Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Literally the World Premiere Trailer during Annapurna Showcase 2021 posted:

I'm Ben Esposito. In 2018, I released Donut County, a wholesome game for kids and adults alike. After that, I decided that my next game will not be for kids or adults. It'll be a game for freaks.

Reveal/Gameplay Trailer | Launch Trailer

Neon White is a time-attack FPS game where you can tactically discard guns to do sick platforming tricks. The pistol is a double jump, the SMG is a ground pound, the rifle is a dash. And if you really want to push the boat out, you can even use them to shoot bullets at enemies - seriously; you'll forget sometimes. The game's 100-ish stages are short, sweet, and eminently replayable, once you've got a feel for them, you'll amaze yourself with the moves you'll pull. Knowing when to run, when to shoot and when to discard is key to clearing stages quickly.

(this gif runs at 0.02s/frame which is just a tiny bit slower than 60fps (0.016s/frame) but you get the idea I think)

I cannot stress enough that even if you are not a habitual FPS player, thanks to the combination of the scripted stages and the smooth, responsive controls (which include gyro aiming if you're into that) you will pull astonishing trickshots once you've figured out how it will help you clear a stage faster. On top of that, there's just something about this game that's inspiring; it will have you making runs on the leaderboards long after you've gotten the Ace medal for a stage (you actually have to get the Ace medal before you can even see the leaderboards).

You play as White, a "Neon" - a sinner briefly freed from Hell to hunt demons in Heaven in an annual competition called the Days of Judgement. The prize? A place in Heaven. The problem? White's memories are missing but the other Neons all seem to know him. White must keep atop the scoreboard, try and recover his memories, and, if there's time, come to terms with who he is.

Also, there's obviously something shady going on, but it's probably not important.

I love this game. I expected to simply like it a lot, but it's emerged as a GotY frontrunner for 2022. It's one of only a handful of games to have ever compelled me to actually, properly push for the top of the leaderboards - not that I'll ever hit the Actual Top, but even with my lacking reflexes, sheer dogged persistence has pushed me into the top 100 in most stages (on Switch, anyway). I've even beaten a few of the developer times (which earns you a unique medal). Also, the story and characters, much as they're made out to be played wholly for irony at first, were surprisingly heartfelt in the end. The Neons may be cringe personified, but I love them, and wish them their best lives. Well, afterlives.

Official Site: https://neonwhite.rip
(peep that .rip TLD)

Buy the Game: Steam | Switch
(there's a demo too)

OST by Machine Girl: Disc 1 | Disc 2
(the OST is also available as DLC on Steam and on Apple Music, but, you should buy it on Bandcamp)

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gonna turn this second post into a little repository of little hints and fun facts.

Practice! This should go without saying, but, well, that's what the game is about. You can make a good run at the Ace medals going purely on instinct, but if you want to really push up the boards you're gonna have to run these levels over and over and over again until you see them in your sleep. It'll be up to you to locate new shortcuts and invent new ways to take out enemies from afar. There's plenty of scope for optimising turns and lining up twitchy shots faster, but, all those people who are seconds clear of you? They've figured out something you haven't. Many world record holders will publish videos of their runs, so you can look them up if you want... or commit to the intellectual exercise of puzzling it all out yourself. It's your time.

There are secret medals! If you beat one of the developer times, you'll get a special red Ace medal. The developer times aren't listed in-game, but on the PC version you can see them on the leaderboard under torahhorse. Of course, he might have improved his times since the game came out, but the red medal threshold won't move. The times can be looked up if you're curious, but it's probably a lot more fun to just keep improving until the medal pops and it's a nice surprise.

Don't forget about your sweet Hanzo steel! It might not be as useful as literally any gun, being as how it's a slow swinging melee weapon, but it can break objects without expending bullets you might need for something else, and it can finish enemies in a pinch. Also, low key, just one little thing, it can loving parry projectiles, which will OHKO many demons if you can manage it, which is probably the lynchpin of at least five world records. You get 30 swings per mission, and you'll never drop it even when carrying two guns (although you can't use it if you're holding two guns). You'll probably never exhaust it. If you do, it gets replaced with your fists, which will be useless against demons but can still break objects when needed.

