Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Problem description: I’ve had the computer for about 4.5 years, and built it originally with all new parts. Last night it was working fine and as normal, but when I woke up it was totally off. Tried to turn the front power button on and nothing. No noises can be heard, and no fans are moving at all. The only things that light up, or do anything at all, are in this video: https://youtube.com/shorts/KwNiPxgCwSw?feature=share

What happens in that video is when I turn the PSU switch on, rather than the front power button. Nothing more happens when I hit the front power button.

Attempted fixes: Replaced the PSU with a brand new one I had laying around, replaced all old cords and used new ones that came with new PSU. Still have the same issue. Did my PSU fail and cause a short in the mobo possibly?

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? No

--

Operating system: Windows 10, 32-bit I believe

System specs: EVGA 1080 Ti GPU; i7-8700k CPU; 48gb of DDR4; Aorus 7 z370 mobo; previously had a EVGA Platinum 1000w PSU — new one I put in after this happened is a Corsair Gold 1000w.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd disconnect any non-essential peripherals (and disconnect the GPU) and try using onboard video and see if it boots.

If it doesn't then try using only one stick of RAM (and swap them out one at a time).

If it still doesn't boot then try bridging the power pins on the motherboard using a key or paperclip. That would eliminate that case power button as being an issue.

MarksMan posted:

Did my PSU fail and cause a short in the mobo possibly?

Yes, if none of the above steps work then it's a decent bet that the PSU damaged the hardware.

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
Adding to what Zogo said: You can also try jumping your PSU pins, forcing it to start up with no PC components connected to it. If it's a standard PSU, where the fans always spin irregardless of load or temperature then all you need to watch for is whether the fan on it spins or not.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit