Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
this thread inspired me to watch Underwater and Midsommar

Underwater was... okay. Good concept, pretty spooky creatures, some fairly harrowing stuff towards the end. Held back by crappy dialogue writing and generally bad acting throughout, kind of a shame.

I liked Midsommar a lot better. Definitely a slow, pretty much humorless movie but definitely felt wrong and unsettling pretty much the whole time. Don't think it needed to show as much of the gore as it did, felt like a cheap attempt to add in more shock value to an otherwise slow burn of a horror movie. I like slower, atmospheric horror though so yeah I enjoyed this one

oh was not expecthing the snipe :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I wish they could somehow remake Jaws with everything being the same except the shark looks real.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I wish they could somehow remake Jaws with everything being the same except the shark looks real.

No.

Jaws is great and just about zero movies should ever be remade.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No the shark looks stupid as he'll. Everything else is great but the shark sucks.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I'm traumatised by how much you post

That's fair but I don't really have much going on right now. I mean the weather is nice so I'm outside most of the time

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No the shark looks stupid as he'll. Everything else is great but the shark sucks.

Wait they had a name for the thing because they all hated it but I can't remember what it was

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Bruce I'm pretty sure. And it was a huge problem and yeah everyone hated it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Midsommer was good but I think it will be considered a classic in a decade or so. It isn't a pure horror movie, but it has a semi unique daytime psychedelic slasher theme that is pretty gross.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 21, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Bruce I'm pretty sure. And it was a huge problem and yeah everyone hated it.

Yeah so like airbrush the lovely animatronic shark out and paste in some high quality modern cgi. There has to be a way to do it that doesn't ruin the movie.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Watched the Aja The Hills Have Eyes again and that thing rips for a couple sequences. Gary Busey's character is wild.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They did that with another Spielberg venture and it was dumb as gently caress.

E: CGI'ing over stuff, I mean.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Practical effects are better than CGI.

Fight me.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Practical effects are better than CGI.

Fight me.

I don't think anyone's gonna disagree with this. Honestly as much as I like annihilation the bear sounds better than it looks

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think my favorite movie with the best practical effects that would now be super CGI is The Thing. Just absolutely wonderful effects.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched Annihilation and it was a great movie, the lighthouse scene was creepy as hell and really cool at the same time.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I had one of those creepy coincidences that would really make you freak, if you believed in the supernatural.

A couple of days ago, Mrs. Genesplicer and watched the original "The Amityville Horror" (1979). One of the things that is a recurring part of the story is seeing the clock go from 3:14 to 3:15 (Apparently that's when the demon-induced murders at the beginning of the movie occurred.) It happens five or six times over the course of the film.

Cut to last night. It's a cool night, so we have the windows at the head of our bed open. We are asleep, and I'm awakened by the sound of a kitten in our backyard. I get up, grab my phone so I can use the handy flashlight, and go to see what's going on with a random kitten on our property (this is something that happens from time to time, we have ended up adopting several of our cats this way over the years.) So, I turn on my phone as I walk out the back door. And I watch the clock on the screen go from 3:14 to 3:15.

For just a moment, it was weird. If I believed in the supernatural, it would have been really freaky. However, it was just kind of a creepy, weird coincidence.

Never found the kitten.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I think my favorite movie with the best practical effects that would now be super CGI is The Thing. Just absolutely wonderful effects.

The remake's effects were so bad. There were a couple of times they still had practical props such as the autopsy scene and those looked great, such a shame they were mostly CGd over. Not that I think we were robbed of a would-be masterpiece but at least we'd have a mediocre movie with some cool gnarly effects.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

They did that with another Spielberg venture and it was dumb as gently caress.

E: CGI'ing over stuff, I mean.

E.T. and covering the agents' guns with handheld radios.

In hindsight, that change would be reality now, but at the time, people would 100% have run around with a gun instead of a radio.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Scary Owl posted:

Just watched Annihilation and it was a great movie, the lighthouse scene was creepy as hell and really cool at the same time.

Yeah that creeped me the hell out

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genesplicer posted:

I had one of those creepy coincidences that would really make you freak, if you believed in the supernatural.

A couple of days ago, Mrs. Genesplicer and watched the original "The Amityville Horror" (1979). One of the things that is a recurring part of the story is seeing the clock go from 3:14 to 3:15 (Apparently that's when the demon-induced murders at the beginning of the movie occurred.) It happens five or six times over the course of the film.

Cut to last night. It's a cool night, so we have the windows at the head of our bed open. We are asleep, and I'm awakened by the sound of a kitten in our backyard. I get up, grab my phone so I can use the handy flashlight, and go to see what's going on with a random kitten on our property (this is something that happens from time to time, we have ended up adopting several of our cats this way over the years.) So, I turn on my phone as I walk out the back door. And I watch the clock on the screen go from 3:14 to 3:15.

For just a moment, it was weird. If I believed in the supernatural, it would have been really freaky. However, it was just kind of a creepy, weird coincidence.

Never found the kitten.

