Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

There's browser extensions for blacklisting domains on search results. I use uBlacklist. https://iorate.github.io/ublacklist/docs Works on FF and Chrome, and all the major search engines. It's free, and can subscribe to free blacklists.

Manually blocking spoofed websites is surprisingly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Syd Midnight posted:

There's browser extensions for blacklisting domains on search results. I use uBlacklist. https://iorate.github.io/ublacklist/docs Works on FF and Chrome, and all the major search engines. It's free, and can subscribe to free blacklists.

Manually blocking spoofed websites is surprisingly satisfying.

Gonna give this a spin. Thank you.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

speaking of pinterest, what kind of fuckery they did to get on top of all google hits

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
speaking of pinterest too, what is pinterest?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

speaking of pinterest too, what is pinterest?

it's some poo poo site that has pics that spams google image searches

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

lmfao

i'm not going to pay :10bux: a month for a loving se

there are free ways to block pinterest

[posting on Something Awfulishly] I've paid :10bux: for far worse, less useful things.

Seriously though being able to get to good, original sources quickly is great, and that's without even considering that the things Kagi will expose on the first page won't ever be seen with Google because they're mired endless pages deep in SEO spam. $10 a month is ridiculous if you're comparing it to "free", but weighing it against other subscription database/search products I use it's a bargain. Worthpoint is $22 a month and worth it at that, and Kagi opens up a lot broader set of information for useful discovery than that site does, for less.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

kagi is really good and it’s a shame that the only people who will ever get to use it are computer touchers with a company card

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's some poo poo site that has pics that spams google image searches

Never thought I'd miss Pinterest clogging up GIS, but it's preferable to this current era of them just generating AI art for every search. You can't even look up Ron perlman without getting some weird rear end anime girl AI generated competing with photos of the actual person.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Never thought I'd miss Pinterest clogging up GIS, but it's preferable to this current era of them just generating AI art for every search. You can't even look up Ron perlman without getting some weird rear end anime girl AI generated competing with photos of the actual person.

i got no such thing on my searches

i think that this is a you problem

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What was the blocker that also spammed fake hits on ads then told you how much money you've wasted of corpo dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grey Cat posted:

What was the blocker that also spammed fake hits on ads then told you how much money you've wasted of corpo dollars?

https://adnauseam.io/

Their code is based on ublock origin so I guess it should be effective, but with a radically simpler UI so it can't do the same power-user stuff that ublock can.

IMO the fundamental flaw with this idea is that while you're wasting advertiser's money doing this, you're also giving more money to google. Google served an ad and takes their cut. They don't really care that you spoofed it -- it's not like they do anything about the many click farms extracting money from ad spoofing, as long as they can plausibly deny knowledge.

So if the company you are most upset about is google, this is shooting your own foot.