Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I noticed on Porsche's build site they offer a "paint to sample" option. For an additional $11,430 you can choose a color from Porsche's range of samples. But if you don't want to be constrained by their samples, you can go with the "paint to sample plus" option for a mere $14,670. This is described as "Individual color development and individual paintwork for any technically feasible solid or metallic color based on a submitted color sample."

With the assumption that the vast majority of private individuals who purchase new cars don't order them to spec, but rather buy one off a dealer lot, my questions are:

1. Do you think there is a market for a paint delete option? Cars comes from the factory in primer for $1,000 less? Then the buyer could have it painted whatever they like, or just drive around in a gritty primer painted car (cyberpunk).
2. Do other car companies offer a similar bespoke paint service? With modern day manufacturing, would it be possible for any car company to offer a paint to order for $2,500 or less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
1) no OEM would ever do this because A) it does not save much money and B) primer is not designed to be a durable-long lasting corrosion preventative coating. Also, painting a car after it is assembled is expensive. I got a quote for a high-quality respray on my car, trim out, fully masked etc and it was about $5,000. It's much easier to paint all the painted parts before they are installed.

2) only super luxury OEMs offer true bespoke painting; the closest you can get is stuff like BMW Individual where you can pick paint colors from an extensive library (basically the first option). You can't offer every color under the sun because you have a specific paint supplier that supplies you with specific colors (or components of colors). Custom painting adds a ton of complexity in both the supply chain and manufacturing process, and complexity drives cost.

If you want your car to be a different color, vinyl wraps exist and are both good and not very expensive.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

1) no OEM would ever do this because A) it does not save much money and B) primer is not designed to be a durable-long lasting corrosion preventative coating. Also, painting a car after it is assembled is expensive. I got a quote for a high-quality respray on my car, trim out, fully masked etc and it was about $5,000. It's much easier to paint all the painted parts before they are installed.

2) only super luxury OEMs offer true bespoke painting; the closest you can get is stuff like BMW Individual where you can pick paint colors from an extensive library (basically the first option). You can't offer every color under the sun because you have a specific paint supplier that supplies you with specific colors (or components of colors). Custom painting adds a ton of complexity in both the supply chain and manufacturing process, and complexity drives cost.

If you want your car to be a different color, vinyl wraps exist and are both good and not very expensive.

Great points! I'll keep an eye out on the mid-range OEMs and see if paint to order (from a library of colors) eventually filters down to them. But you're right, they would be in direct competition with vinyl wrap solutions. Still, if companies could make this happen at the $2,000 price point, I think they would get some takers. For example, the Golf R only comes in 3 colors, which is ridiculous. Were I in the market for one, I would pay $2,000 to get it in British Racing Green or whatever from the factory.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
GM and ford performance we’re offering bodies in white for awhile recently. Not sure if you can still buy them. Less complete then a drivable car lol.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

grellgraxer posted:

For example, the Golf R only comes in 3 colors, which is ridiculous. Were I in the market for one, I would pay $2,000 to get it in British Racing Green or whatever from the factory.

Funny you should mention the Golf R, the MKVII had a custom program with 40 different colours to choose from:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/mkvii-volkswagen-golf-r-spektrum-paint-colors-photos/

I was also on the prowl for a Peacock Green Sportwagen for a while too.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

the MKVII had a custom program with 40 different colours to choose from:

Excellent example! I wonder how much they charged back in 2020 for paint to order. I saw this on the build site for the Golf R: "We’re sorry, availability of some equipment, options or features may be limited due to global supply issues affecting the auto industry." So maybe that's why they reverted to only 3 colors? Or maybe the paint to order option wasn't successful?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It was $3500 if I recall correctly and the program was a dismal failure

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

grellgraxer posted:

Were I in the market for one, I would pay $2,000 to get it in British Racing Green or whatever from the factory.

I don't see many green new cars, the last one I had was a 93. The market has decided on only silver and black.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SpeedFreek posted:

I don't see many green new cars, the last one I had was a 93. The market has decided on only silver and black.

The hakone Toyota 86 came in what is essentially British racing green with gold wheels and it looked amazing but they didn’t make it a yearly thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SpeedFreek posted:

Honda still offered a nice shade of green on the Civic from 96-00 (I had a 96 EX in green). Accords got a darker shade until at least 02, though the clearcoat failed quickly on those.

Agreed on most cars being variations of monochrome now though. On Friday, all but one car I had my hands in was dark silver (the one exception was red).

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I wonder if you could order a harlequin Porsche? (although I have no idea why you would)

Per the website language, could you tell Porsche you want Vantablack?

also to chime in on the primer idea - most car chassis interiors are sealed with exterior paint. Painting / sealing up the floorplan and/or firewall underneath the carpet would require disassembling most of the car and redoing the adhesive.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vampire Panties posted:

I wonder if you could order a harlequin Porsche? (although I have no idea why you would)

If you paid them enough and bought enough of them to do a body panel swap like they did with the harlequins, I promise Porsche would do it, no question.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You’d probably already need some kind of relationship with Porsche.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Probably just to get a slot, but Porsche for sure does 100% bespoke builds.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A Porsche dealer that wouldn’t mind selling you a half dozen+ 911’s has enough of a connection with Porsche to get the ball rolling.

Thinking about it a bit more, a Porsche dealer could commission this itself and sell the cars individually pretty easily I’d think. The harlequin look is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thinking about it a bit more, a Porsche dealer could commission this itself and sell the cars individually pretty easily I’d think. The harlequin look is excellent.

I suspect Porsche would frown on this.