Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
In a recent chat with NME about her new movie, it semi confirmed that Jenna Coleman has either filmed or will be filming stuff for S2. Not that it comes as a shock if you know Johanna Constantine from the Sandman comics and her arc, but it's nice to have it confirmed that her stuff from Thermidor is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

https://x.com/SandmanNews/status/1758788198380044395?s=20

More set photos are leaking and it seriously looks like Midsummer Night's Dream is a part of the next season/whatever Netflix settles on calling it and in LIVE ACTION. I had assumed if they did Midsummer, it would be animated like Dream of a Thousand Cats since it's filled with fanciful creatures and such, but hey, happy to be wrong here)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

https://x.com/SandmanNews/status/1758788198380044395?s=20

More set photos are leaking and it seriously looks like Midsummer Night's Dream is a part of the next season/whatever Netflix settles on calling it and in LIVE ACTION. I had assumed if they did Midsummer, it would be animated like Dream of a Thousand Cats since it's filled with fanciful creatures and such, but hey, happy to be wrong here)

I wouldn't put it past them to do a blended episode for it. Bookend the episode with live action scenes to frame the story, switch to pure animation when the faeries start coming out.

Probably just standard live action + CGI though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

I wouldn't put it past them to do a blended episode for it. Bookend the episode with live action scenes to frame the story, switch to pure animation when the faeries start coming out.

Probably just standard live action + CGI though.

I was thinking that they could go (the most boring) route of having the fairies basically all be humans with pointy ears, since most of the fairies in the comics are that, but I'd miss the more colorful characters specific to that story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I was thinking that they could go (the most boring) route of having the fairies basically all be humans with pointy ears, since most of the fairies in the comics are that, but I'd miss the more colorful characters specific to that story.

It'd also look a bit crap when the human actors are playing the faeries in the audience if said faeries look like the actors. Heck, one of the big things in the story is when the troupe see the faeries and are shocked until Shakespeare says "they're the audience, we play".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

You should never underestimate a TV production's capacity to cheap out, but I'd still be surprised if they skipped doing the more monstrous faeries. They're very CGI friendly since they don't really need to interact with anything (outside of Puck, who they could probably use a live actor for in a pinch), they just sit there in the dark and comment on the play. Easy setup to get some high impact CGI shots of cool wondrous creatures without a lot of fuss.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

They should go fully recursive and have the faeries be facial mo-capped off the actors who are playing the actors that play the faeries.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've been wondering when is next part of The Sandman Audiobook dropping; imagine the writers/actors strike delayed it

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I think I saw Gaiman post about it on Tumblr relatively recently, it's probably dropping this year.

I'm curious if it's going to just go through the Wake or if they're going to adapt a few of the other related stories, like Overture or Endless Nights.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

I think I saw Gaiman post about it on Tumblr relatively recently, it's probably dropping this year.

I'm curious if it's going to just go through the Wake or if they're going to adapt a few of the other related stories, like Overture or Endless Nights.

Gaiman's mentioned gearing up to record his narration for Act V, implying two more releases than the three already out. So going off that my vibe is yeah, they'll be adapting pretty much everything -- assuming they maintain the current pace.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah that's my feeling too; I need to relisten to them; it's so good and amazing what sound effects/score do to make you visualize it. All the roles are perfect except Kevin Smith as Merv don't know how he got it.

Like the Song of Orpheus hits so hard.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 22, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, they're very well done. I listen to a lot of radio plays and these are particularly well produced.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that's my feeling too; I need to relisten to them; it's so good and amazing what sound effects/score do to make you visualize it. All the roles are perfect except Kevin Smith as Merv don't know how he got it.

Like the Song of Orpheus hits so hard.

I think Kevin Smith is just a product of him being good friends with Neil Gaiman.

The Brief Lives segment of the audiobook is incredible. Kristen Schall is SO GOOD as Delirium.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, they're very well done. I listen to a lot of radio plays and these are particularly well produced.

I've been listening through the first release over the weekend,and yeah, it's really very good. They feel slightly over-narrated though, especially in the trippier dream sequences. Describing how Dr Dee dreams about the three muses who all then grow helmets and then turn into the Brides of Frankenstein doesn't really work for me. I think they should have had a bit more faith in the dialogue to carry the story.

The cast is mostly excellent - and I love how they gave the three Hecatae wildly different accents, welsh, american-ish, and an exuberant Jamaican. Owns so much. And the guy from Gavin & Stacy as Hob Gadling knocks it out the park.

Kat Dennings is loving awful as Death though. I dunno if it was direction or if she just didnt get the hang of audio performances, but she's rattling through the lines in a constant hurry, is abrasively chirpy, and it's just unpleasant to listen to. Just the worst possible MPDG interpreation of Death, and I'm so glad the show went for a more subdued version.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 25, 2024

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kat Dennings is loving awful as Death though. I dunno if it was direction or if she just didnt get the hang of audio performances, but she's rattling through the lines in a constant hurry, is abrasively chirpy, and it's just unpleasant to listen to. Just the worst possible MPDG interpreation of Death, and I'm so glad the show went for a more subdued version.