That would keep me from going back to sleep for sure. We have this stupid thing we call our "shoe chest" outside my door for our dozens of shoes and sometimes I wake up at night and the shadow it makes it look like a person standing there and even though I'm aware of it your brain doesn't function when you first wake up so I always jolt out of bed and turn the light on

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 21, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I used to be an absolute baby about horror movies until I watched The Ring in highschool. I was in a rowdy theater full of loud people, and even louder people yelling at them. Everyone shut up within the first few minutes. My heart was racing for the whole movie. I was starting to get lightheaded by the time her father killed himself. I then made the mistake of going and looking up lore afterwards and had trouble falling asleep. I had trouble sleeping after probably the next two times I watched it in college. A while back, I realized I haven't been scared by anything since.

A few months ago I rewatched it with a friend of mine who is into horror movies because I was curious if it was my kryptonite. We concluded that it holds up pretty well considering it's a 20 year old movie about VHS and landlines. It didn't scare me, but during the creepier parts I had the scalp tingle that ASMR people talk about.

On the subject of jumpscares, they're supposed to be a release of tension while the movie is getting you wound up. That doesn't work though if there isn't any tension to release. That's also something that got to me in The Ring. There are several parts where they set up an obvious jumpscare and then just don't pay it off. Like at the beginning where one of the girls is in the fridge with the door blocking the hallway. If you've ever seen a horror movie, you're expecting as soon as she closes the door that either something will go past out of focus in the background or her friend will be standing there...but then she just closes the door and nothing happens. I'm pretty sure there are some jumpscares in there, but the ones they don't pay off messed with me.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Just watched Jacob's Ladder (original) on recommendation of this thread.

Pretty creepy and a good example of how horror can be a cool way to explore philosophical concepts in a short time.

I'm surprised the movie isn't more well known but I guess there were so many pop culture giants in the 90s.

Also Kyle Gass is in it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

spleen merchant posted:

Just watched Jacob's Ladder (original) on recommendation of this thread.

Pretty creepy and a good example of how horror can be a cool way to explore philosophical concepts in a short time.

I'm surprised the movie isn't more well known but I guess there were so many pop culture giants in the 90s.

Also Kyle Gass is in it.

love me some Tenacious Dying Dream

Silent Hill 1 was inspired mostly by this and Stephen King

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a Turkish horror movie I saw once some years ago that I think was pretty good. I can't really remember anything about it. I think a guy goes into Hell? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

E: Baskin!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You're thinking of Turkish star wars

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I saw Jacob’s Ladder in the theater when I was 14 and came out confused and disappointed because the entire thing went over my head. Great movie though. Apparently they cut a few scenes out before release that I wish they had left in because they’re creepy as hell

https://youtu.be/8hkLhMuzk3E

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's fair but I don't really have much going on right now. I mean the weather is nice so I'm outside most of the time

:same:

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Scratch Monkey posted:

I saw Jacob’s Ladder in the theater when I was 14 and came out confused and disappointed because the entire thing went over my head. Great movie though. Apparently they cut a few scenes out before release that I wish they had left in because they’re creepy as hell

https://youtu.be/8hkLhMuzk3E

Yeah it felt like it had been edited a bit tight.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I'm glad you're going to watch The Exorcist, OP. You don't gotta be religious to find it unsettling.

Unsettling is what I look for in horror movies these days more than scared. I like how it lingers. Poster above mentioned Hereditary, but for more of this feeling I also recommend

The Innocents (1961)
The Haunting (1963)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (you know which one)
The VVitch
It Follows
The Shining
The Thing
The Terror (miniseries)
The Ritual
Creep

And for a great time with some great creatures, please watch Return of the Living Dead

check out The Void. its amazing

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

There's a Turkish horror movie I saw once some years ago that I think was pretty good. I can't really remember anything about it. I think a guy goes into Hell? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

E: Baskin!

yeah that film owns. it's similar to The Void where its purposely confusing or leaving out details so you never fully know what's actually going on

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Beyond the Black Rainbow isn’t a horror film per se but it was definitely weird and creepy

Bone Tomahawk was horrific in its own way. Gory but not in a way that felt gratuitous

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The only movie to give me chills or be scary was Communion, especially the bedroom scene. 10yo me was seeing aliens around every corner at night for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWrvhF1HvA

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I've seen a million horror movies, and Hereditary is the only scary one of the lot.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hereditary was an incredible experience in the movie theater. Nobody knew exactly what they were walking in to. The trailer had me expecting a movie where the grandma's ghost was haunting the family, maybe trying to possess the daughter. As the movie went on we had 4 people walk out (you can probably guess at what point) and by the end everyone was dead silent when the credits started rolling.

My wife and I went for hibachi afterwards and 2 dudes that were in the theater were there, too. They asked us what we thought of the movie and we said we loved it, then they both kinda looked confused and didn't talk to us much after that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mother! was a very unsettling movie, probably the most psychologically weirded out I've ever felt in a theatre without being scared or grossed out

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen Hereditary before but I was confusing it with something else. I only remember the ending though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Calvaire, the Ordeal is about a town that's a goon meet and an unlucky fella happenin' by.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owrlQlLExY