Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is going #1 overall?
Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
Shane Wright, C
Logan Cooley, C
David Jiricek, D
The Field
View Results

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Porrima posted:

What are some examples people consider to be most succesful single draft years for a team?

Preferably in the sense of getting the most value out of --as many as possible of-- their own picks, not just picking one superstar player - even if those might be more useful than 7 good picks from another team in the same year.
Oilers 1979 had Messier, Lowe, and Anderson. 1980 they picked Kurri, Coffey, and Andy Moog. Either of those are pretty drat good and represent a big chunk of the 80s core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If we're talking cap era, Colorado had that one draft where they grabbed Duchene, O'Reilly and Barrie which is pretty nuts

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Porrima posted:

What are some examples people consider to be most succesful single draft years for a team?

Preferably in the sense of getting the most value out of --as many as possible of-- their own picks, not just picking one superstar player - even if those might be more useful than 7 good picks from another team in the same year.
The Red wings 1989 draft is commonly considered to be one of, if not the greatest drafts ever.

11th- Mike Sillinger
32nd- Bob Boughner
53rd- Nick Lidstrom
74th- Sergei Fedorov
116th- Dallas Drake
221st- Konstantinov

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Thanks.

I know picks past first 20 aren't that valuable and most draftees end up in AHL at most, but it was still surprising that best drafts for many teams consist of two useful players in a year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Habs drafting McDonough, Paccioretty, and Subban in 2007 with their first three picks was great. Then they traded McDonough for Scott Gomez.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Porrima posted:

Thanks.

I know picks past first 20 aren't that valuable and most draftees end up in AHL at most, but it was still surprising that best drafts for many teams consist of two useful players in a year.

Ya the Oilers best draft post cap is 2015. Beyond the obvious McDavid, they snagged C. Jones, Bear and John Marino which is a pretty great haul for one draft.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I went looking for the worst draft in the cap era. My criteria heading into this is a team that had no one from a drafted year ever play in the NHL. Also, they needed to have a first-round pick. I also ignored any draft in the past 4-5 seasons, because it's still too early.

In 2006, with 8 draft picks, the Calgary Flames managed to only get Leland Irving who played 13 NHL games.

In the same year, the Lightning had 4 picks, and managed to draft two players to combine for 7 games.

Interesting about 2006 was the Lightning and Flames both used their first-round pick on a goalie. The other two goalie picks in the first-round? Bernier and Varlamov.

The 2008 Montreal Canadiens are the only team I found with no picks that made the NHL, but their highest was the 56th overall pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In 2007 the Canucks had 6 picks including 25th and 33rd overall and managed a grand total of zero NHL games from it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I went looking for the worst draft in the cap era. My criteria heading into this is a team that had no one from a drafted year ever play in the NHL. Also, they needed to have a first-round pick. I also ignored any draft in the past 4-5 seasons, because it's still too early.

In 2006, with 8 draft picks, the Calgary Flames managed to only get Leland Irving who played 13 NHL games.

In the same year, the Lightning had 4 picks, and managed to draft two players to combine for 7 games.

Interesting about 2006 was the Lightning and Flames both used their first-round pick on a goalie. The other two goalie picks in the first-round? Bernier and Varlamov.

The 2008 Montreal Canadiens are the only team I found with no picks that made the NHL, but their highest was the 56th overall pick.

Honestly a good chunk of Calgary 's drafts in the 90s would qualify

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

In 2007 the Canucks had 6 picks including 25th and 33rd overall and managed a grand total of zero NHL games from it.

I quickly scanned each team’s draft picks, so I may have missed something like this. I am impressed by how they managed to do that!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Honestly a good chunk of Calgary 's drafts in the 90s would qualify

I just looked, and yeesh.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Penguins drafting has been a mess for almost a decade now, imo

Too early to say for sure but every single one of the players drafted by Ottawa last year had an abysmal d+1 season, and they followed that up by drafting a bunch of big dudes way before they were scheduled to be drafted again this year

You’d think after giving up assets for a 5’7 40-goal scorer there would be a change in drafting strategy but nah

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Penguins drafting has been a mess for almost a decade now, imo

Harsh truth. from 2016-present our draft picks have played a combined total of 53 NHL games.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Schremp Howard posted:

The Habs drafting McDonough, Paccioretty, and Subban in 2007 with their first three picks was great. Then they traded McDonough for Scott Gomez.

