Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hi, I bought this at Habitat for $15. They said it was from a recumbent that had been donated, but they didn't know where the rest of it was. I will spare you the effort, it is upside-down, sort of, and those flat metal bits have a derailleur hanger on them, you can see it projecting out above the freewheel in the 2nd pic. With this, I can essentially remove the wheel from virtually any bike frame, perhaps lengthen the chain, and use this device to transfer all the kinetic energy to one or two rotating axles.

But what can it do from there? My first thought is to use that energy to pressurize an air tank and use that to power a handful of air tools. Is there such a pump? And just glancing at ebay I'm seeing what appear to be air pumps that are powered by belts, like this:

Is this what I should be looking at in this regard?

Ideas? Help? Another, simpler idea is to get a large grinder wheel and simply mount it on one of the axle ends. I'm just thinking this can and should have a cool, novel use. Like this could power an ice cream maker bigtime, but I wonder what else.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU