Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Just got off work, I'll try to finish up with our initial voted actions (namely agriculture and brewing getting started) and update in a bit here. Gonna have a drink and a smoke first though so will be a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

CHAPTER 1, PART 4

Okay so I built 5 maximum area farm plots connected to one another, like so:

Deki and Dervival have begun planting seeds (celery, asparagus, and potato -- all we currently have) already! Thanks, kind citizens!

I also created two maximum size gathering zones for additional fruit and whatnot gathering.

With these developments, I figured I should also build a Still workshop so I can test our ability to make drinks ASAP. I constructed one in the front fenced in area opposite the single other workshop we currently have (a carpenter's workshop needed to build some initial doors).

On that note, drinks are looking pretty scarce already:

It is imperative that we start producing alcohol immediately, or these poor dwarves are gonna have to go without booze :smith:

We have some barrel-stored fruits I was seeing in our indoor stockpile in one of the rooms, I think some oranges, and some other stuff I'm less sure of. But hopefully we have enough plant materials stored already to make some booze. Otherwise, I did also assign some decent area's worth of plant gathering, so that may also help secure brewable plant material.

(Source: https://www.deviantart.com/chrono01/art/One-Sad-Dwarf-7138398)

I think the most pressing question right now is, how are we going to make sure we can produce alcohol ASAP? Do we think we can forage enough supplies to brew at a Still? I don't think we have any plumphelmet seeds yet, which I understand are one of the reliable brewing materials.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Mathwyn's military squad has been named, "Abstract Solutions", a befitting title for a, by all accounts, somewhat unfortunate personality to be leading a combat unit.

Snuff Melange fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 14, 2022

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

As far as I can keep track, here's the current queue, btw:

I became a little concerned I messed it up, but I went back and re-ordered it and added people I typed about in that paragraph but didn't actually put on the list. It should be right now but let me know if the order or roles are wrong! (Or if you prefer a different name, if I changed yours to fit the in-game name format better)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dorf me as well. I'll take farmer, hunter or brewer

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dorf me as a miner, i'll dig greedily, DIG DEEP

All the way to the fun.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

For the immediate crisis, we brew whatever surface plants can be gathered to stave off withdrawal
For long term, what underground crops seeds did we bring? Were those also on the wagon that fell off a cliff along with the pickaxes? Also barrels, we've got to have barrels for brewing

(the lack of pipeweed is a pretty surprising oversight in the mechanics)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Outdoor crops, what heresy is this?!

Dwarf me, hauler for preference

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just rememebered I signed up for this and am well pleased that I seem to have been dwarfcarnated as an antisocial high strung spear holder.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Sorry for the little hiatus, bit of a mix of busy IRL and under the weather -- will try to pick up tomorrow.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Dorf me as well, any grunt work will do.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Ooh, more dwarf fortress shenanigans. Dwarf me as anything, cap'n!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Dorf me, soldier role if those aren't over populated.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Snuff Melange posted:

Sorry for the little hiatus, bit of a mix of busy IRL and under the weather -- will try to pick up tomorrow.

No worries! Real life should take precedence over playing a game for a dead gay comedy forum.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dwarves tend to be very much under the weather, literarily.

The sunlight will not reach this low,
deep deep in the mine.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Foxfire_ posted:

For the immediate crisis, we brew whatever surface plants can be gathered to stave off withdrawal
For long term, what underground crops seeds did we bring? Were those also on the wagon that fell off a cliff along with the pickaxes? Also barrels, we've got to have barrels for brewing

(the lack of pipeweed is a pretty surprising oversight in the mechanics)

We brought asparagus, celery, and potato, all of which has been planted aboveground at this very moment. I'm not sure which of those can be ground underground off the top of my head. We do have 20 barrels, in various states of full-ness. Some hold more fruits and brewables, some may be empty.

I agree! We need pipeweed, damnit! Let these dwarves rip a bowl, dev brothers!

(Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ELgGDn)

Dorf requests have been noted! A few people were missing or mis-ordered from the current Dorf queue -- notably Veloxyll, and Slaan -- but that's been rectified!

Alright, so, we will brew whatever we have surface-ready for agricultural stuff in the short term, and then keep underground / brewing crops at the forefront of our minds. I'll run the game and see if I can prompt the dwarves to finish building a still, and hopefully try to brew some stuff up if that works alright.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

A caravan from Uzol Likot has arrived! We should be able to trade anything we don't immediately need (if we so choose), and also buy some supplies (if we can afford it!).

Before I move on to showing their inventory and seeing what we can afford to part with, I need to tell them what goods we want to prioritize them bringing us for trade. My vote on this would be to include plump helmets, and probably some other animals or food sources.

The next voting item, I think, should be what items or item types we want to ask the good people of Uzol Likot to bring in caravans in the future. As far as I'm aware, this is a somewhat important decision, and could make or break our survival a few seasons down the road. I'll try to wait for at least a few people to post input before continuing.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
All the plump helmets. Definitely a priority. Let there be a sea of plump helmets to be had, enough to crush a dwarf.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We need crossbows and axes

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Any crafting materials we can't source from our immediate environment. I remember one previous LP ended in a tantrum spiral that started when a dwarf in a fey mood couldn't get any shells.

Otherwise we need seeds, breeding stock and stuff to ferment. That should carry us until we've managed to get established properly, and by then we'll have an idea of what we're likely to need more of than we can make ourselves.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All of the drink! A dwarf needs their drink!
Lots of milk in preparation for all of the cheesemaking.

I've no idea if those are good ideas, they probably aren't, but that's what dwarfing around is all about.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Those are all surface plants, so prioritize some properly Dwarfy food.

Buy out whatever we can get from this caravan for
- Plump Helmets since they're edible without further processing, brewable, fast growing, and can be planted year round
- Pig Tails grow fast, but are only brewable and weavable into cloth.
- Cave wheat and quarry bushes if the caravan's sold out of the better ones.
Plus get some emergency booze if there's any available

For requests for next caravan, go for bags and clothes. We won't be able to make new socks until all of: get fiber crop seeds -> grow crop -> make fiber -> spin cloth -> make socks. There's supposed to be plenty of metal here and there's trees to burn, so we should be able to start producing tools & weapons before the next caravan anyway

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Dorf me! Preferably sign me upn for military when it becomes a thing.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Foxfire_ posted:

Those are all surface plants, so prioritize some properly Dwarfy food.

Buy out whatever we can get from this caravan for
- Pig Tails grow fast, but are only brewable and weavable into cloth.

a well dressed dwarf is a happy dwarf. this should be a goal.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

(Apologies for the delay again, back in a day or so -- I feel rude posting in other threads while not doing this one but this one is work D:)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dwarf me as anything.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Great! More DF!

Dorf me, please. Anything to do with sharps (or blunt) bits of metal, be it crafting or stabbing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Dwarf me please and ty

miner or marksdwarf if available

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
Dwarf me please.

An engineer or mechanic if possible.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I would like to be Dorfified as well, please. I'll take a military role if feasible, otherwise no preference!

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Just a heads up, a new Dwarf Fortress is coming out soon.

Developed by Bay 12 Games
Pub by Kitfox

Release TBD

Already on Steam

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RazNation posted:

Just a heads up, a new Dwarf Fortress is coming out soon.

Developed by Bay 12 Games
Pub by Kitfox

Release TBD

Already on Steam

That would be soon(tm) at this point.
We'll get hyped for it once it has a release date

seppe
Jan 22, 2015
Dwarf me as anything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If this is still going I'd like to be dorfed as a weapon/armor smith if the position's open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm pretty sure it's dead.