Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I love his howls, it reminds me of the climax of Bladerunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well... you uh... huh... You Broke it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

And that friends is it for this LP.

As I said at the beginning of the video, I can only really apologise for it as a whole. We went in with the intent that I would do everything, but by this point I was just unbelievably done with the game.

Ultimately that lack of enthusiasm has reflected in the tone of the LP and I just don't think that's a place that I want my LPs to come from. Suffering is only fun when the person is actually invested in the suffering. And let's be fair, I didn't really suffer all that much.

To everyone who's followed to the end though, thanks so much for coming along for the ride and I really do hope you enjoyed it.

We'll be looking at Mega Man Rock & Roll next which is an absolutely incredible Mega Man fan game and our introduction is set to debut on Friday the 16th of September, with the first episode coming out on Monday the 19th.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Don't worry, sometimes you don't like a game and it's just that way, I like Spiderweb games but Queen's Wish and Geneforge (including the remake) really annoy me, I like From's souls games but Bloodborne really annoys me (It's the way it massively reduces the number of playstyles, both in offensive options and in defensive options), I really like From's Armored Core games, except the last two, I really like Chris Taylor's RTS's, except Planetary Annihilation really misses something the previous two had (it brought in interplanetary warfare and, ironically, I'd say it misses scale and speed). I disliked the first the last of us, and hated the second, both of which are apparently held in high regard by at least one human being each, something which makes me sad for the concept of sapience.

Sometimes you just don't like a thing, doesn't mean you'll dislike its cousins, but it just didn't work out that time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You should play Armored Core though Nat,

You really should'

It has giant robots

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I don't think you need to apologise to us, for whatever that's worth. You showed us your honest experience and I think that's just as important as seeing all the enthusiastic ones.

I've gotten the impression from this LP, and a lot of the conversation around these games in general, that they tend to be very polarising, and players end up either loving or hating them. I know a lot of people who are really into them, and have had quite a few conversations trying to piece together why because I personally just don't get it (and have no personal desire to play them). For better or worse, these games really click for some people and not at all for others.

I can appreciate a lot of the aesthetic craftsmanship (though I'll also admit it isn't exactly to my taste either), but the gameplay sensibilities are antithetical to what I want out of a game in a lot of ways. I'm genuinely not sure to what extent any of that is worthy of criticism: clearly enough people like this that it's doing something right, but at the same time, if literally everything is a matter of taste in the end, there's no such thing as valid criticism other than "I, personally, do not like this", and that's absurd. Also, to complicate this further, sometimes bad game design can actually be good game design; there have been plenty of games that end up being better player experiences in some way due to something that on paper should be a flaw, or even due to outright bugs or broken mechanics (e.g. look at all the enjoyment people get out of breaking Gen 1 Pokemon). In the case of the Soulsborne games I think it's more that the game is intentionally designed to create a very specific sort of experience, that happens to be one I don't want to have (and which I suspect Nat doesn't enjoy either).

I don't have any final thoughts or clever insights to sum this up, except that I am interested in these games as a phenomenon to the precise degree that I'm uninterested in playing it personally.

Let's go on to better things. I played Mega Man Rock & Roll a couple years ago when it first came out, it's great and you're going to love it.

Edit: on the specific subject of penalties for death, this is one of the precise issues I have as well, especially when I compare this to something like Celeste (which is often praised specifically for how little it penalises you for dying, and how quickly it gets you back into action so you can keep practising). I have a friend who praises the penalties to the skies, precisely because it increases tension and anxiety in the player, and he enjoys that ("it makes your decisions feel like they matter"). Meanwhile I have an anxiety disorder and absolutely do not come to my pastimes to be given more stress. I do think this is ultimately, a matter of taste, but it's made it very difficult for me to talk about game design with him (and has seriously impeded our progress on some mutual projects, because we're often working at cross-purposes).

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 13, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Explopyro posted:

Edit: on the specific subject of penalties for death, this is one of the precise issues I have as well, especially when I compare this to something like Celeste (which is often praised specifically for how little it penalises you for dying, and how quickly it gets you back into action so you can keep practising). I have a friend who praises the penalties to the skies, precisely because it increases tension and anxiety in the player, and he enjoys that ("it makes your decisions feel like they matter"). Meanwhile I have an anxiety disorder and absolutely do not come to my pastimes to be given more stress. I do think this is ultimately, a matter of taste, but it's made it very difficult for me to talk about game design with him (and has seriously impeded our progress on some mutual projects, because we're often working at cross-purposes).

I'm stumped for examples right now, but something I've noticed with this particular sort of thing is how granular it can be in effect. I've played games where I don't mind the runback at all and others where it felt like a slog, where the actual difference between the two isn't much.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

You should play Armored Core though Nat,

You really should'

It has giant robots

Actually watching nat20 learn to murder AC4A would be very funny, also it's a good game, also there's a lot of fun history about it to explain to bewildered people.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

Actually watching nat20 learn to murder AC4A would be very funny, also it's a good game, also there's a lot of fun history about it to explain to bewildered people.

Nat should murder ALL the AC games, but AC4A is a good start

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its not everyone's cup of tea. Bloodborne is a game you enjoy by ramming your head into it for hours at a time to get the high from finally beating that loving boss. Definitely not the kind of thing everyone would enjoy!