Yannick Weber was in that draft too. Not a superstar by any means, but managed to stick in the NHL for 10+ years.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Porrima posted:

The draft that everyone is talking about for the Stars lately is the 2017 draft, where they ended up with 3 franchise player level talents in Miro Heiskanen, Jason Robertson and Jake Oettinger (who are now basically the core of their team) as well as Jacob Peterson who has the look of a solid depth player but probably won't be around for more than a few years.

There's been quite a few drafts where the Stars ended up with 3 or 4 guys who played all played a few seasons or more in the NHL, but none of those groupings were players that were as impactful as these three look to be.

That being said, the 2021 draft class may actually eclipse 2017 for the Stars, although it's obviously too early to tell. The Stars ended up taking 10 players that year and the team has very high hopes for a number of them. Wyatt Johnston (who lead the CHL in scoring by a mile and won every single award the OHL has to give out) and Logan Stankoven (who lead the WHL is scoring on a per game basis and won CHL player of the year) are the two highlights of the class, and it's safe to say that the Stars haven't drafted anyone who has put up that kind of production in the junior leagues probably since Jarome Iginla lol. Very strange for Dallas fans to actually be excited about their prospect system.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 9, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read the linked article, didn't realize Alfie was a sixth round pick. I wonder if there's a reverse bias for the HOF, where guys who go late but end up "proving it" get more consideration.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I read the linked article, didn't realize Alfie was a sixth round pick. I wonder if there's a reverse bias for the HOF, where guys who go late but end up "proving it" get more consideration.
A quick look at who else has gotten in the Hockey Hall of Fame would suggest no, not really.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

A quick look at who else has gotten in the Hockey Hall of Fame would suggest no, not really.

This made me curious so I just checked. From 1963 to 2000, 12 out 38 (projecting Jumbo Joe) of the 1st overall picks are in the Hall. 32%

Now projecting for the current active crop, 2001-2020 (excluding Power and Slafkovsky), I'd say at least 8 out of those 20 are relatively easy to project as locks which puts us at 40%.
Keep in mind that percentage could go higher if guys like Kovalchuk and Nash get in on the strength of Richards and international prowess. Tavares if he cracks 1000... Hall if they don't want to break precedence of Hart trophy winners getting in.

All that to say not much... except I guess the certainty of relative success of first overall picks is much better than it used to be.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Here's a rough breakdown of #1s since Modano.

2005 Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby Cup + HOF
2004 Washington Capitals Alexander Ovechkin Cup + HOF
2007 Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane Cup + HOF
2008 Tampa Bay Lightning Steven Stamkos Cup + HOF
1988 Minnesota North Stars Mike Modano Cup + HOF
2013 Colorado Avalanche Nathan MacKinnon Cup + HOF
2003 Pittsburgh Penguins Marc-Andre Fleury Cup + HOF

2015 Edmonton Oilers Connor McDavid HOF (?)
2016 Toronto Maple Leafs Auston Matthews HOF (?)
1997 Boston Bruins Joe Thornton HOF
1989 Quebec Nordiques Mats Sundin HOF
1991 Quebec Nordiques Eric Lindros HOF

1998 Tampa Bay Lightning Vincent Lecavalier Cup + All-Star

2001 Atlanta Thrashers Ilya Kovalchuk All-Star
2002 Columbus Blue Jackets Rick Nash All-Star
2009 New York Islanders John Tavares All-Star (?)
2010 Edmonton Oilers Taylor Hall All-Star
1990 Quebec Nordiques Owen Nolan All-Star

2017 New Jersey Devils Nico Hischier Too young to know
2018 Buffalo Sabres Rasmus Dahlin Too young to know
2019 New Jersey Devils Jack Hughes Too young to know
2020 New York Rangers Alexis Lafrenière Too young to know
2021 Buffalo Sabres Owen Power Too young to know
2022 Montreal Canadiens Juraj Slafkovsky Too young to know

2011 Edmonton Oilers Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Solid
2014 Florida Panthers Aaron Ekblad Solid
1996 Ottawa Senators Chris Phillips Solid
1994 Florida Panthers Ed Jovanovski Solid
2006 St. Louis Blues Erik Johnson Solid
1992 Tampa Bay Lightning Roman Hamrlik Solid
1995 Ottawa Senators Bryan Berard Solid

1993 Ottawa Senators Alexandre Daigle
1999 Atlanta Thrashers Patrik Stefan
2000 New York Islanders Rick DiPietro
2012 Edmonton Oilers Nail Yakupov

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Roman Hamrlik was a #1 pick? Jesus.

