Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
I’ve never been to rural Canada but I live in Los Angeles and I suspect it’s pretty similar. AMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I’ve never been to rural Canada but I live in Los Angeles and I suspect it’s pretty similar. AMA.

Where do the homeless sleep?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

large hands posted:

lots of people moving to Powell River now even though the mill closed because real estate prices are so insane everywhere else remotely close to civilisation

I’m still on a couple Facebook groups and the locals are not happy about any of it lol

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Zeluth posted:

I would assume homeless folk in rural Canada sleep in their flannel shirts under the plentiful Canadian palm trees.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

why do you continually post threads that only a braindead person would post OP?

?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wanna know more about the guy who became a perfo

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
keep in mind how big the distances between things are in canada, it'd take longer to drive to that town from toronto than to south carolina

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I found out Dog River wasn’t a real town and I abandoned all my rural Saskatchewan dreams.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Stink Billyums posted:

keep in mind how big the distances between things are in canada, it'd take longer to drive to that town from toronto than to south carolina

I have a high school friend who teaches english up in far far northern ontario and the trip to get there from toronto takes three days and involves a seaplane

Zeluth posted:

I would assume the same place LA homeless sleep, affordable government igloos

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i lived in sudbury for about 10 years when i was a kid, it was an extremely forgettable experience

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

unless your preferences differ wildly from the average person's, you can pretty much tell how good or bad a region will be to live in based on how expensive it is. this may break down a little at the extreme high end where things like social status are more of factor than the living experience. but otherwise, prices are largely determined by how many people want to live there and compete to buy property.

if you happen to enjoy living out in the bumpkins with nature and very little convenience, then you won life's housing cost lottery. and if you hate living anywhere that isn't a dense urban walkable space with culture, art, character, and stuff going on every day around the clock, that's some bad luck unless you got a stem degree or a rich family.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Handen posted:

I lived in Fort McMurray for a summer. My aunt took me on a nature walk near a lake in the mist and it was the closest thing I’ve ever experienced to being on another planet. The trees were only chest high and the ground was covered in multicoloured mushrooms and bog cranberries. But that was 18 years ago, it’s probably an open pit tailings pond by now.

Ft McMurray in particular is like a crucible, that 3 types of people deal with. First, you get people who move there to "get away from it all" and give up the rate race, and then move back to civilization within a year because the rat-race is infinitely preferable to whatever the gently caress is going on in Ft. McMurray. Then you get the same types, but who stay and do actually make a living out of it. These are the rarest group, maybe 5% of people there. The rest are heavy industry workers who think Fubar was a non-fiction documentary and are counting the days until their death by alcohol poisoning.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
fort mcmurray shouldn't exist.

I'm still not convinced the fire wasn't deliberate by an unemployed overextended mid 40s oil field worker with nothing to lose to cash out an insurance policy before his house got repossessed when the oil industry crashed

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Someone I went to high school with just moved to Thunder bay this year and she posted an Instagram story of it snowing in like loving June.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's OK, unless you're native or gay or don't own an F150.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stink Billyums posted:

what town. we're tlaking about a lot of towns!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does manitoba still drive natives out to the middle of nowhere and leave them on the highway or is that just saskatchewan

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Vakal posted:

You can buy a two story house for under 50K

have fun maintaining it tho

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Top idea OP, go live somewhere in the frozen north with only a few dozen neighbors, few and expensive stores, no good places to eat, no shows, no jobs, and lovely internet. Enjoy your wonderful new life, genius.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When I was up in the bruce there was a guy who lost his license for driving drunk across the big tourist beach and getting stuck in the sand

So whenever he was too drunk to make it home he'd just find a cottage where people were partying and start throwing punches until the police came to pick him up

They made a show based on that area called Letterkenny

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I lived in Rouyn-Noranda in my youth, then Montreal for 14 years and I'm going back home this month. Bought a huge house for the price of a 1-bedroom condo in Montreal.

Apart from the mining pollution, it's a great place to live. Endless nature and lakes, lots of festivals. No traffic. Amazing death metal scene. Fast internet. Winter is cold but the air is always dry, so dress up, buy a snowmobile and you barely notice it. + when the climate wars come we'll all be laughing.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 12, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i lived in sudbury for about 10 years when i was a kid, it was an extremely forgettable experience

I mean, I grew up in North Bay and people went to Sudbury to shop, so stop bragging about your cosmopolitan upbringing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rural Alberta would suck for goons. Your high-school social group is also your only social group so you would end up getting increasingly isolated and paranoid until you turn some Mayerthorpe RCMP into statues.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Under the bridge downtown.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They're really quite beautiful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've stayed with my friend in Nelson BC for a bit. It's technically pretty close to the US all things considered but to me it didn't seem to matter, it's still bumfuck Idaho/Montana across the border and very far from any actual civilization. That said, the friend used to live in Dawson Creek before and I can't begin to imagine that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

One of my aunts moved her family to Inuvik for a few years, but it was too slow, so they moved to the bustling metropolis of Yellowknife after.