Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Astro7x posted:

$200 more.

These look to be all the features you get with M2 on a Macbook Air

-M2 Upgrade which is 20% Faster?
-10 vs 7 core GPU
-1080p vs 720p camera
-4 Speaker Spatial Audio system vs 2 Speaker Stereo
-13.6” Liquid Retina display vs. 13.3” Retina display
-Media Engine w/ hardware acceleration for ProRes, H264, etc. (this is missing in the Mac Comparison tool, does the old M1 not have this?)
-New design w/ a noth
-Configurable up to 24GB of RAM
-Headphone jack with advanced support for high-impedance headphones
-Fast-charge capable with available 67W USB-C Power Adapter

Basically... that's a lot of stuff the average person probably doesn't need. I find it fascinating that they are still selling and supporting base M1 Macs though for a $200 up sell. Wouldn't it be easier to release all the base M2 machines at once and then just discontinue the base M1? It seems like they've abandoned the M1 MacBook Pro, and I assume they'll do the same to the M1 Mini. Maybe they felt like this was enough new features to justify two tiers of Macbook Air

njsykora posted:

Or they just are going to keep selling them while they have stock like the Intel macs.

They'll keep selling the M1 at $999 for a while. Apple has always had a sub 1K laptop in its lineup for enterprise and EDU (it's 899 for EDU) in particular. This is the same reason they still have the base iPad for $329 (309 EDU).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

badjohny posted:

Apple just needs to throw some money at big developers to get them to port their games. The worst is when they have games on the iPhone or iPad but are not available on m1.

The new Diablo game just came out and doesn't have a Mac OS X version.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think I will get a refurbished base model M1 Air and just upgrade it sooner than if I had paid almost 2x for a 16 Gb/512 GB M2 Air. I don't think I need the upgraded specs except to potentially make the laptop last a little longer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

~Coxy posted:

The new Diablo game just came out and doesn't have a Mac OS X version.

This is not a bad thing from what I’ve heard.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Pretty disappointed in the lack of Apple Music updates (did I miss it?), but definitely excited for...

-Lockscreen widgets!
-Better Carplay
-iMessage updates
-Homekit

There's gently caress all in updates for Apple Music.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Gay Retard posted:

Pretty disappointed in the lack of Apple Music updates (did I miss it?), but definitely excited for...

-Lockscreen widgets!
-Better Carplay
-iMessage updates
-Homekit

That’s the other thing I don’t understand, why show a CarPlay demo that for most of us is probably what, a decade+ out? CarPlay debuted in 2014 and it’s just now getting to the point where it’s standardized equipment, except for the Muskmobiles. This is orders of magnitude bigger, there’s no way this is getting rolled out in a reasonable timeframe, unless they already have some sort of embargoed deal with BMW to offer it as a $120 a month subscription option in a couple years. Maybe it was just to keep all of the car people from resigning?

Astro7x posted:

$200 more.

That’s what the 2 in M2 stands for.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A $200 price increase is very reasonable when you consider the changes to the economics of making a computer over the past few years (which are only getting worse). Fuel prices have skyrocketed, there are massive shortages of everything. The biggest surprise is they waited till now to do it. I can tell you right now that prices in the pc space have risen far, far more sharply to the point where one of the factors in me buying a Mac Studio when it came out is that it was actually good value compared to building another gaming PC (where GPU prices alone had tripled in the 4 years since I’d built my previous PC).

Go take a look at what you can actually buy in the windows laptop space for the same price as an M1 air - it’s absolute poo poo by comparison.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I don't think people understand who huge the CarPlay announcement is. If this plays out as promised, some of the biggest automakers are giving Apple the UI to their cars. This is the Apple car, you just get to pick out what brand you want it in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if automakers support the new climate controls / radio integration on the center screen while keeping their own instrument cluster.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

njsykora posted:

This is not a bad thing from what I’ve heard.

