Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/RiverRunGames/status/1701020714374230320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good for them. It’s a good game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Well I guess I’m buying this a second time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saxophone posted:

Well I guess I’m buying this a second time.
:same:

was gonna try playing through with the "Final Fantasy Jobs" mod but instead I'm just going to play through on switch

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm pretty deep into what I guess I'd call "postgame" (that is, stuff that expects the player to be level capped, and probably to be done after they've seen the credits). I'm about ready to put the game down, not that I can blame it for having lots of bonus content. Is there anything particularly cool I should check out before I do? I did beat Spirit Cage, who was brutal. (All hail the Scholar's MP Sickle spell; I had no idea how to take it down honestly.)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

nrook posted:

I'm pretty deep into what I guess I'd call "postgame" (that is, stuff that expects the player to be level capped, and probably to be done after they've seen the credits). I'm about ready to put the game down, not that I can blame it for having lots of bonus content. Is there anything particularly cool I should check out before I do? I did beat Spirit Cage, who was brutal. (All hail the Scholar's MP Sickle spell; I had no idea how to take it down honestly.)

the megaboss is accessed by clearing all four ocean bosses, if you haven't done that yet. I don't remember where the portal spawns exactly once the conditions are met, but i assume somebody's written a guide that pinpoints it by now.

you should also find your way to the giant cube at some point, that dungeon's fun

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
MP Sickle also defeated the evil giant cube boss! It turns out it can’t do anything once it’s drained. I had to use that bad Warlock MP restore spell in order to not get stuck myself, though.

That place was funny; I found my way in before even doing much in the jungle, and then immediately got demolished my random encounters and had to come back later.

I’ll go hunting for ocean bosses, thanks. I have already beaten one (and got demolished by another, some giant shark dude), so I’ll look forward to seeing the others.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
Haven't played for a while since it's on my backup mini PC (are there cloud saves?) but is the timing for jumps / mount swaps going up the tree really tight or what? Is there anything that makes it easier?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gawr Gooner posted:

Haven't played for a while since it's on my backup mini PC (are there cloud saves?) but is the timing for jumps / mount swaps going up the tree really tight or what? Is there anything that makes it easier?

if you're willing to look up a guide and spend a few hours chocobo breeding/racing, you'll unlock the gold chocobo that handles all of swimming, flying, super speed, and high jumps on its own. no more mount swaps needed

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
Oh drat. I was probably going to use a guide for that anyway, but was saving it as the last thing I did.

Might as well start now?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, mount swaps is not the "intended" method to get there (but does work, it's all doable without Golden Quintar) which is why the timing is rough.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Gawr Gooner posted:

Oh drat. I was probably going to use a guide for that anyway, but was saving it as the last thing I did.

Might as well start now?

The most important Quintar-related resource. Quintar Racing either expects you to practice until you're perfect or to find a way to cheat. The absolute maximum number of races any Quintar needs is four and you can cheat for easy wins on four of the courses, so racing is easy as long as you can win Undersea Trail just once. A Desert or Black Quintar will help with that one, but it's the big hurdle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

IIRC you can also use Assist Mode or whatever to skip all that bullshit if it's too tedious.

You can climb the tree without a gold quintar, it's a total pain in the rear end but I've managed to do it. Then I got stuck on that boss and ended up wasting that whole trip there. Fun times...

Of course you'll want a gold quintar anyway because the best armor in the game requires using one to access.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So I did a thing:

I want to go back in for a cleaner run though, because I fell short of my actual goal: clear it without ever letting an enemy take even a single turn. My strategy definitely works, I just botched the execution at the home stretch. How is this possible? Short answer: Warlock Mail is loving busted. Slightly longer answer: Warlock Mail is loving busted, but figuring out how to provide your Warlock with all the support they need was a massive teambuilding exercise, and incredibly satisfying to pull off. Hell, I've got three whole template slots dedicated to various stages of refinement for the setup. And if you want a full writeup:

The linchpin of this whole affair. Warlock Mail letting you dump your entire MP pool into a single action gives you truly obscene burst damage potential. It also synergizes well with Warlock's otherwise lackluster damage options. Douse and Frost both set up one turn statuses that increase your damage output, which is hard to get value from in normal circumstances, but since you're doing all your damage in a single turn anyway, you can enjoy the full benefits. Mimic is doing a few things here, some of which I'll get to later, but the important thing for the Warlock specifically is that it lets them use the Diamond Pages without having to make room in their PP budget for Equip Book. Thanks to Warlock Mail, you can sort of think of extra MP as functionally equivalent to extra damage. It's a little more complicated than that, but it mostly works. With this setup, Diamond Pages more than doubles your max MP, which is a significantly better return than you'd get from any other weapon options. I actually prioritized boosting MP even more in previous iterations, but as it turns out, 25% ice damage from Snow Pendants is still worth more than the best MP accessories. On the flip side, there actually aren't any passives that directly increase magical damage, so you're free to load up on MP Boost and Refresher. Stalwart is on everybody for one very specific reason, and Inner Warmth is the only 1 cost passive left that's at all relevant.

