Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I think it's best to think of entelechs as Lovecraftian Horrors Out of Time and Space. The idea is basically a trope in fantasy, which Graydon is playing with.

What is interesting about them in this world, though, is that pretty well everything else supernatural can be attributed to 100,000 years of super-powerful magicians loving around around. Like it could easily be the modern world, except magic appears and magicians gently caress everything up, creating demons etc in the process. Whereas entelechs seem to be very much Other. (I guess fire elementals too. Although I wonder whether those also might be the result of past magical fuckery.

All that said, what the gently caress is a tagmat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

All that said, what the gently caress is a tagmat?

”AMOGAS” posted:

“I should like to refute you.” Acraisais salts their tea a second time. “Yet we have accepted precedent for tagmat or coercer talents and controlling influences.”

Tagmats need intelligence; coercers need nerves. Rule don’t need life. It’s creepy, watching the round stones in the river shift as Shadow bid them go.

Coercers can command the nervous system of others; entelechs can command reality. By extension, we can guess that tagmats can control thoughts/intellect.

There’s some extra backing for this assumption in UOB, where Crow tells Eugenia about what the tagmat flavor is for and says “Order’s youth happened in the memory,” Crow says. “In a time when no one trusted that their thoughts were their own thoughts.”

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Right, sort of like how some weeds, demons, and creatures like Eustace have minds but no nervous system. A coercer couldn't affect them, but a tagmat could.

I'm kinda curious what it's an abbreviation of, though. It sounds a bit like tagmentation, but I'm sure it's not related to that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Right, sort of like how some weeds, demons, and creatures like Eustace have minds but no nervous system. A coercer couldn't affect them, but a tagmat could.

I'm kinda curious what it's an abbreviation of, though. It sounds a bit like tagmentation, but I'm sure it's not related to that.

Ordinarily I'd figure out what Greek/Old English/French word it was intended to be, but "tagma" is a term for a Byzantine military grouping which wouldn't seem to work. (It also now carries the meaning of "order" in the sense of a military honor, but wasn't historically, so I can't imagine that's how Graydon intended it to be read, despite the obvious connection to Order the independent.)

So maybe a corruption of something else?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i dunno, "ordering"/"arrangement" for thought control kind of makes sense

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I had thought tagmats were akin to reality warpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Thread has motivated me to start another read through, it's always wild to see what newly makes sense... And what still doesn't. There are turns of phrase in here that leave me scratching my head. A "unique author voice" is the start of the description, but a ways from it's finish.