Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Cody Rhodes, Jon Moxley, Will Ospreay
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Dax Harwood, Kazuchika Okada, Will Ospreay
Tag Team of the Year: FTR, Jurassic Express, Hobbs and Starks
Best on Interviews: MJF, Matt Cardona, Powerhouse Hobbs
Promotion of the Year: AEW, STARDOM, NJPW
Best Weekly TV Show: Dynamite
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins Hell in a Cell, Ospreay vs. Orange Cassidy, Jurassic Express vs. Hobbs and Starks vs. Swerve in Our Glory

Category "B" Awards: You vote once for these.
US/Canada MVP: Cody Rhodes
Japan MVP: Will Ospreay
Mexico MVP: Hijo del Vikingo
Europe MVP: Will Ospreay
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Ishimori
Women's Wrestling MVP: Jade Cargill
Feud of the Year: Cody vs. Rollins
Most Improved: Keith Lee
Most Charismatic: Maki Itoh
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zack Sabre Jr.
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: CM Punk
Most Underrated: Ricky Starks
Rookie of the Year: Hook
Best Non-Wrestler: Taz
Best Television Announcer: Taz
Worst Television Announcer: Kevin Gill
Best Major Wrestling Show: Forbidden Door
Worst Major Wrestling Show: Joey Janela's Spring Break Part 2
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Coffin Drop
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Vince being Vince
Worst Television Show: NXT 2.0
Worst Match of the Year: Clusterfuck Battle Royal
Worst Feud of the Year: Sammy Guevara vs. Scorpio Sky
Worst Promotion of the Year: GCW
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: Danhausen
Worst Gimmick: Joe Gacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:

1. CM Punk
2. Hangman Page
3. Jon Moxley

This is a real toss-up between Punk and Page right now. I think Punk was just barely ahead of Hangman after Double or Nothing, then obviously Punk went down with injury, which'd make you think Hangman would've gotten the lead back since then but...Page hasn't really done anything since then? He had a decent TV match, he was in the Royal Rampage, the only thing he's really done since then is the four=way at Forbidden Door....and he and Okada were the best part of that match. And it was one of the main events, so you would have to credit it at least partially for the buyrate...alright whatever I talked myself into it.

1. Hangman Page
2. CM Punk
3. Jon Moxley

So yeah, Hangman and Punk have both been loving incredible this year, they've both done tons of business, they've had incredible matches and promos. They've been neck and neck for me all year and the thing that's making it really hard for me to pick one or the other is Revolution. I dunno who deserves more credit for the buyrate on that one, cause Page was in the main event, but the most pushed match and what certainly felt like the hottest match going in was the dog collar match. So I dunno. That's a tough one and right now I'm just leaning Hangman a liiiiiittle bit over Punk. Moxley is the only person I think has a realistic chance to catch either of them. I haven't seen any of Mox's GCW work, I would have to take a look at the attendance of those shows to see what effect he's having (I would assume significant). So far I don't think he's particularly close to Punk or Hangman in match quality or business, but he's the main guy in AEW right now, so he could easily catch them in both, depending on how long Punk is out and what Hangman does the rest of the year.

Most Outstanding Wrestler:

1. Dax Harwood
2. Hangman Page
3. Konosuke Takeshita

UNCLE DAX, MOTHERFUCKER. Maybe I'm overrating him a bit. At the end of the year I'm probably gonna be putting Page down here but I don't give a gently caress, Dax is awesome, I love his big bald rear end so much, I love how he cuts the same stupid promo about pro wrestling and family and his daughters every time he gets the mic, I love him being an unabashed Bret Hart mark. You couldn't get me to care about this dude if you put a gun to my head last year but he's one of my favorite wrestlers in the world since he turned babyface. And I haven't even watched FTR vs Briscoes yet! Which I should probably fuckin' do, if the second one is gonna be this weekend!!!!! Okay I watched it, it was incredible and further consolidates me picking Dax for this spot. I just love everything Dax is doing right now.

Hangman has had a bunch of incredible matches this year, Danielson, Archer, I thought both of the matches with Adam Cole were just great, the Takeshita match was incredible, the Punk match was great - he was the standard bearer for AEW in the first half of the year and in the ring he delivered every time. Since he dropped the belt, he's been in kind of a holding pattern, which is probably why he's 2nd and not 1st, but I've enjoyed all of his work this year more than almost anybody. I'm just gonna say it, Hangman Page had the best in-ring AEW World Championship reign.

