Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Time to clash up against these guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
If we've got enough distance to Clash at range, we should do that. I don't know if our Heavy Cannon is the right tool for CQB, though, so if the drones are sticking too closely to us we might have a bad time. (More of a bad time.)

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I think we should definitely clash using the range of our cannons. I'm not sure if we can use our demo perk, maybe a special flak round of some sort (using a value of 1 or 2 at most). If we manager to get in control again, I think we should try and Take Decisive Action before the battle drags on too long.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's show them why we're packing the heavy guns. Clash at range using our demolitions expertise , charge value 1.

(Although react under fire would be the best move if not penalised, we're an ace, it's where we excel, and if we keep ending up in a bad spot it keeps being our best way out of it.)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Cas is tired of just reacting to these drat combat drones, and fires off a few shots right between the two remaining drones, forcing them to go evasive. She follows through by running her ship right behind her fire, jamming a button labeled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” which dumps a special surprise out the bottom of her ship. The tightly packed core of explosives surrounded by ball bearings sends a clear message to the combat drones when it explodes between them.

Move: Clash +Edge. Explosive Charge 1
5 vs 3 and 5. Weak Hit.
Mark Progress 7/10
Pay the Price

The explosion jars Cas in her seat, and causes the drones to take a few seconds to recalibrate, which draws them further from the Porcupine but they’re still hot on Cas’ tail.

Move: Pay the Price
86 You are stressed

Move: Endure Stress, -1 Spirit
Roll +Spirit
8 vs 1 and 9. Weak Hit
Trade 1 momentum for +1 Sprit

Cas is starting to get angry, she took this job, supposed to be a simple protection job and here she is getting blasted in the void, some rear end in a top hat demanding her surrender. She should be sipping a nice mushroom cocktail down some gravity well somewhere. Suddenly snapping the starfield back into focus, she realizes that the drones aren’t shooting at her anymore, they’ve turned back and are running in on the Porcupine.

OOC We could try to end this now, 7/10 ain’t the worse odds.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Time for Decisive Action

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Yeah, it's absolutely time for decisive action. Finish both these drones with something flashy.

e: We should absolutely try and take control first with React Under Fire. There should be enough time with the drones being distracted for us to dodge into a good spot.

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 13, 2022

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Agree with react under fire into decisive action.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Move: React Under Fire +Edge +Ace
8 vs 8 and 8. Miss with a match!
65: Your vehicle suffers damage

Swinging her ship around to line up and take out the last two drones puts Cas on a steady heading. A steady heading one of the combat drones picks up on, and more shots ring off her hull, these ones striking a lot more true than the last ones.

Move: Withstand Damage -3
Ship Integrity: 2
4 vs 10 and 3. Weak hit. Trade 1 momentum for 1 integrity.
Ship Integrity: 3
Momentum: 6/10

She grits through the hits, carefully lining up her shots on the combat drones. She’s prolonged this fight long enough.

Move: Clash. +Edge
5 vs 3 and 4. Strong hit
Mark Progress Twice: (9/10)
OOC We want to be in control when we Take Decisive Action

She blasts one drone from the sky, and races towards the last drone. The drone has had time to line on a run in on the Porcupine which could spell disaster for the lightly armored ship. Cas edges the throttle past maximum, burning in to take her final shot.

Move: Take Decisive Action
9 vs 1 and 9
Weak hit.
We achieve our objective but at a cost:
Make a -2 suffer move. OOC: The easiest suffer move is losing momentum, but let’s look at our options and decide what makes sense for the story.

Cas’ shots ring out and turn the drone into harmless scrap metal. She comms to the Porcupine “Is everyone ok over there?

OOC This suffer move will be at a -2, options are to Lose Momentum,. Endure Stress, Endure Harm, Companion Takes a Hit, Sacrifice Resources or Withstand Damage. Basically, do we want to lose momentum, health, spirit, have our companion lose something, lose supply, or integrity on our ship.

