Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2019, refer to archives]

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West
June: The African Queen by C. S. Forester
July: The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
August: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle
September: Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride
October:Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談)("Ghost Stories"), by Lafcadio Hearn
November: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) , by Matthew Hongoltz Hetling
December: Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark

2021:

January: The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
February: How to Read Donald Duck by Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart
March: Carrier Wave by Robert Brockway
April: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brian
May: You Can't Win by Jack Black
June:Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
July:Can Such Things Be by Ambrose Bierce
August: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
September:A Dreamer's Tales by Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany
October:We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
November:Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers
December:Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

2022:

January: The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway
February: Les Contes Drolatiques by Honore de Balzac
March: Depeche Mode by Serhiy Zhadan
April: Kalpa Imperial by Angélica Gorodischer (Trans. Le Guin)
May:Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Current:

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Beasts-Eld-Patricia-McKillip/dp/1616962771

About the Book

quote:

I admit it: I have been seduced by Patricia A McKillip's The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, the 1975 winner of the inaugural World Fantasy awards and the latest in my trawl through fantasy champions of days gone by. Gorgeous, lyrical prose, a story that is more than just a linear journey from one drama to another, and a three-dimensional female character: it feels a million miles away from my manful slogs through Michael Moorcock's Corum trilogy, and Poul Anderson's Hrolf Kraki's Saga.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2009/aug/20/fantasy-forgotten-beasts-eld

quote:

But when I sat down to write my first major fantasy, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, I didn’t question the point of view that came out of my pen. It seemed very natural to me to wonder why in the world a woman couldn’t be a witch or a wizard, or why, if she did, she had to be virginal as well. Or why, if she was powerful and not a virgin, she was probably the evil force the male hero had to overcome. Such was my experience reading about women in fantasy, back then.

So I wrote from the point of view of a powerful female wizard, who, even after she married, was the hero of her own story, and whose decisions, for better and for worse, were her own.

quote:

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld is a spellbinding novel, and like Gail Carriger wrote in the book’s foreword, I’m finding it difficult to find the words to adequately describe it. It’s a trademark McKillip book with its lovely prose, fairy tale feel, occasional moments of quiet humor, and timeless themes—and yet it’s unlike anything else I’ve read. (Of course, that uniqueness in itself is trademark McKillip!) It twists and turns and doesn’t end up where one may expect from its beginning, and yet its path is always true to Sybel and her character. It’s fantasy complete with a kingdom, magic, intelligent and/or talking animals (including a dragon!), and emphasis on threes and sevens, and like the best stories in the genre, it’s an imaginative, immersive story about humanity that lingers in the memory long after reaching the end.

https://www.fantasybookcafe.com/2017/10/review-of-the-forgotten-beasts-of-eld-by-patricia-a-mckillip/

quote:

What do you remember when you think of books you read long, long ago? Plot? Character? Setting? Or something more nebulous?

I tend to remember how a book felt, which is about as nebulous as things get. There’s usually one lingering image in my very visual-reader brain, as well. Jo Clayton’s Serroi books feel defiant, a small green girl in a looming landscape. Melanie Rawn’s dragon books are regal, but there’s one image of a picnic that I can never shake, and another of a valley.

Patricia A. McKillip’s The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, on the other hand, is a mountain home, a dragon, solitude, and defensiveness. Rereading the book, which Tachyon Publications just reissued, was a singular experience: marrying those feelings with what actually happens in the book, which both is and is not what I remember.

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/09/revisiting-patricia-a-mckillips-the-forgotten-beasts-of-eld/

About the author

quote:

Born in Salem and educated at San Jose State University, McKillip first became a published author in 1973. When the World Fantasy Awards were established, she was part of the initial cohort of honorees in 1975, winning in the novel category for “The Forgotten Beasts of Eld,” a historical romance. She later won another World Fantasy Award for her novel “Ombria in Shadow” and ultimately won the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement.

Weisman said that when McKillip received her first World Fantasy Award, she neither knew that “The Forgotten Beasts of Eld” had been submitted, nor that the award even existed.

“The award then was a rather hideous bust of the writer H.P. Lovecraft created by the artist Gahan Wilson, a very talented artist best known for his cartoons in Playboy,” Weisman said. “So Pat opened the crate and discovered that the award had been damaged in transit. Its neck was split and she wondered if this were a sign from the Fantasy Mafia, that perhaps they thought that she should stop writing. Of course it wasn’t and she didn’t.”

Pacing

:justpost:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

She wrote roughly 30 other books too!

Discussion of Past Months

You can still keep talking about books from prior months, too! Just keep comments for those books in their respective threads -- that's why we link them all at the top! The party doesn't have to stop just because another has started!

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Thank you! :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I tore through a stack of McKillip's books last month and this one especially made me kick myself for not reading her work before now.

