Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I plan on calling the UK embassy when they open tomorrow but I wonder if anyone here can make me feel better or panic more.

We are residents in Spain and plan on traveling to the US for a month, from July 28 to August 25. But I just noticed our six year old's US passport expires August 31 and his UK passport expires September 15.

So from what I can tell the US does not follow the "six month rule" so assuming Spain lets us leave, the US will let him in on his soon-to-expire passport. But then, will Spain let us leave, and will they let him back in? He has a Spanish residency card so I feel like if he can get out, they'll let him back in.

The US state dept. does say Spain doesn't want people arriving on a passport that will expire less than 3 months beyond your date of departure, but he isn't going to be departing once he gets back. So this kinda doesn't apply, right?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Spain.html

There is also maybe the option of getting an emergency travel doc from the UK. Tomorrow I want to confirm with someone from the embassy whether this is a route we should take. We may have to drive half way across Spain to pick it up but oh well.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document/how-to-apply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Getting in will be fine since you travel before the passport expires, and there is no six month rule for returning home (actually you could recently even fly home on an expired passport but I see that rule ended on 30 June 2022).

You miiight be able to get back in to Spain but I think the issue is going to be the airline being dicks rather than the immigration authority. In your shoes I’d try and renew the UK passport ASAP, and deal with the US one after you get back. Maybe someone can even get your mail and expedite it to you, whenever the renewed UK passport comes in the mail (if they do mail renewal for kids)?

This question might also be better posed on the flyertalk forum

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 10, 2022

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The UK passport office is completely hosed for what it's worth so good luck.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/09/uk-passport-delays-queue-uk-holiday