What makes sense here? Do we have anything snappy to say to the mysterious voice on the comms?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I think the stress of combat coming out of no where makes sense

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Alternatively, we burned through a lot of ammunition while we were spray-and-praying those drones, not to mention the explosives package. It might be that we need to Sacrifice Resources to keep ourselves in fighting shape after that.

Regarding the voice on the comms: is there any chance we can follow up our victory over the drones by challenging the voice? If we needle them a little, they might accidentally reveal more information than they intend.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
This was supposed to be a milk run, but they knew who we are, where we're going and what we're protecting. Someone has stolen a march on us. Lose Momentum.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I'm thinking either we endure stress or sacrifice resources we did use a lot of ammo and it was pretty stressful. Either of those make sense to me.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

After taking a second to breathe, Cas remembers that she had placed the shadowy figure on hold, so to speak. Cas looks down and opens the frequency, “Your drones are gone, my friend you’re going to try harder than that to kill me!”

Move: Face danger. +Heart
7 vs 9 and 6. Weak hit
Success but make a suffer move -1

The figure is hard to make out, still being cloaked in static but Cas can tell when someone pounds their console with their fist in frustration. Before the transmission cuts out Cas hears, “gently caress! Fine just kill her when she gets-” and the noise and image are gone.

Move: Endure Stress -3 Spirit
OOC I’m just combining the two suffer moves
Roll +Spirit
7 vs 8 and 2. Weak Hit.
Press On

OOC I think I kinda messed up and tracked progress on the defend the Porcupine vow instead of a combat tracker but I think that’s ok and I’m going to roll with it.

Move: Reach a Milestone
Overcoming a critical obstacle
Mark progress on background vow

The rest of the trip to Pyre is almost boring by comparison. Slowly the red dot grows bigger, lava lines, volcanos, and clouds of pyroclastic ash visible from orbit. Corvus landing control takes the Porcupine without issue and Cas lands at a smaller pad nearby.

A comm from the Porcupine lets Cas know that they took some minor damage during the fight, mostly just some ablative hull plating, but they’re going to stay on Corvus for a few days and get it fixed, checked out. They transfer the payment for the job, with their gratitude, and consider the matter closed.

All dressed up, and nowhere to go...What is Corvus like? We know it has an oppressive authority in charge, there are people numbering in the thousands and they focus on salvage and mining but what does that mean as we look around the port?

Character Sheet
Name: Cascarria
Callsign: Behemoth
Pronouns: She/Her

Momentum: +6/10

Edge 3
Heart 2
Iron 1
Shadow 1
Wits 2

Health +5
Spirit +2
Supply +5

Conditions

Trackers
Background Vow: “I vow to destroy, explosively, the Privateer-Cruiser Indefagitable.” (.25/10)
Vow: “I vow to protect the Hillbilly Porcupine on its trip.” (9/10) Completed
Legacy Tracks
Quests (1/10)
Bonds (0/10)
Discoveries (0/10)

Assets

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Is someone threatening our life upon landing so common we're not try to leave ASAP?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Corvus is ruled by an oppressive authority, but at the docks, the main thing you'll run into, at least with a small ship like Cass has, is hawkers trying to sell their salvage. Some of it good, some of it useless, some of it dangerous.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
When you've got an oppressive authority and an open port, as well as sources of value (say, from salvage or mining), you've got people who want to leave. Up front lump sums for any ticket out of here with someone willing to oath safe passage or at least safe arrival.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

And be on the lookout for small but pricey minerals we can take and sell at our next destination, once we figure out where that is

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OOC I have asked the oracle for four prompts to help us here.

