Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you ascertain a spider's sex?

Look at its face. If it's got big things sticking out of it that looks like jaws, it's a male. These are called pedipalps, upon which the spider will deposit his sperm and deliver to his partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Until they're adults it's virtually impossible to tell them apart, but adult males are generally smaller and leggier and have distinctive boxing gloves on the ends of their pedipalps. In most tarantulas the males also get a hook called a tibial spur on the first pair of legs that are used to hook the female's fangs during mating. If you want to sex one before that, your best bet is to get hold of an exuvia, the cast-off exoskeleton from a moult. The females have a tiny flap called a spermatheca on the inside of the abdomen, while males are smooth.

Diving bell spiders are, to my knowledge, the only species where the males are larger than the females. Because they live underwater and carry air bubbles with them, being bulkier is an advantage when roaming around in search of a mate.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have a theory on spiders that I have no idea if it's bonkers or not.

So, all my life I have lived in the same (ish) area in England, and every September there would suddenly be spiders everywhere in the house, mostly those ones I think are wolf spiders that end up in the bath.

But since getting a house with my partner who has a tarantula, I reckon we maybe get 3 additional spiders tops inside the house per year.

Does Stewie (the tarantula) just give off big spider vibes that deter others? Is there a secret maximum weight of spiders per household? She's about 37 grams.

The garden has loads, but none seem to come inside.

I'm not necessarily complaining as I was arachnophobic until I got used to Stewie glaring at me all day and now I'm arachnoambivalent, but is there any truth to this concept?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
An average person swallows at least 37 grams of spiders every night, so I doubt it goes by weight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jumping spiders are very intelligent (for spiders) and naturally curious. They are sweet little babies and just want to crawl on the big weird thing
aren't jumping spiders incredibly intelligent for basically any animal their size, period, not just spiders?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Captain Invictus posted:

aren't jumping spiders incredibly intelligent for basically any animal their size, period, not just spiders?

It varies somewhat, but the jumping spider that wrecks the curve is the Portia genus, which is capable of developing relatively long-term plans, coming up with solutions to novel problems, and is generally entirely too smart for an animal who's brain is almost microscopic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Testing animal intelligence is also limited heavily by physical capacities as well. Reptiles get hella 'smarter' if you use mouth-based tasks instead of foot-based, because apparently they have little foot precision and are just qwopping around.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Oh man, now I'm trying to imagine how dumb aliens would think we were if they tried to gauge our intelligence through our earlobes or something.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh man, now I'm trying to imagine how dumb aliens would think we were if they tried to gauge our intelligence through our earlobes or something.

That’s what the anal probing is all about

Spider chat: I was visiting central Washington and apparently a Black Widow decided to set up camp on my car when I had it parked outside my Dads house for a few days. When I got back to Seattle after a few days there was a Black Widow that had a web set up on the little window in my garage. Used to leave the garage door open so it would have more potential prey!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cat Hassler posted:

:aaa:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Cat Hassler posted:

Spider chat: I was visiting central Washington and apparently a Black Widow decided to set up camp on my car when I had it parked outside my Dads house for a few days. When I got back to Seattle after a few days there was a Black Widow that had a web set up on the little window in my garage. Used to leave the garage door open so it would have more potential prey!

lol

Nice - I get a lot of the black widows antipodean cousin, redbacks, around here and they're always cool to watch. Very chill little spiders, don't make big obtrusive webs and catch lots of roaches and other annoying bugs and quite pretty.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never seen a jumping spider in real life so there's no way for me to know how distinct their features actually are, but pictures of them are adorable, with their fuzzy little faces & their big round eyes.

If I saw one in real life, I'm pretty sure I would have the same reaction as you, whereas if I saw a cellar spider crawling up my leg I'd saw my leg off at the hip. :shrug:
Do you live in Antarctica or something? Jumping spiders are one of the most common types of spiders worldwide. You most likely have seen one but just didn't realize it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're the largest spider family and live everywhere but Greenland and Antarctica! But tend to be very small and less likely to come into human homes, so they're easy to miss.

The biggest jumping spider species, who can measure nearly a full inch from head to abdomen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depends on the species, things like colour and size can be dead giveaways if you know what it is. Otherwise it's tough.

In most tarantulas the girls are all-round bulkier, and the guys have big pedipalps for their smaller body size so they look kinda like boxers. They also get hooks on their legs to help them not get murdered during sex :D. Or that's what I was taught, idk if it's true for all tarantulas.

Male spiders sex organs are in their pedipalps, so any spider with lil boxing gloves is a mature male. After a tarantula molts, you can check the inside of their molted carapace of a little flap where the ovipositor is, if they have it they're female and if it's missing they're male. Like you said though, it's tough.