Ya. p2w aspect is bad, but the fact that blizzard who has usually supported Mac went out of their way to not allow it on Mac is the issue. Overwatch, Overwatch 2, Diablo immortal, probably diablo 4. It use to be you could count on blizzard to support Mac, now I doubt those games ever come to Mac even though they will probably come to the switch that has much worse hardware.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

I love this. Switching back and forth between Authy and the site/app asking for my 2FA has always been a pain.

Love this, but they need to let me choose mutliple 2fa apps like I can choose multiple password managers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My vote for "coolest but most useless gimmick feature" from the event was that "camera view of your keyboard" thing.

Like .... what the gently caress, a whole team got paid for half a year to develop that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Data Graham posted:

My vote for "coolest but most useless gimmick feature" from the event was that "camera view of your keyboard" thing.

Like .... what the gently caress, a whole team got paid for half a year to develop that

it’s going to make shooting synthesizer demo videos so easy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I saw so many people going yo this poo poo is going to make so much poo poo way easier. I might actually upgrade to a non-SE iPhone for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's definitely one of those very cool, very niche features that will definitely make the people who can make use of it really happy.

I'm not one of them, tho.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anton Chigurh posted:

Laughed out loud at that. Even ran his fingers through his hair. Hilarious.

the Wizard of Hair and Time

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Data Graham posted:

That feature is already fully developed on teams, where it's called content camera.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/rooms/content-camera

It's mostly used for education scenarios (main camera aimed at teacher, content camera aimed at whiteboard).

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Data Graham posted:

It'll make sports card breaks easy to do, where breakers open packs of cards in a livestream that people pay to get a spot in.

That hobby exploded during the first two years of the pandemic and the money involved in it was insane.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The camera features are bizarre considering we're at least a year past peak webcam, and folks who still use them either have one, use their perfectly functional laptop camera, or are engaged in some type of streaming that's probably not done on a mac. The desk view is cool, I guess, but it's super niche and if you're dishing out $30 or whatever for the Apple-branded iPhone mount, you might as well just spend a bit extra and buy a webcam that doesn't tie up your $1000 iPhone.

It feels like one of those features that Apple adds to its products that isn't meant to actually enhance a workflow so much as cynically package a version of some setup from Youtube or Twitch and give their customers the warm fuzzies about their ability to "create content."

Anton Chigurh posted:

It'll make sports card breaks easy to do, where breakers open packs of cards in a livestream that people pay to get a spot in.

That hobby exploded during the first two years of the pandemic and the money involved in it was insane.

:psyboom:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 8, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean like ... color me owned I guess, drat

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I swear, nerds are never happy. Apple is giving us native webcam support for old iPhones - great use-case for anybody with one sitting in a drawer. Great for 3rd party apps that already provide this feature as well - they'll have a bunch of APIs to play with.

Half of nerds think Apple is intentionally slowing down old hardware, the other half is annoyed Apple wastes time developing features for older hardware (Apple Watch 3). You just can't win.

I guess I need to start live tiktoking opening AEW trading cards so I can become an influencer or something.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 8, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Baronash posted:

The camera features are bizarre considering we're at least a year past peak webcam, and folks who still use them either have one, use their perfectly functional laptop camera, or are engaged in some type of streaming that's probably not done on a mac. The desk view is cool, I guess, but it's super niche and if you're dishing out $30 or whatever for the Apple-branded iPhone mount, you might as well just spend a bit extra and buy a webcam that doesn't tie up your $1000 iPhone.

The other bizarre thing to my mind is that if they want this feature to be useful for probably 90+% of iPhone users, it needs to work on Windows.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

I swear, nerds are never happy. Apple is giving us native webcam support for old iPhones - great use-case for anybody with one sitting in a drawer.

The phones sitting in drawers aren't getting iOS 16 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inept posted:

The phones sitting in drawers aren't getting iOS 16 though

IOS16 also doesn't guarantee continuity camera, it's XR/XS or newer only.