I need to sit down with a timeline and compare what LeGuin was publishing at the same timeframe and see if there are any articles about the two of them cross-influencing each other.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This should be interesting; I only read the Riddle-Master trilogy from her and while it was mostly enjoyable, it really dragged at points. Hopefully a single volume will be better about pacing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
There's a lot of exposition, and a lot of telling without showing, I think is is how most fantasy books used to be since I just finished The Broken Sword, but I feel like I'm just sliding off these characters, and not connecting with them in any real way. But I guess I'm still in the first few chapters and and the hero is still getting the call and is probably in the "do not respond to the call" phase.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a lot of exposition, and a lot of telling without showing, I think is is how most fantasy books used to be since I just finished The Broken Sword, but I feel like I'm just sliding off these characters, and not connecting with them in any real way. But I guess I'm still in the first few chapters and and the hero is still getting the call and is probably in the "do not respond to the call" phase.

Yeah there's a certain amount of that especially at the start of the book, but it gets better once the story picks up.. I think it's the Dunsany influence washing over everything in the genre in that era.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So are folks reading this or . . .. ?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We’re calling for posts with the deep silence in our minds

Also can’t really handle how stupid blammor sounds

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

I'm reading it but I haven't gotten very far yet. It's hard for me to read "Mondor", I keep wanting to read it as "Mordor" which would change the reading a bit too much!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I grabbed it from the library but I just finished the Riddle-Master trilogy, and as someone mentioned upthread, that one's pretty slow at times. I'm looking forward to this because I've never read Eld before, but just haven't gotten very far in it yet, just a handful of pages.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading it but I keep switching it with another book; I feel you need to be in the propoer mood for McKillip's style of storytelling to work if that makes sense.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I am 45% through according to my Kindle. And I definitely agree that it takes the right mood for me to get absorbed in it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just read the 'look inside' preview on Amazon and I've ordered the paperback. I think I want to get properly absorbed in this. It reminds me a bit of Jack Vance, the Lyonesse stuff - I adore this fairytale cadence. It's how everything I write turns out, though obviously not as good as this. I have the Riddle Master books in a big volume somewhere; I should get them out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

p sure mckillip died last month, is that why you picked this now? i'll see if i can grab it at the library, doesn't seem like a long read

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've started it! This author is good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This one was really good, as predicted!

I like how most of the drama is basically from trying to predict what the main characters will do and who's trustworthy, because all of the main characters are a bit opaque and the book is askew from romantic fantasy norms, so it's entirely possible to believe that a heel turn might come from any direction.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

This one was really good, as predicted!

I like how most of the drama is basically from trying to predict what the main characters will do and who's trustworthy, because all of the main characters are a bit opaque and the book is askew from romantic fantasy norms, so it's entirely possible to believe that a heel turn might come from any direction.

I might have to give this one a shot, in that case. I'm approaching the end of Book 2 of McKillip's Riddle-Master trilogy, and while her prose is lovely, I haven't really been feeling the story. Both books have consisted almost entirely of the main character wandering around doing very little and (at least in book one) "refusing the call", while everyone else talks about the profound destiny they've been marked for, to the point where I've been wondering if I'll even bother starting book 3. It seems she turned to writing exclusively stand-alone novels since 1994 - maybe that's the format where she does her best work?

Hieronymous Alloy,, did you turn up anything about a dialogue between McKillip and LeGuin's work? The publication timeline certainly lines up, and their styles "rhyme" with each other so well that I'd be curious to know if there was more going on than just writing in the same general period.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

I might have to give this one a shot, in that case. I'm approaching the end of Book 2 of McKillip's Riddle-Master trilogy, and while her prose is lovely, I haven't really been feeling the story. Both books have consisted almost entirely of the main character wandering around doing very little and (at least in book one) "refusing the call", while everyone else talks about the profound destiny they've been marked for, to the point where I've been wondering if I'll even bother starting book 3. It seems she turned to writing exclusively stand-alone novels since 1994 - maybe that's the format where she does her best work?

Yeah, I read five or so of her books and skimmed some others and picked this as the best I found of the lot. It really came across like this was a book she wanted to write and Riddle-Master was the result of her editor or publisher telling her a trilogy would be a good idea. Not that Riddle-Master is bad, it's good, it's just not as good as this one.

quote:

Hieronymous Alloy,, did you turn up anything about a dialogue between McKillip and LeGuin's work? The publication timeline certainly lines up, and their styles "rhyme" with each other so well that I'd be curious to know if there was more going on than just writing in the same general period.

I haven't found anything specifically on point yet. Leguin's website doesn't contain the word "McKillip". Big problem is searching them both together generally just finds hundreds of articles from people saying "I like LeGuin and McKillip" or "my two favorite authors are" or "This work is reminiscent of [them both]" etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 18, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So, like the ending feels pretty unearned, I mean....

