Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i have no loving clue if i'm on the spectrum. all i'm certain of is that i experienced six Adverse Childhood Experiences, which have left me stuck with the emotional awareness of a twelve year old. i should be homeless, incarcerated or dead but somehow I've managed to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Do people buy into the theory that dyslexia falls on the other side of the spectrum, as an extreme?

No? That doesn't seem to make any sense at all on the face of it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

HopperUK posted:

No? That doesn't seem to make any sense at all on the face of it.

Yeah, considering I have had professionals float the idea of me being mildly dyslexic (I am not tho) while being super autistic, that's my anecdote, but also it just doesn't make any sense they'd be opposite ends of the same spectrum?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's Williams Syndrome which in some ways expresses itself as the 'opposite' of autism but even that is making things way too binary and simplistic in my opinion.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Do people buy into the theory that dyslexia falls on the other side of the spectrum, as an extreme?

No you’re confusing that with the fact that the dyslexics and autists are in a bitter and eternal war.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

DrowningInDreams posted:

I might be autistic. I was diagnosed with either autism or ADHD as a kid and my mom rejected the label because she thought it would ruin me and went diagnosis/med shopping instead.

Same, 'special needs education' was considered "we don't want you to be associated with those downs syndrome kids!" and other bigoted horseshit, so kids that could fake being normal enough of the time got no help. One of the things that prevented me from getting help as long as I did was I remember how people completely dismissed down syndrome kids at best as some kind of large pet and at worst a burden they wished would go away, this horrifically lovely and evil viewpoint had me scared that I'd suddenly be cut off from society if I sought help.

Dad also taught me not to ever tell anyone, even medical professionals, about suicidal ideation. I think he spent some of his time with the fed gov't doing the paperwork to ruin the lives and careers of other fed employees who sought help.

In both these examples, the response to people needing special accommodation and understanding was "contain and dispose"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 23, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Grouchio posted:

One day I wanna ask most of my former highschool friends if they were genuine friends or if they just followed their parent's orders to be nice and friendly. Before highschool that was the norm. My mother was told once by a classmate's parent that they didn't wanna associate their child with me. Mid 2000s mind you.

It sounds like the problem wasn't you but that that kid's mom was a dickhead.

Ronwayne posted:

Same, 'special needs education' was considered "we don't want you to be associated with those downs syndrome kids!" and other bigoted horseshit, so kids that could fake being normal enough of the time got no help. One of the things that prevented me from getting help as long as I did was I remember how people completely dismissed down syndrome kids at best as some kind of large pet and at worst a burden they wished would go away, this horrifically lovely and evil viewpoint had me scared that I'd suddenly be cut off from society if I sought help.

Dad also taught me not to ever tell anyone, even medical professionals, about suicidal ideation. I think he spent some of his time with the fed gov't doing the paperwork to ruin the lives and careers of other fed employees who sought help.

In both these examples, the response to people needing special accommodation and understanding was "contain and dispose"

I have a cousin who has a learning disability and her mom is a total whacko so rather than admit that and get here the appropriate help she just pretended it wasn't a problem which seriously hosed my cousin over in ways that are still present now in her 30s.

Also. I'm not sure if you're in the US but you can't even mention suicide ideation to a therapist, psychiatrist, or doctor because they can immediately have you sectioned and indefinitely detained in a mental hospital. So if you are in the US that's probably why. It's a totally great policy that definitely doesn't prevent lots and lots of people from seeking the help they need and absolutely in no way costs lives or anything like that!

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Also. I'm not sure if you're in the US but you can't even mention suicide ideation to a therapist, psychiatrist, or doctor because they can immediately have you sectioned and indefinitely detained in a mental hospital. So if you are in the US that's probably why. It's a totally great policy that definitely doesn't prevent lots and lots of people from seeking the help they need and absolutely in no way costs lives or anything like that!

I'm pretty sure that the policy is working as intended.