That 92 draft class doesn't look very good...

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yakupov should get into the hall of Fame for that one goal that he went sliding across the ice to celebrate and that made his french Canadian team mate who was wearing a silk scarf mad

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This made me curious so I just checked. From 1963 to 2000, 12 out 38 (projecting Jumbo Joe) of the 1st overall picks are in the Hall. 32%

Now projecting for the current active crop, 2001-2020 (excluding Power and Slafkovsky), I'd say at least 8 out of those 20 are relatively easy to project as locks which puts us at 40%.
Keep in mind that percentage could go higher if guys like Kovalchuk and Nash get in on the strength of Richards and international prowess. Tavares if he cracks 1000... Hall if they don't want to break precedence of Hart trophy winners getting in.

All that to say not much... except I guess the certainty of relative success of first overall picks is much better than it used to be.

Not every Hart winner is in the HOF :confused: ?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I quickly scanned each team’s draft picks, so I may have missed something like this. I am impressed by how they managed to do that!

Not only did they manage 0 NHL games, those guys reached a combined 89 AHL games. None of them played a full season at the AHL level. Their first round pick (Patrick White) was traded to San Jose just so they could make no attempt to resign him and get a compensatory 2nd round pick.

In 2010 the Canucks had no selections until the 4th and managed 1 NHL game (from Alex Friesen playing for St. Louis) from five selections.

In 2016 the Canucks had six picks including 5th overall and they've played a combined 56 games. Juolevi will probably go back to Europe this summer and Lockwood might get a spot as the Canuck's 14th forward this year.

In 2020 the Canucks didn't have any picks until the 3rd round but none of their 5 selections from that season are expected to be signed just two years later.

In 2021 the Canucks had six picks with their first in the 2nd round. It's very early but aside from Danila Klimovich taken 41st overall, the remaining 5 selections are not expected to be signed just one year later.

The Canucks rule.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

stab posted:

Not every Hart winner is in the HOF :confused: ?
Jose Theodore isn't and is very unlikely to be inducted. If you go back to the 50's then Al Rollins is also not in.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

In 2020 the Canucks didn't have any picks until the 3rd round but none of their 5 selections from that season are expected to be signed just two years later.

In 2021 the Canucks had six picks with their first in the 2nd round. It's very early but aside from Danila Klimovich taken 41st overall, the remaining 5 selections are not expected to be signed just one year later.

Lmao that's wild

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We got six years of OEL from it so who's to say if it was bad?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It seems normal for Cup contenders to trade away their top picks, though?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

We got six years of OEL from it so who's to say if it was bad?

Those bubble playoff “runs” Chicago and Vancouver went on in 2020 were kind of costly in hindsight. Made Bowman & Benning think their teams were contenders, and then both traded big time assets for an expensive, declining defenseman who will anchor them for years to come

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the Rangers in 99 drafted Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark in the top 10, then had 9 more picks and 0 played NHL games.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

klimovich was a frequent scratch in the ahl. he's a longshot too

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya the Oilers best draft post cap is 2015. Beyond the obvious McDavid, they snagged C. Jones, Bear and John Marino which is a pretty great haul for one draft.

I'm not sure I would count that one because none of those three players are playing for us anymore. You also cannot mention the 2015 draft for the Oilers without bringing up the Griffin Reinhart trade where our other first-round pick became Matt Barzal. Good draft on paper but, yeah...

But, doesn't matter, McDavid.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yakupov should get into the hall of Fame for that one goal that he went sliding across the ice to celebrate and that made his french Canadian team mate who was wearing a silk scarf mad

Every Oilers discussion group I have ever been a part of has that ONE person who will defend Yakupov usually saying "he can turn it around!" despite it now being a decade since his draft year and washing out of two other organizations after we traded him. I got into a really nasty argument (more of verbal abuse via DMs) on Reddit with one after pointing all that out.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

klimovich was a frequent scratch in the ahl. he's a longshot too

He was at least signed though. With regards to his development, he was an 18 year old in the AHL and stayed in the lineup most of the year. He's not likely to be anyone of consequence at the NHL level, but he's trending as well as can be expected given his draft position. He'll be back in the AHL this coming season and where he goes from there is anyone's guess. He's certainly not trending to be a bust quite yet. I still have no idea why they didn't send him to the QMJHL though.