Ammo management tip: Ammo is independent of the number of copies of a card you have, but all ammo is discarded with your last copy of a card. This means that while you can only hold three copies of a card, picking up a fourth still grants you the extra ammo. Also, it means that if you're carrying at least one duplicate, you'll keep all your ammo even when you discard. This is important for reaching some of the hidden gifts, and also for certain shortcuts.

If you play and love and have completed Neon White, you should also play and will also love Velocity 2X, which is a shmup instead of an FPS but absolutely captures the exact same vibes and is also a joy to replay for better times.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 1, 2022

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
100%'d the main game the other day yeah its really slick. I'll eventually come back to do the rush modes, though I think the character sidequests are some of the weakest levels. I was expecting something much shorter, but even without the story parts its incredibly meaty for this type of game. Even still it doesn't overstay its welcome and every new card builds nicely on top of what you've already seen. The final true level, Marathon, is my absolute favorite for being an incredible culmination of every technique you've learned over the whole game.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

This game rules and I'm glad there's finally a thread! Thanks Fedule!

Something I wish I knew when I started: Not only can Katana cards reflect bullets, but they can also detonate smg bombs early! You can probably just shoot the bomb, but it feels cooler which is in spirit of the game.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten speed boosts from killing enemies the moment they start an attack. There seems to be a lot of weird undocumented tech I'm hoping we can unearth.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a really good game and I greatly enjoyed 100%ing it. If there's any justice it will end up on a lot of best of 2022 lists.

My minor complaints are that I'm a bit down on the last world because its gimmick gave me a tinge of motion sickness sometimes, and the constant memes in the dialogue were not to my taste and I expect the tastes of many. 9/10

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This game already owns, and I'm only on the second zone. It feels really satisfying nailing a good run, but I'm hoping I can get to a point where I'll start figuring out the tricks and shortcuts to levels even before hints are available.

I love the characters and writing and the voice acting makes them even better. I lost my poo poo at Neon Yellow seeing all the angels in heaven as John Cena

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dialogue's been pretty hit-or-miss for me - mostly miss, goddamn Violet sucks - but the gameplay here's top notch and said dialogue isn't really impacting that

it is hard to overstate just how much the game makes you want to retry for a better time, long after there's any mechanical rewards for doing so

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

MMF Freeway posted:

100%'d the main game the other day yeah its really slick. I'll eventually come back to do the rush modes, though I think the character sidequests are some of the weakest levels. I was expecting something much shorter, but even without the story parts its incredibly meaty for this type of game. Even still it doesn't overstay its welcome and every new card builds nicely on top of what you've already seen. The final true level, Marathon, is my absolute favorite for being an incredible culmination of every technique you've learned over the whole game.

Marathon was an ordeal and I complained the whole time but I secretly loved it.

Colorspray posted:

This game rules and I'm glad there's finally a thread! Thanks Fedule!

Something I wish I knew when I started: Not only can Katana cards reflect bullets, but they can also detonate smg bombs early! You can probably just shoot the bomb, but it feels cooler which is in spirit of the game.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten speed boosts from killing enemies the moment they start an attack. There seems to be a lot of weird undocumented tech I'm hoping we can unearth.

I knew about the bullet parry but I've not found a good application for it yet. There must be one. I didn't know about detonating bombs early. I imagine you can also shoot them. I've not encountered the speed boosts either.

Thinking about adapting the 2nd post into some collected advice tidbits.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's a really good game and I greatly enjoyed 100%ing it. If there's any justice it will end up on a lot of best of 2022 lists.

My minor complaints are that I'm a bit down on the last world because its gimmick gave me a tinge of motion sickness sometimes, and the constant memes in the dialogue were not to my taste and I expect the tastes of many. 9/10

I'll bet you money the memes are deliberately intended to get that reaction. They're playing a dangerous game with the cringe, but I think they about get away with it.

PunkBoy posted:

This game already owns, and I'm only on the second zone. It feels really satisfying nailing a good run, but I'm hoping I can get to a point where I'll start figuring out the tricks and shortcuts to levels even before hints are available.

I love the characters and writing and the voice acting makes them even better. I lost my poo poo at Neon Yellow seeing all the angels in heaven as John Cena

The game absolutely expects that at some point you'll get into such a groove that you'll get an Ace medal the first time you complete a stage. White even has dialogue for it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I burned through the last couple chapters today - a ways off from 100%, but I'll get there. I had been taking the game slow, trying to get as many presents as possible, but as soon as I got the last soul card I was having such a blast I kept pushing forward.

