it better to have the jobs where you're doing something or the ones where you're literally just standing in a spot for 8 hours?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

was there a big bank heist about four years ago nearby? or a medium diamond heist?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sounds like they are building a secret rape dungeon OP

E. This your neighbor?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

Literally everywhere the construction and building industry is under unprecedented stress due to supply and labor shortages so everything is taking way longer. The cost of timber has also sky-rocketed so its not as simple as just "how long to build" because you need both the required materials and qualified labor on site together to make a project work.

See that's why you don't hire this guy.

You hire people who get poo poo done or else Pooh's Packin set up a hobo lumber camp in your garage for 3 years

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The only people in my city that are demanding to proceed with construction projects are cunty stay at home mums who's husbands work in finance or oil and gas, who don't understand what a "shortage" is. They are paying out the nose to get a pergola that cost $10k 4 years ago and costs $30k now because Shaz down the street is the toast of town with her new vine arbors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

See that's why you don't hire this guy.

You hire people who get poo poo done or else Pooh's Packin set up a hobo lumber camp in your garage for 3 years

Some sort of Aussie Tradie + American Hobo mix sounds pretty dangerous

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
On a scale of 1 to 10 how flammable does this structure look, OP?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Beef City posted:

Maybe they're just using the garage as a staging area and demoing and renovating the entire interior.

Or there's an Evil Villain Bunker under it, you ever think about that you big fuckin' jerk? Probably not I bet. Well? What now?

Nah you can hear all the hammering and screwing in the garage and pounding on the walls and poo poo but then it’s just empty when they open the door. Also I think one guy literally just sleeps there. I thought they would at least have a chandelier and a wet bar after 3 and a half years but I think they like actually took out the hot water tank and haven’t bothered to put another one in yet lol. :downs:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Have you asked grover

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s seems like they’re about $900000 of labor into this poo poo, conservatively. It’s like a 250000 house in the best sales environment.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This loving guy keeps ratcheting his lovely little power drill too, like he doesn’t know how to sink a screw after 3 years too.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

This loving guy keeps ratcheting his lovely little power drill too, like he doesn’t know how to sink a screw after 3 years too.

Some people are just real bad at stuff

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Why build garages when you can build software that changes lives op

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Create a fake tv show around the situation, make it into a race.Hire two construction crews, give them half each to complete. Pretend to film it and stand around with your friends like a film crew.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Poohs Packin posted:

Some people are just real bad at stuff

Yeah poo poo I guess so. It would be cool if they were chopping up bodies for the mob or something, but they’re not.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

It's a money laundering operation, trust me I'm on the internet.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

they could have weird punishment fetish like those little builder guys in Fraggle Rock, where they build structures and dismantle them overnight so they can build them again the next day

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Granted they probably spent about a year of this time hauling 50 or 60 2 inch thick steel poles up a hill by hand to keep this thing from collapsing, but who am I to judge. Sometimes it takes 40 2x4s and some drywall and plaster, sometimes it takes bracing the structure with 60 military grade steel poles. :shrug:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Took me almost 2 years to build a carport, so about 3 years on a garage sounds right.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Question for those in construction: is it better to have the jobs where you're doing something or the ones where you're literally just standing in a spot for 8 hours?

Construction has two halves, the first half is made up of tradesmen, These guys breath math and angles and good work, for them standing around is death. These guys do not stand around. Working with them is like playing for the end of the movie championship winners in a kids sports movie.

The other half is cooperate construction, in which you get one tradesmen and a bunch of bored people to stand around him until the one moment they have to haul rear end to rake out some asphalt or something. This plays out like the office, but with less suits and more swearing.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Took me almost 2 years to build a carport, so about 3 years on a garage sounds right.

:thunk:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Who What Now posted:

it fuckin owns as a job tbh

at least until the part where your knees hate you

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
oh you mean both as construction. i thought you meant over working in an office or something

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mimesweeper posted:

oh you mean both as construction. i thought you meant over working in an office or something

That would be sitting in a spot for 8 hours. Standing in a spot for 8 hours is retail.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I guess it depends on how deep they’re building it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Buce posted:

I guess it depends on how deep they’re building it.

Yeah I mean maybe they gotta cut out part of the house for a big old long rear end penis car, didn’t even think of that! :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Do they even have two cars? They're never going to be finished if they only got one car.