E:lol missed a whole page

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Jul 14, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Not the greatest picture, but I found this lil guy just hanging around. I thought maybe it was dead so I blew on it a few times and it just kinda wiggled one of its legs a bit. I think it fell asleep mid-climb :3:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Knormal posted:

Do you live in Antarctica or something? Jumping spiders are one of the most common types of spiders worldwide. You most likely have seen one but just didn't realize it.

1) I do not live in Antarctica.

2) It's by definition impossible to see something without realizing it. Maybe I was in the vicinity of one without realizing it, but if I didn't see it, I didn't see it.

edit:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not the greatest picture, but I found this lil guy just hanging around. I thought maybe it was dead so I blew on it a few times and it just kinda wiggled one of its legs a bit. I think it fell asleep mid-climb :3:

Cute little snowflake :3:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://64.media.tumblr.com/ce158ec1da4f43b4bccac73809b1a01d/tumblr_inline_p5cb2x3w3H1rw5rl5_540.pnj

YeahTubaMike posted:

1) I do not live in Antarctica.

2) It's by definition impossible to see something without realizing it. Maybe I was in the vicinity of one without realizing it, but if I didn't see it, I didn't see it.

You probably have seen them without realizing that they were specifically jumping spiders, was the point I think. They are very common but if you aren't someone who's particularly interested in spiders (I don't know if you are or aren't) you might not realize what kind you are looking at. They're little.

This isn't my video but if you've ever wondered how tarantulas drink from their water dish, they kinda stick their face in (Source)
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pd0rpoVVy41xsbnvx.mp4

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

You probably have seen them without realizing that they were specifically jumping spiders, was the point I think. They are very common but if you aren't someone who's particularly interested in spiders (I don't know if you are or aren't) you might not realize what kind you are looking at. They're little.

Ah yes, that does make more sense.

I am as curious about spiders as I am arachnophobic. :smith:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the hooks on male tarantula pedipalps only generally shows up during their last molt of their life

it's their last molt of their life because when they try to molt again after that, the hooks actually gently caress everything up and they get stuck or tear themselves up and die :(

that's why males only live 5-8 years and females can live 20+

I have a P. metallica (the blue guy from the first page that looks like some kind of Pokemon) and it's still just a bit too small to sex reliably from a molt, I'm just holding out hope that it's a she.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah that's what I meant, looking back I did inadvertently phrase it kind of aggressively.

Let me make amends with a Happy Face Spider.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lol I made this gif 9 years ago, incredible

I visited a place where there were supposed to be ladybird spiders (Eresus sandaliatus) but I couldn't find any so you'll have to enjoy other people's pictures of them

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Winklebottom posted:

lol I made this gif 9 years ago, incredible

It's one of my favorite gifs, thank you!!!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

PureEvil6_13 posted:

It's one of my favorite gifs, thank you!!!

yw, I'm just wondering how you came by a tumblr gif I posted in 2012 with less than 600 notes

watch Life In The Undergrowth if you haven't, it is so good

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Winklebottom posted:

yw, I'm just wondering how you came by a tumblr gif I posted in 2012 with less than 600 notes

watch Life In The Undergrowth if you haven't, it is so good

I found it a ways back on imgur. If you look up net casting spider gif it's the first result.

Haven't heard of Life in the Undergrowth, but I've watched a lot of Monster Bug Wars which are pretty interesting, but they add a lot of dumb sound effects that make it cartoonish.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I found it a ways back on imgur. If you look up net casting spider gif it's the first result.

Haven't heard of Life in the Undergrowth, but I've watched a lot of Monster Bug Wars which are pretty interesting, but they add a lot of dumb sound effects that make it cartoonish.

must be slim pickings in the net casting spider gif department

Life in the Undergrowth is an Attenborough doc and is the source of the gif. Bit old (2005) but still great footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSg_OKMi0I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rockman Reserve posted:

the hooks on male tarantula pedipalps only generally shows up during their last molt of their life

it's their last molt of their life because when they try to molt again after that, the hooks actually gently caress everything up and they get stuck or tear themselves up and die :(

that's why males only live 5-8 years and females can live 20+

I have a P. metallica (the blue guy from the first page that looks like some kind of Pokemon) and it's still just a bit too small to sex reliably from a molt, I'm just holding out hope that it's a she.

I've heard of tarantula keepers using glycerin or similar substances to help the male survive mature molts. I've also seen a few spiders where their owner cut open the molt around the pedipalps or even amputate then to let them escape. IIRC males still don't last that much longer after their mature molt, even if it isn't traumatic. I don't remember ever hearing about one living long enough to molt again.

Hope you have a lady too!

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Jul 16, 2022