Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Problem description: I own a Dell G5 5590, and I'd like to replace the SSD with a larger one. I opened up Macrium and discovered that the boot drive is actually the hard drive, but the C: drive is on the SSD. See image from Macrium.

So I'm guessing that what I do is copy the old SSD drive on to the new SSD (I have an external device that mounts the SSD so you can clone), and then swap it back in. Have I understood correctly what's going on? Will Windows be confused by seeing a new drive that contains the contents of the old one?

If I can just swap the new disk, do I just do a good old-fashioned copy command from the old SSD to the new (which will be in an external drive dock)? Macrium won't let you do "backups" unless you pay their fee; the free version is strictly for imaging.

Attempted fixes: None. I'm asking for information.

Recent changes: None, other than the one I hope to make.

Operating system: Win 11, up to date with latest patches. OS build 22000.739

System specs:

Dell G5 5590.
i7-9750H 2.6 G
32 G memory
Disk 1 WDC WD10 SPZX-75Z10T2 931.5 G (actual)
Disk 2 GPT NVmE Kioxia 256G

Numbers on underside label:
[Chinese characters] 59218/SDPPI/2018
Reg Model P82F 5100
Reg Type No: P82F001

New SSD: Western Digital Black SN750, 500G (verified as compatible before buying)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled, yes, don't see a FAQ in this forum other than "Your Operating System has Poor Operational Security".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That image makes it look like the boot drive is the C drive (SSD) and the D drive is the data drive (HDD).

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So I'm guessing that what I do is copy the old SSD drive on to the new SSD (I have an external device that mounts the SSD so you can clone), and then swap it back in. Have I understood correctly what's going on? Will Windows be confused by seeing a new drive that contains the contents of the old one?

Yes. Windows shouldn't be confused if the old drive is unplugged at that point. The issue with cloning from a smaller drive to a bigger one is that you might have unallocated space on the newer bigger drive. It depends on the program you use. Someone else might have a better free program recommendation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zogo posted:

That image makes it look like the boot drive is the C drive (SSD) and the D drive is the data drive (HDD).

Yes. Windows shouldn't be confused if the old drive is unplugged at that point. The issue with cloning from a smaller drive to a bigger one is that you might have unallocated space on the newer bigger drive. It depends on the program you use. Someone else might have a better free program recommendation.

Here's what's confusing me. I can't clone the SSD (Disk 2 according to Macrium in the image). Macrium won't let me. It will only let me clone the HDD, disk 1. Shouldn't Macrium specifically allow me to clone the boot drive?

I am royally pissed because this laptop came in four configurations:

quote:

One 2.5-inch hard-disk drive
One M.2 2230 solid-state drive or one M.2 2280 solid-state drive
One 2.5-inch hard-disk drive and one M.2 2280 solid-state drive
One 2.5-inch hard-disk drive and one M.2 Intel Optane memory
The support manual only describes the situation with one hard-disk drive, although it warns you to turn off Optane memory if that's what I have (I don't). It doesn't show where in the bay the SSD is, or how to remove it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Shouldn't Macrium specifically allow me to clone the boot drive?

Yeah, you might want to try other software.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am royally pissed because this laptop came in four configurations:

The support manual only describes the situation with one hard-disk drive, although it warns you to turn off Optane memory if that's what I have (I don't). It doesn't show where in the bay the SSD is, or how to remove it.

I'd check YouTube. There are videos on there for all kinds of obscure things.