I think what surprised me most was how much I enjoyed the boss levels. Usually with games with very particular gameplay, stages that are different suck, but i think this was a solid exception.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is incredibly good and also echo that it is a GOTY level game that sorta came out of nowhere. Sonic should take lessons from this game

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This game is incredibly good and also echo that it is a GOTY level game that sorta came out of nowhere. Sonic should take lessons from this game

It’s had a demo out for a while that people really loved, but maybe it wasn’t that well known, ive been aware of the game since it was announced only because I somewhat closely follow everything that Annapurna Interactive publishes.

The game is really good, and I think the Danganronpa style visuals, or specifically having 2D images of characters in a super basic 3D environment is cool and I can’t think of any other games that do this. I was surprised when I found out that it’s by Ben Esposito who’s previous game was Donut County, which is maybe the furthest thing from the style of game that Neon White is

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Fedule posted:

The game absolutely expects that at some point you'll get into such a groove that you'll get an Ace medal the first time you complete a stage. White even has dialogue for it.

Hah, sure enough I just got one right at the start of the 3rd zone.

EDIT: Dammit, Violet I ended up on Idiot Island :(

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 2, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay so here's an actual question.

There's an overall global leaderboard. There's a time listed on it. For me that time is a little over eight minutes. That's far too high to be an average time, and far too low to be a sum of times. What actually is it? What is this leaderboard using as its criteria, exactly?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This game is so good - loving it. Those loving long range sniper shots that you gotta do while in the middle of other jumps are just :discourse:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I just picked this up and immediately lost 3 hours to it, what a blast. I saw someone jokingly call it the best sequel to Super Monkey Ball and...yeah, it kinda feels like that? Not the gameplay obviously but the soundtrack and the vibrant bite sized levels do kind of give it that feel.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really wish you got the rocket launcher sooner so there could be more levels that utilize it, also that there were more levels that required pogoing (i only remember one, and in general rocket tricks seemed slower than just grappling which is kind of a shame) but otherwise the game owns

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Need moar goon times!

Steam friend code: 140345
https://s.team/p/ddgfn/jmhqbkpr

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
finally done with chapter 1

e: does anyone have a better pic of the little Mikey stamp you get with the red medals?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 4, 2022

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This is seriously my GOTY right now. God I love when you run a level for the first time and you're able to figure out everything you need to do on the fly because the mechanics are so well defined. Acing a level on your first run is just :circlefap:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spectracide posted:

Need moar goon times!

Steam friend code: 140345
https://s.team/p/ddgfn/jmhqbkpr

Same, this game is loving amazing and having lots of steam friends on the leaderboard is helpful for both pushing to get better times and also having an idea of what’s possible. The global leaderboard is a bit difficult to navigate for that.

Add me!

https://s.team/p/fcw-kntm/PKBKMQVQ

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I've aced almost all of the levels and I am just now learning about bullet parries wtf

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
finished all the reds today... or so i thought. apparently my brain just skipped over chapter 6 completely. oh well, next week for sure

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Finished the game, definitely one of my favorite games I've played this year. It reminded me a bit of Portal 2 in the sense that I felt like a genius whenever I figured out a puzzle and nailed an Ace medal run.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
h e a v e n i s a t r i c k

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

h e a v e n i s a t r i c k

Yeah I listen to pavement too

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
phew!!

https://twitter.com/countblanc/status/1550620275795968000

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Dear dev ace hunters: Do you look up strats or just bash your head against each mission until you get it?

I only got 4 or so red aces on my playthrough and that’s even with replaying each mission until I was on top of my (admittedly small) friend leaderboard.

I need more people on steam who play this game, add me: https://s.team/p/cvj-hwjr/qjwqgnkp
Code: 31874924

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there are a bunch of routes i wouldnt have found on my own, but others i did. i basically just attempted them until i was bored, or in the case of some of the more complex stages realized i wouldn't realistically figure it out and just looked it up.

that said actually executing many of them is plenty hard anyway so i didnt really feel bad about it. plus i've never really cared about the discovery phase in games like this, same reason watching high level players in other games doesn't bother me, i'm more interested in the execution side of things.