Art, Frozen, Defend, Debt

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

To me, Debt suggests Corvus is a place where the oppressive authority's shackles are partially financial in nature. This is a rough planet, and while the atmosphere may technically be breathable, substantial environmental support is required to sustain anything more than a very marginal existence. I think the moment you set foot on Pyre's surface, you begin accruing environmental systems fees: very reasonable fees, from the point of view of the Corvus Environmental Support Board, but then they would think that. For a brief visit, the port fees cover all or most of the cost: wouldn't want to overly burden the merchants and freighters who sustain the economy, after all. Lifers and long-haulers, though, build up a staggering mountain of debt, binding them to the planet and the vain hope that they'll ever salvage or mine something valuable enough to pay it all off. There's probably a thriving black market for folks looking to smuggle not only goods but people-- even themselves-- past Customs and Rectification. For most, a ride in the concealed hold of a smuggler's ship might be the only chance they ever have to see the stars above the oppressive, choking black clouds of Pyre. Our contact, Ostara Jensen, is a smuggler; he might have dabbled in this line of work, and it might have caused him some trouble.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Art is one of the few permitted outlets for originality under the regime, recycling the salvage which has no other value by imparting an aesthetic one. Sculpture, collages, mosaics and similar three dimensional art forms are at the forefront of the local artistic scene, with artists trying to obtain patronage to wipe out their debts and get out of here.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

This station is not only a mine, but a prison as well. Much of the labor is leased out from the prison for 1/10th the cost of an actual miner. Sure there are more accidents and less thruput with forced prison labor, but there are always more prisoners getting shipped in and frozen bodies that are shipped out? Well, they can sell those too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Corvus, the settlement itself, at least, would be hard to differentiate from any other mass-fabbed human settlement. Even its placement, nestled up against the wall of a long-dormant volcano, flanked by rivers of slow-moving lava, wouldn't be out of place on a dozen other such active worlds in the Forge. What sets Corvus apart is that despite being a settlement ruled by a few powerful individuals behind a thinly veiled ‘board’ there is a thriving sense of place. This sense of place primarily comes from the art create from scrap, salvage, and mining detritus and to whose who see it as art and not trash, it rivals anything in an expensive Hub-world gallery.

Cas walks by monochrome ash-paintings of tropical islands and reefs full of fish. She passes two large metal art pieces that seem to wander the square on their own when wind hits them in just the right direction. Among the art is also ingenuity, ventilator and atmosphere generators disguised as art to get around the board credit system. Cas sees the signs of a thriving black market, workable by those who are ‘in the game’ so to speak.

She also sees the pitiless expressions of those trapped by the system, those too poor, too stupid, or maybe even too smart to play the systme who get sucked up by it. They’ll work for anything to try and get a ride off world, not knowing that without some resource, some skills, the next place is just a different kind of bad.

Cas doesn’t want to spend too much time here, but she does want to check in with Ostara, her contact here. She makes her way to his usual hideout, across the square with the wind-walkers and down a small flight of stairs supposed to be a laundry of some kind. A locked, employee only door sits to the left of a small deposit box below a pane of las-proof transparent plastic. There is usually a drone to accept payment along with dirty linens, or to go fetch clean laundry. The sign shows open, but the window is empty.

Cas waits a few moments before hearing the sound of a chair being knocked over. At first she assumes it is someone coming to the window, maybe the drone is down for repairs and someone has to manually take payments, who knows. But, after thinking for a few moments the chair thud was too meaty, too weighty, like the sound a chair makes when someone is tied into it and kicked over. There is no scrabbling of a person getting right back up, having tipped themselves over leaning too far, only the slow sound of a chair being hefted back upright and then knocked down again. This time, with a more audible “oof’ exhalation of hair following the meat on meat sound of a punch or kick.

OOC Awesome worldbuilding, I mashed the ideas together best I could. But, tell me if I'm wrong, this game has a move to straight up reframe or change facts if players want something done differently. For example, folks feel strongly that this cover business should be a bar because you have an better reason for our contact to be being knocked around, we can change it. Or suddenly the idea of a dictator makes more sense than a board, we can change that too.