Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Barbie Movie is going to revive cínema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Whatever happened to that Monopoly movie by Ridley Scott? I was morbidly curious about that one.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Whatever happened to that Monopoly movie by Ridley Scott? I was morbidly curious about that one.

Ridley always has a multitude of movies in development so that if financers bite on one project he can start it immediately. It's how he stays so prolific. He learned in the 80s that if you just focus on one or two projects, you can spend years between shoots, and he always wants to be shooting. The other side of that is that there are a million Ridley projects that will never actually be made.

I don't think Monopoly was one he ever intended to shoot himself though. Scott purchased the rights to a bunch of Hasbro board games in one go for cheap like a decade ago with the intent of spinning them out to other directors for some easy cash. I think the only one that actually came to light so far was Battleship. Most of the other projects from that purchase floundered, but Monopoly had a version being developed by Andrew Niccol and backed by Lionsgate, last I heard. That was a while ago, I think pre-covid, so who knows if it's still on their slate in any form.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Well several of those shows were miniseries/never meant to go past a single season. And again....I'm only picking a selection of the shows that they run. Speaking of DC....and I could really care less about superhero stuff....'Doom Patrol' is fantastic. So is the animated 'Harley Quinn' show.

As for original material.....I haven't heard anything suggesting a significant pullback. Hell....as far as I know....they haven't even shut down Cinemax originals yet. Both 'Warrior' and 'The Knick' are set for third seasons coming to HBOMax. Very excited for those.

Of those three mini-series your mentioned, one is coming back ('The White Lotus') and 'Mare' is in some weird limbo space where it might come back, it might not, whatever. Harley Quinn's third (and likely fourth) seasons were commissioned ages and ages ago, before the merger, as was the Doom Patrol renewal... I think.

Same with Warrior, which starts filming soon. The Knick probably isn't coming back though. But this is all old Warner, not Warner Discovery.

That said, it's been suggested upthread that I may be extrapolating poorly based on the data in front of me, so we'll have to wait and see. But that said, yes, Warner is moving towards more franchise content, which is the original point being made.