Kat Dennings often sounds a bit too grumpy to me when I listen. Death's annoyance at Dream feels more aggressive than it ever did in the comics, and I really didn't like her conversation with Element Girl in Facade for the same reason.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And the guy from Gavin & Stacy as Hob Gadling knocks it out the park.

Sir Ben Kingsley's son, no less.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Collateral posted:

Sir Ben Kingsley's son, no less.

Different Hob Gadling. Show version is Kingsley's kid, audiobook version is the dude from Gavin & Stacy. Both are great though.

(and it took me most of Matthew Horne's wikipedia article to realise I should have checked the other dudes too)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So this is kind of Sandman News, I guess.

Netflix is dropping a new show called Dead Boy Detectives on April 25th, which for those not as into the comics is based on a Sandman spinoff series after the characters were introduced in Season of Mists. The show was originally produced for HBO Max but when they restructured DC Films/TV, it didn't fit with the plans for the new DC Universe, so it was handed to Netflix, who are folding it into the "Sandman Universe"

Of note for Sandman show fans is that Neil Gaiman has said that once Netflix took over they did some resshoots so one of the Endless from the Sandman show will appear. Now Death makes the most since she is pretty important in the story of the Dead Boys (and there is a shot of Death's wings in the trailer for the show), but the way Neil worded it seems more ambiguous on purpose, so perhaps we'll see Dream or Desire or something. Probably Death though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bGICMgXEn0

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I wonder if they'll keep the boys' origin story and this'll be a little sneak preview to the show's version of Season of Mists.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Wait, they were introduced in Doom Patrol, weren't they? Feels like ages ago.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Malpais Legate posted:

I wonder if they'll keep the boys' origin story and this'll be a little sneak preview to the show's version of Season of Mists.

When they first announced the show at HBO I was certain the Sandman would ditch the story from Season of Mists. Now I am not so sure, so it'll be interesting to see.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Joe Chill posted:

Wait, they were introduced in Doom Patrol, weren't they? Feels like ages ago.

They've got different actors playing them for this series and presumably the two shows are not in continuity with one another (much as I might enjoy a loosely-connected Vertigo-verse).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

They've got different actors playing them for this series and presumably the two shows are not in continuity with one another (much as I might enjoy a loosely-connected Vertigo-verse).

Yeah I think the original idea was their appearance in Doom Patrol would be a direct spin off but at some point they recast and decided not to directly connect to Doom Patrol (and then it got sent off to Netflix so that put the final nail in that coffin)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ruth Connell survived the recasting process, but that's it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwJmZ2Ekfbc

Spoiler, although I think it was expected: Kirby Howell-Baptiste is indeed appearing as Death

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm just perplexed that it's happening before the Sandman story has... Y'know, reached that part.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Samovar posted:

I'm just perplexed that it's happening before the Sandman story has... Y'know, reached that part.

That's primarily because this went into production for HBO before Netflix greenlit S2 of Sandman, and they were not originally intended to connect. Before Netflix acquired it, I assumed they'd do something different in Season of Mists (maybe focusing on what was making Death so busy she left the boys alone) but now that they are connected, they might flashback and include the actors from this series in that story after all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Samovar posted:

Rise from the dead, thread.

Finishing this up. Not really all that impressed and if I wasn't a Gaiman fanboy I'd stop watching it. So much potential for neat Easter Eggs that's wasted (though as I'm typing this Despair shows up....in Hell for whatever reason

It's honestly annoying to me that Kirby has a cameo because it's definitely taken some pretty huge liberties with the source material and is a pretty typical YA supernatural show.

It's just super tropey writing, can't count the number of times I spoke out loud the next line because it was so predictable.

It's not really BAD per se, just average and not bringing anything new to the table.

Edit - The whole reason I quoted this reply is to say that they pretty much ignore the Season of Mists explanation as to why Edwin left Hell, instead it's just that he figured out a way to escape.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 28, 2024

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Any chance someone could PM me what the reason is for Edwin to have left Hell from the writing? I'm no sure it's kosher here in the thread and I don't want to poo poo it up with a ton of black bars.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Pan Dulce posted:

Any chance someone could PM me what the reason is for Edwin to have left Hell from the writing? I'm no sure it's kosher here in the thread and I don't want to poo poo it up with a ton of black bars.

I messaged you the tl;dr version, it's spoilers about what is (probably) happening in the upcoming season of Sandman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am not surprised this show steered clear of most of the Season of Mists stuff since it was written to be an entirely separate continuity. The only writing changes made after the show switched from Max to Netflix were the Death and Despair cameos, both of which were written by Gaiman himself.

Just bummed that because of this show and the time shift in Sandman to modern day means we wont get Death in her hella early 90's jogging outfit that she wears when she meets the Dead Boys in the comics. Kirby could pull that poo poo off.