Takeshita has just been an example of absolutely maximizing every single second of TV time you get. This guy's physical charisma is off the charts and every time he goes out there, he has an incredible match, he loses and people are begging for him to get a win the next time out. I'm absolutely enthralled by this guy and he's done it purely in the ring. I can't wait to see where his story goes.

Tag Team of the Year:
1. FTR
2. Young Bucks
3. Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland

I already talked about how Dax has been incredible as a babyface, so just apply that to FTR as a whole. The Bucks have been the Bucks as per usual, having great matches the way the rest of us breathe, and Swerve in Our Glory had a fantastic little story this year where it was teased constantly that they would break up and then they just....didn't! They stayed together and won the championships! Love it.

Best on Interviews:

1. MJF
2. CM Punk
3. Eddie Kingston

Near misses include Ricky Starks, Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley and especially lately, Christian Cage. Putting this list together just makes me realize, goddamn, AEW lost Punk and MJF at basically the same time and those guys were absolutely on fire on the mic every single week until they left. MJF has just, to use a term from his own promo, not hit a home run every time he came out, but hit a grand slam every time he came out. The dude has been absolutely untouchable on the mic all year and he left on his best one yet a couple months ago, calling his boss a loving MARK before vanishing into the Long Island wilderness. Great stuff.

Punk had been on fire too prior to his injury, although I thought his concern troll act against Hangman was a little bit of a miss. His best stuff of the year was definitely when he was feuding with MJF. And Eddie Kingston has been Eddie Kingston, pure, raw emotion at its best every time he touches a mic. His "I drown my demons, but they know how to swim" promo was incredible. Him calling Jericho on the phone during an episode of Rampage was incredible. Man, this feud was great until it went on for, checks watch, 718 years.

Promotion of the Year:

1. AEW
2. NJPW
3. I don't know!!!!!!

AEW and NJPW are as always the clear one and two. AEW is putting on great show after great show, NJPW has continued plunking along through the pandemic and doing what business they can and have done some cool stuff here and there that wasn't just Forbidden Door. As for third place, I genuinely don't know. RoH has only had one show (two by the time you're reading this, probably) so that's not really enough. I've heard varying good things about Stardom, Dragon Gate and Impact this year, but I don't watch any of those so I dunno which to pick! I am allowing you to choose whichever of Stardom, Dragon Gate, NOAH, Tokyo Joshi Pro or Impact you like the most and pretend I gave it my third place vote. Okay maybe not NOAH.

Best Weekly TV Show:

1. AEW Dynamite
2. AEW Rampage

I'm told New Japan Strong and Impact have been good this year. I do not watch either!

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:

1. Hangman Page vs. Bryan Danielson - AEW Dynamite 1/5/22
2. CM Punk vs. MJF - AEW Dynamite AEW Dynamite 2/2/22
3. Young Bucks vs. Ricky Starks and Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland - AEW Dynamite 7/13/22

Not that it's relevant cause the first match was in 2021, but I liked Page vs. Bryan 2 more than the Winter is Coming match, because man, the second match was just so much more brutal and mean than the first one, it was great. Favorite match all year, easy. I liked the Punk/MJF Dynamite match more than the Dog Collar match by just a little bit because I really loved the length and the selling in the TV match and also, Punk broke out the Pepsi Plunge! That was fun. And the Triple or Nothing match was just a really fun, extravagant tag team match which had a really good story culmination at the end.

US/Canada MVP: Hangman Page
Japan MVP: Kazuchika Okada
Mexico MVP: Dunno
Europe MVP: Dunno
Non-Heavyweight MVP: PAC
Women's Wrestling MVP:
Best Box Office Draw: CM Punk
Feud of the Year: CM Punk vs. MJF
Most Improved: Wheeler Yuta
Most Charismatic: MJF
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Bryan Danielson
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Dax Harwood
Most Overrated: Roman Reigns

Every year until people learn.

Most Underrated: I dunno!! Athena?