Warlock Mail cheese is all well and good for a single boss, but in an endurance gauntlet you need a way to refill the tank in between fights. And for that, Chemist is the best game in town. This, of course, comes with the obvious downside that you're limited to the amount of items you can carry into the start of the gauntlet, which is where all the Mimics come in. Use one item, Repeat it as necessary, and suddenly you've got functionally infinite MP for the price of one measly Tincture. Beyond that, this is the character you have the most wiggle room on. They don't need any special gear to perform their role, and Mimic/Chemist has no innate damage potential, so you're free to build them as you see fit. I've opted for a basic attack boosting build with a splash of healing bonuses (which do apply to both items and MP healing), but you could also ignore their personal damage altogether and focus entirely on healing, relying on copying whatever someone else is doing if you have a spare turn.

Nomad serves three important purposes. First, Chill Blast tags the enemy with a status increasing the ice and water damage they take, which are conveniently the two elements the Warlock is using. Without this extra boost, the damage just isn't there against a lot of the later bosses. Second, opening every fight with an Initial Focus boosted Drown (courtesy of Nomad Vest) is a solid chunk of damage in its own right. At one point I did some experimenting with gear loadouts to see if it was worth trying an ice build instead, but Drown ignoring a bunch of resistance for free is just too good. Even with maximum boosts, Icicle Barrage's damage is barely competitive, and you're sacrificing a lot to get there. The third purpose is something I didn't come up with until pretty far into the process. See, character #4 is also using MP, and a lot of my early attempts fizzled out due to getting overwhelmed trying to keep both them and the Warlock topped off. Enter Therapy Stance. It also applies to items and MP healing, and the extra splash of MP it provides for character #4 makes things go a lot more smoothly. There's also a neat trick you can do with it thanks to the way targeting works on Mimic abilities, but it's kind of hard to explain in writing. As for the rest of the build, water boosts are obvious, and Axe of Light provides boosts to both damage and healing. Also, cast times and going before the enemy are much more important concerns for both the Nomad and character #4 than they were for the first two, hence Fast Cast, Preemptive, and the Fursuit.

The only character not running Mimic, this is your enemy disabler, buying you the time you need to get all that other stuff set up. Between Guaba, Sleep Aura, and the Pointy Hat, they can keep enemies locked down for five whole turns, and with all the speed tech they have on, Sleep Aura always goes off before the enemy's first turn, though there are a couple particularly fast enemies against whom Guaba does not. Importantly, with how both characters are set up, it also goes off after the Nomad's initial Drown, so it doesn't break sleep. For everything else, this is the other character who has a little bit of wiggle room depending on how they want to do damage. I'm using Stardust Wand to eliminate the possibility of Aero/Whirlwind misses, but if you're alright with some inconsistency, you could use a higher mind weapon and deal with the miss chance, or stack luck instead and use Lucky Dice as your main damage spell. Alternatively, you could cast Overload on the Chemist and not worry about the Summoner's offensive stats at all, or even use Aura Focus to boost both Lucky Dice and the mind scaling spells while hoping the hit to your MP doesn't screw you over too badly.

Some other general notes:

This was all done on normal mode. The damage requirements are tight enough on the endgame bosses as is that I suspect it probably won't work on higher difficulties. (Specifically in terms of denying the enemy turns. It should still be a pretty safe strategy for tackling the Hollow in general.)

The Chemist is running 60 Reaper levels, and everyone else is running 60 Shaman levels. They have the highest strength and mind growths in the game, respectively.

It probably doesn't super matter, but women have higher stats in everything that matters for the purposes of this challenge. (Except luck, for variance/Lucky Dice reasons.)

Don't forget that Observe exists, if turn order ever ends up in an inconvenient spot.

A few fights that are worth bringing extra attention to:

Early on, one of the Undercity bosses has the "instant turn when critically damaged" trait. Don't let it trip you up!

There's three enemies in the Hollow that are immune to ice: Red Guardian, Pamoa, and one of the Peacekeeper's Tentamouths. None of them are all that hard to deal with, and the first two have a fire weakness to compensate, but it's something to be aware of.

You can kill Mind's Delusion in the Coyote fight, and in fact you technically have to in order to fulfill the stipulations of the challenge. Either attack while it's paralyzed/silenced so it can't counter, or cast Reflection on the Warlock beforehand so they bounce off. The second option is maybe slightly against the spirit of the challenge, but counters != turns, strictly speaking.

There are two fights that don't give you a chance to restock on MP, meaning you need to top off at the end of the previous fight. Tira can't be put to sleep with magic thanks to its whole evasion gimmick, so you need to burnScan through all the veil stacks immediately. And Anubis just plain doesn't let you use anything but magic, so both item and copycat are unavailable.

Speaking of Anubis, as far as I can tell it's actually completely impossible to stop it from casting Meteorite. Status effects all get cleared when it dies, so silence/paralyze don't work, and it's not technically a counter, so Unreactable wouldn't either if you tried to make room for it on someone. Again, the Meteorite cast isn't a "turn" exactly, so the terms of the challenge are still being fulfilled, but this is why everyone has Stalwart on. Note that you need to make time to heal back to full sometime between the two volcano fights and here, but that's pretty trivial.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 29, 2024

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Warlock Mail is the only reason I was able to beat the final boss battle. That thing is pure cheese and I love it.