Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

I think BYOB is the funniest forum on the internet and I think the style of humor here would be perfect for this idea; combining silly, innocent, whimsical/goofy jokes with satirical subtext is something this forum historically does well.

The idea:
A childrens' book written and illustrated for children living in a fictional dystopian Earth in total decline

The joke:
The book is full of whimsical childhood wonder and positivity and just entirely ignores all of the signs of a dystopia in the background of the illustrations.

Example:
Text at the top of the page reads:
The world is outrageous but hey, at least you're inside
You can set a stage, even write a play of your own design

Illustration:
A child on a mock stage putting on a play where they are holding a magic wand and pretending to cast a spell on their dog. Through the curtains in the window there's a city skyline with an explosion leveling a street, and a figure in a white hood shoots a machine gun indiscriminately into the air. A large tentacle reaches out of a portal in the sky, toward the window maybe.

The process:
Post funny page text and/or funny illustrations of page text in this thread :shrug:

The goal:
Making a funny thread.

If the idea is popular I think it would be cool if we could create 10+ top quality pages and then have it printed as an actual book and get a copy sent to everyone who contributed. Afterward I would be willing to try to shop it around to publishers of satirical childrens' books and maybe get it actually-published with proceeds split among all contributors. I would really like to do that but if all we get is a funny thread then mission accomplished anyway :kiddo: (submitting something to this thread does not mean you have to allow it to be used in a theoretical printed book)

Style Guide
For page text:
Avoid rhymes unless they are very good/funny. The example I posted above is not good enough. Don't rhyme for the sake of rhyming. Bad rhymes or rhymes just for the sake of rhyming really detract from anything and should be avoided unless everything rhymes, and that restriction sucks for contributors! If you have a really fantastic rhyme, use it.
Things like alliteration or alphabetical lists are fun and appropriate for the childrens' book theme. They're not strictly necessary.
A lot of the time kids' books are read to children by adults and kids love hearing adults say silly things or tongue twisters or whatever. Absolutely feel free to throw in a rare "bubba gubba borba lindtsen joober flambin' trink brank gornky" reference BUT because the eventual audience of this could be non-BYOB posters, the joke should be funny even if a reader doesn't understand it (e.g. use it in place of other random gibberish words). Alternatively since the phrase itself is inherently funny in some way we can use it heavily throughout the book like it's some kind of key phrase in the dystopian future. But it can not be every joke in the book.
Keep it short overall. 1-3 sentences per page. Simple sentences. Let the illustrations show, the words are just there to tell
Avoid profanity but you don't have to use vocab that would be understood by a child, we can assume they would know those things in the dystopian future.
Avoid byob references/injokes as the punchline of jokes. References are fine but only if they just go ignored by people who don't get them - if they're part of the joke or part of the punchline then the reader knows it's supposed to be funny to them and if they don't get the reference, it's jarring for them, they feel lost.

For illustrations:
The pages would be 8"x10" at 300 dpi so 2400x3000 pixels would be the full page size. But you should leave room around the margins and feel free to go smaller, there should be room for the text too. I'd say ~1200 x 1200 minimum?
Don't include the page text in the image itself unless you have a clever idea for how to insert it or it's like a word above someone's head that they're yelling.
Nothing obscene, this is a childrens' book after all.
Only style requirements: use thick, dark (non-black) outlines, flat shading, and minimimal/no shading overall. Just to keep it consistent, that's easiest for everyone to contribute to.

Goon projects always fail!
This one is relatively low investment, all we need is 10-15 funny posts and 10-15 drawings to accompany them! I am willing to do the rest myself (finding a self-publisher, submitting to actual publishers, designating revenue share payments, etc.) because I need recent projects like that for my resume :shrug:

It's totally fine to ignore all those rules and post funny things/smaller drawings/low effort spitball jokes for the thread but if we print an actual book the submissions will need to meet those requirements!! Also I am totally open to changing any of the rules I don't need to be the only one controlling every aspect of this project, I'm just willing to in order to see a goon project through to completion :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

at least one page can be about how lovely the sunsets are when wildfires are burning, another about the extension of the growing season in some places, maybe another about how we are killing off all the scary bugs and fish and soon the world will be just us and our pets.

i like this idea a lot, already! i can't really draw or anything unfortunately.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

deep dish peat moss

Heather Papps posted:

at least one page can be about how lovely the sunsets are when wildfires are burning, another about the extension of the growing season in some places, maybe another about how we are killing off all the scary bugs and fish and soon the world will be just us and our pets.

i like this idea a lot, already! i can't really draw or anything unfortunately.

:yes: these are great!

Heather Papps

hello friend

something kinda like this:

Heather Papps

hello friend

or

Manifisto

the hosed up wolf spiders were born of radiation
but they're excellent pets with a little domestication!

ty nesamdoom!

google THIS

One fish (shows a hideously mutated two-headed fish)

Two fish (shows the heads splitting apart to form two distinct organisms)

Dead fish (shows the more deformed mutant fish expiring)

New fish (shows the hardier strain of mutant fish hunting other mutant aquatic life and beginning to sprout additional heads)

deep dish peat moss

These are all great posts and I'm going to start illustrating some of them soon :hellyeah: But anyone please feel free to contribute illustrations

Stoner Sloth

it's a small brave new world

maybe something with children of all nations holding hands around the earth (some of the figures clearly not human, maybe an indistinct towering evil figure in the background)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
little red riding hood, but the red riding hood is a gas mask. the grandma is the impossible, yet somewhat nostalgic dream of a future. the wolf is your geiger counter going insane

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the woodsmen are alerted and they're closing in on your position, stalker

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heather Papps

hello friend

"don't forget to check your geiger counter and anomaly sensor frequently, just like mom!"

google THIS

Do you like soylent green eggs and ham?

deep dish peat moss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
a la “monster at the end of this book”, a self referral book about the book in question being taken away for “dangerous ideas”.

the dangerous ideas are everything the right wing bleats are “corrupting” and all that moral panic garbage.