Of course, you will never escape Bloodborne though. The true Bloodborne starts now: living in England

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One argument that I think hasn't been stated yet in the thread in favor of the Soulsbornes' deliberately archaic design, is that they're meant to test you not just technically but also emotionally. Managing your emotional balance to stay in the sweet spot of the anxiety-focus-boredom scale is something the runbacks, currency loss, no map and cheap gotcha kills are intended to test. For some people, this works so well, that we got the "Don't you dare go hollow" meme and players telling you how Dark Souls helped them deal with their depression. This tells me FromSoft and Miyazaki are clearly doing something right here. Having said that, they've walked back a lot of these design choices (like the runbacks or lack of map) with every game, signaling that they admit they were also doing something wrong. I'll keep watching as this develops, because I find the impact that the series had in gaming as a whole to be nothing short of fascinating.

As for my personal opinion on both this issue and the LP... I think Explopyro already said most of what I wanted to express. I adore Hollow Knight to the point that it is the only game I've ever gotten Speedrun or Ironman achievements in, but the hostile design they take from Soulsbornes originally made me quit it after the first few hours. Being frank, I'm somewhat relieved to see Nat share the sentiment that he finds the mechanics to be disrespectful of the player's time and that they make the rest of the experience less enjoyable for him. So there you go, I understand you being disappointed as a showman on your own lack of enthusiasm for the show you're putting on, but know that at least one person in the audience found vindication through that aspect of the LP.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Explopyro posted:

In the case of the Soulsborne games I think it's more that the game is intentionally designed to create a very specific sort of experience, that happens to be one I don't want to have (and which I suspect Nat doesn't enjoy either).
I think you absolutely hit it on the head. From designs games that want you to adopt a certain mindset, approach them in a certain way, and if you do that, it's hugely rewarding. If you go in with the expectation that the game will be a certain way, or cater to a playstyle, or allow you to do [x] because "that usually works", then you won't have much fun. The thing is, there's tons of games out there that are incredibly free-form and just give you billions of tools and you will usually succeed, and I just find those much less rewarding. I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West right now, and I really dislike how many options there are in combat, because I feel like I'll never play like it was intended, and that's something I'm always looking for in games: the designer's intent. Someone made an enemy with a certain moveset and weak points and resistances etc., and they must have thought "okay so you can stun it and then attack or blast the armor off and then go into melee, but you can't set it on fire and arrows won't do much" or something like this, and I very much want to do the fight as the designer imagined because that makes me feel smart (I figured out their enemy-as-a-puzzle) and powerful (I absolutely wreck the enemy with the correct tools).

However, in HFW I can
- pre-buff with various potions and food
- call in a mount to fight from OR on
- use valor surges as buffs or attacks
- use weapon skills (different one for each weapon)
- employ something like 10 different status effects (at least double the amount of the first game)
- use melee combos
- build up an energy blast with my weapon
- choose from a huge variety of weapon models, again probably double the amount of the first game

And that's ALL new stuff, on top of laying traps, tripwires, tying the enemy down, starting in stealth to get a big hit in, using charged attacks vs heavy vs light attacks, using big bombs vs precise hits, tearing off armor, and so on and so forth. I get the distinct feeling that there is no "intended" way to deal with enemies, they instead gave you an overwhelmingly huge arsenal, designed enemies with a lot of attacks and moving parts and stats, and figured "there's probably a good way to fight each of those because we made so many options". As a result, every fight feels sloppy as hell, and I never know if it's because I just suck at dodging (feels AWFUL, by the way, especially compared to, well, Souls games), or because I had the wrong build, or because I should really have equipped an acid weapon (I don't want to fiddle in the menu for EVERY fight), or because I didn't grind to upgrade my bow enough, or because I always ignore mounts and combat thereon, etc.

In Bloodborne, you "only" hit the attack button, but I have to consider the following:
- I haven't seen this enemy yet. Will it surprise me with an attack and utterly destroy me?
- oh God I have 30k Souls on me, like three levels, and am super far in. Can I find my way back if it fucks me up?
- maybe I should leave the guy alone for now. Around this corner I might find a shortcut, or get into even deeper trouble, gently caress

And after engaging, it's again all about risk assessment:
- should I finish my combo or will the pull out a hyperarmor attack before they die?
- they wind up an attack, should I dodge then attack or will it be a combo one? Do I know it's a combo one and do I also know that I can dodge to one specific direction and let them whiff the follow-ups while I lay into them?
- how's the stamina looking? Should I expend it on this first dude or will the second one joining the fray then hit me as I'm out and can't dodge?
- wait, there's a second one? Maybe I should stop the R1 combo and use the L2 two-handed sweep (Axe example) to hit both
- or rather should I disengage and wait for a better opportunity?

That's much more exciting and interesting for me than pure variety in what you can do in combat. Again, for me. Nat clearly was looking for more variety in what buttons to press, which attacks to use, and I think that's still there, but not if you use The Blender Weapon and on your first playthrough. My first time, using the Axe (hi, Tea!), I used the charged R2 a LOT because it is really good, but eventually I realized it's a bit of a crutch and switched it up. Then I discovered how varied and rich the moveset is. But again, that relies on you allowing the game to do its thing and engaging with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'll say there's a lot about the game that's in realizing that it's in some ways basically a fighting game, things like the actual animations and mix-ups are really important compared to HZD (I haven't played HFW yet) and this can be both infuriating (dogs and rats, worst enemies since Demon's Souls, and probably before) and feel extremely good (clowning on a boss proclaimed as "hard" because You Have Its Address, And It Is Your Sword) and there's avoiding getting your rolls caught and so on.

On the other hand the extremely reduced option set of Bloodborne is very ehh for me, and I can't fault anyone for not being a fan, then there's what I think as genuinely bad decisions, like still having weapon durability and having to farm or buy basic healing and gunmagic charges.

Either way, I do hope there isn't a national mourning period ban on LPing because apparently there is for football, stay safe in hell island.