Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

The pandemic isn’t over, but Calcio Storico is back in full force for 2022, after 0 games in 2020 and a truncated, finals-only contest in 2021. All four quadrants of the city will be represented once again!

The draw is thus:

• Azzurri of Santa Croce vs Bianchi of Santo Spirito - Friday, June 10

• Verdi of San Giovanni vs Rossi of Santa Maria Novella - Saturday, June 11

Finals, as always, will be on June 24, the feast day of St John the Baptist

If you are new to Calcio Storico, here’s a quick rundown of what this thing is:

Calcio Storico Fiorentino is a ball sport played exclusively in the city of Florence, Italy, a mere 3 times per year. It is an ancient form of football, with rules written in the 1500s for noblemen only. It got brought back in the 1930s, and is played among the 4 historic neighborhoods of Florence

• Azzurri of Santa Croce - 23 tournament wins

• Bianchi of Santo Spirito - 18 tournament wins

• Rossi of Santa Maria Novella - 8 tournament wins

• Verdi of San Giovanni - 2 tournament wins

Calcio is played on a sandy piazza (Better to soak up the blood!) in one, 50-minute period. Teams are comprised of 27 men per side - 4 Goalkeepers, 3 Fullbacks, 5 Midfielders, 15 Forwards, and are almost exclusively drawn from the representing districts (There are a handful of outside ringers, and the rules have also tried to limit the number of players with violent crime convictions, much to the consternation of several teams).

The game is simple, you win by scoring more points (Cacce). At each end of the piazza is a net, and any player may attempt a shot on goal, either with hands or feet. Putting the ball in the net is a cacce. Missing the net by sending the ball over the net is a half-point (Mezza-cacce) for the opposing team, so most players only attempt shots when very close to the goal (Though there are some who lob bombs from deep. There's no penalty for coming up short). After each goal, the teams switch side and the ball is put in play again from mid-field. The referees can also call re-starts and penalties when appropriate. The winning team gets formerly a calf, but now just a nice dinner.

That's how things go, in theory.

In actuality, the game starts with a fancy lad hurling the ball into the center, and a general melee ensues. In earlier days, fistfights were the norm, but once the devil MMA was introduced to Italy, the brawls were ignored in favor of sloppy takedowns and sitting on guys. This proceeds for a few minutes, with whichever team won control of the ball having the ball carrier hang back and wait for an opening. Once enough angry Italian men have been martially occupied by other angry Italian men, a mad dash for the goal ensues.

For the fist fights, nearly anything goes. Kicks and knees to the head aren't allowed, and as said, the grappling is mostly sitting, nobody is really going for submission holds.

Expect to see a lot of gesticulation and shouting and also coaching staff members pouring bottles of water on players.

Also, everyone is dressed in silly Renaissance garb, so all of this, the running and fighting and uncoordinated piles of men slapping into each other, is done while wearing colorful pantaloons, and the coaches have flags, and the referees have big silly hats and feathers.

HOW TO WATCH

Most importantly of all, for any sporting event, is the question: how exactly am i supposed to consume this thing with my lookin-peepers?

Well, if you can't make it to Florence to see it in person, or on TV, Indiana Production has the international broadcast rights. Last year, the sole game was on a Live-Now stream for under :10bux: but I'm not seeing 2022 Calcio listed there :ohdear:.

Hopefully things will clear up closer to the first semi-final match on Friday, and as soon as I discovery any new information, I will provide an update.

Until then, CALCIO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Working remotely on Friday so I can enjoy the one true sport.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Finally, it's time

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
An Italian news site says DAZN will stream the games, but it appears just for Italian DAZN, as Calcio does not appear on the schedule for USA

Still trying to find more info

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
USA last in healthcare, last in Calcio streaming rights :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ive never heard of this op, interesting, thank you

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Is that one quadrant still complaining because of the year they got disqualified because one of their players punched a ref?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I tried using a VPN to connect to DAZN to watch but it's rated 18+ and requires Italian, Spanish, or German ID to get past the youth filter lmao

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot all about this thing until now but I was curious to see what it looked like. Looked it up and and the finals are online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3fmuQRABuY&t=432s

Timestamped to entrances at 7:12
Something that seems important happens at about 34:55, some guy initiates everything I think, another guy reads a scroll
Match starts at about 41:00

It's basically a ball game where the floor is littered with grappling bodies. Someone gets stretchered out about 5 minutes in after the first goal. Cool stuff.

Congratulations to team The Blue Team, you've done your district proud.