So the prose is fine, feels mostly mechanical, all the characters talk basically the same, there's no voice to any particular character. There's some kind of mysticism to names but there's no exploration of this or real introspection in it. There's some kind of way that the term name is being used but we're just left to imagine it. Like we are a lot of things. There's a loving dragon, but it's just a

quote:

the green-winged dragon
Granted dragons are kind of boring, but all the beasts are kind of boring. Maybe they were forgotten because they were boring. They're all just super version of the normal animal as far as I could tell, a big rear end swan. No wonder nobody really gives a poo poo.

Sybel is so passive. She doesn't seem to want anything, and then when she does want something, it's the absence of things. Her ultimate victory comes from giving up. For all her power all she really does is give up. She gives up and takes care of the baby, gives up and needs comfort from Coren then gives up and throws everything away when she finds out that actually pursuing something she wants is somehow really bad and it magically works out for her. This seems kind of strange given it was written during the heyday of second-wave feminism by a woman author.

Also from a moral standpoint, she's not exactly good she has all these animals basically enslaved, but they're magic talking animals, so slavery seems kind of gross. She's real upset when someone else goes to mind-enslave her, but there's no realization on her part that hey maybe she shouldn't treat the forgotten beasts this way, she's just kind of gives up at the end.

There are a lot of boring fantasy tropes too, but they weren't so established then, so I can't really hold it against her. But wizard families, bleah, enough already with some people being genetically superior.

Also Blammor just sounds so loving stupid to me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In other news, the UK version of the ebook is way better than the one available in the USA.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What are the differences?

Edit: I finished it and got the feeling that the author was trying her hardest to have a story where war doesn't solve anything but the story ends up being incomplete because there's not even a short battle scene with magic taking the place of combat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 21, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

What are the differences?

The stylesheet in the American one is frankly a mess. It's possible nobody cares about this but me, although I do notice that nearly all the American ePubs of most of McKillip's books only have bad scans of the paperback as the cover image.

I wound up splurging on some of the British ones and man, The Book of Atrix Wolfe is really good. I like this one okay but that one is way better.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
suggestions for next month?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

suggestions for next month?

Let's continue the run of "female fantasy and sci-fi authors I should have been told about sooner" with The Curse of Chalion.

Alternately, let's go with "female socialist childrens authors of the 1910s that other people should have been told about sooner" and do something by E. Nesbit, possibly The Story of the Treasure Seekers or The Enchanted Castle.

Burke
Jul 27, 2005

Simba-Witz!
Just finished this in two sittings. I did my usual audiobook+kindle thing and enjoyed it quite a bit. I can't argue with any of the criticisms above, but they didn't occur to me while reading. I really liked the moodiness and the Leguin 'echoes' for lack of a better word. I'll probably check out The Book of Atrix Wolfe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

To some degree I think that slow, dreamlike fantasy is just a hard medium in which to convey "seething, searing rage", so that while Sybel clearly has reason to die mad about what happened to her, she doesn't quite come across as someone who's actually mad enough to make as many bad decisions as she decides to rack up.

I dunno, maybe that's intentional? On reflection that book does kind of have Sybel repeatedly dip her toes into some aspect of the human condition that she's never experienced before and going all-in on it until something happens that drops her another step down the ladder:

1) basic human connections
2) fear
3) murderous rage
4) love

Also possibly step zero, "liking birds a lot".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I didn't get a poll up in time (my bad, other things going on, sorry) so I'm probably going to throw up a thread for The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler for next month, unless someone changes my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
My opinions about this book are conflicted overall.

The fairy tale style made me feel like I would have likely enjoyed it as a child, especially if it was read out loud to me.

I liked all of the creatures and enjoyed their varied personalities. The boar in particular struck a chord with me, and I liked how even though he was under the spell of Sybel he still would push her and provoke her when she was going down a dark path.

I agree with the other posters that Sybel was rather hypocritical. On the one hand having your mind controlled by another is the worst thing in the world, on the other she keeps a menagerie of wonderous sentient beings under her command and sees nothing wrong with it. I would have been fine with the beasts just enjoying living under her protection, rather than explicitly held.

The various men of Sirle, Rok Eorth and the others, weren't very fleshed out and I had a hard time remembering who was who. I also felt that Coren was a bit of a nothing character, and I never understood why Sybel put up with him even before he slapped her in the face.

Rommalb sounds too much like "Ronald McDonald" in my head and I had a hard time taking it seriously. I forced myself to read it as Romm-ALB, and that improved things. I didn't feel the ending where it became the Lurelin was particularly earned either.

All of this said, I quite enjoyed the world the book created, and I could imagine a book with maybe a boring layperson as the main character would have landed better with me. Someone experiencing these events with wonder, rather than just accepting magic as a common occurrence.

Thank you for recommending!