Seems weird to put PAC here while he has a belt, but I'm kinda leaning towards him anyway, lol. For now I'm just gonna steal Rarity's pick and say Athena, she's been really, really good since she signed with AEW, but I feel like people are starting to notice.

Rookie of the Year: Konosuke Takeshita

Catch the fever! #nastyism

Best Non-Wrestler: William Regal

I thought Stoke would be making a stronger run for this by this point in the year, tbh.

I might change this to Ian Riccaboni after Death Before Dishonor, that guy's great. Also I haven't watched enough NJPW this year, but I hear Kevin Kelly's been knocking it out of the park and he was absolutely great on Forbidden Door.

Worst Television Announcer: Some WWE shmuck, I'm sure. If you're gonna ask me to say somebody from a show I actually watch, probably Jim Ross.

Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW x NJPW: Forbidden Door
Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Royal Rumble 2022
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Some joshi, I think it's Yamashita? She does a kick that's like Malakai Black's spin kick on steroids. That one. That thing looks like loving murder.
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Everything related to Vince and his sex scandals, but particularly sending Titus out to cape for him about five minutes before he stepped down in shame.
Worst Television Show: WWE SmackDown

Maybe NXT is worse on a week-to-week basis, maybe Raw is longer, but SmackDown did that episode where they had like 13 minutes of wrestling in two hours and they bait-and-switched the main event for a 90 second squash and that alone wins it worst television show for the entire year for me.

Worst Match of the Year: Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho, Barbed Wire Everywhere Match - AEW Dynamite: Fyter Fest Night 2 7/20/22

ahahahaha gotcha, it's actually the Men's Royal Rumble.

The only reason I'm putting this over Brock vs. Roman or "House of Torture vs. Me, the viewer" (very good pick, forkboy) is because for one glorious week, they had it. They had saved this one. They did the double turn, Sammy was a despicable little prick who couldn't keep his tongue out of his girl's mouth and Men of the Year were firey babyfaces. There was a great story about how Scorpio Sky's obsession with the TNT Title for over a year made him be a prick rear end in a top hat, but then when thought he'd gotten what he wanted, he immediately lost it again. Then he became the heroic, honorable Scorpio Sky again and it was enough to catapult him to victory and earn him the respect of the fans! Ethan Page was cuttin' firey babyface promos! Dynamite Dan Lambert was out there saying stuff like "my grandfather said that youth is wasted on the young because you can go wherever you want but you don't have the wisdom to appreciate it." and it WORKED. Everybody was cheering for Scorpio like he was a conqeuring hero!

And then they threw it all away literally a week later. God. I was so, so, so frustrated when that happened. Probably the worst AEW has ever disappointed me. I get that it was because they wanted to put the belt on Wardlow but geeeeeeeeeez.

Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Gimmick: Eddie Kingston, a loser and a failure.
Worst Gimmick: Roman Reigns, "The Tribal Chief".
Shad Gaspard/Jon Huber Memorial Award: Does Martha Hart count?
Best Pro Wrestling Book: MOX, this only counts because the audiobook came out this year. :v:
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Whatever the best "fall of Vince McMahon" documentary turns out to be.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

1. Dax Harwood

*taps the sign*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
PAC's a heavyweight! He didn't bulk up to 206 lbs to be disrespected like this :argh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anybody lighter than or equal to Shingo is a Jr. Heavyweight, sorry, I don't make the rules.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So uh.

Jericho for Thesz/Flair?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In the conversation but not having the AEW title run kinda of puts him behind Moxley plus Moxley has been in other companies as well. Now if he gets ROH a great TV spot and lifts the company up than maybe the conversation differs but right now I'd vote for Moxley (though I wouldn't begrudge someone voting for Jericho)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not sure about Thesz/Flair but definitely Most Improved

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thesz/Flair is Moxley and then Okada and Syuri imhf

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Moving Kento #1 for Lou Thesz after dead indie All Japan did one of the best attendances at the Budokan in a couple of years

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

Not sure about Thesz/Flair but definitely Most Improved

I can't really call him Most Improved when he won wrestler of the year only three years ago. Its Jericho, he's always going to be awesome.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

I can't really call him Most Improved when he won wrestler of the year only three years ago. Its Jericho, he's always going to be awesome.

I was wondering earlier if it's fair to give someone "most improved" if they were great then had a really bad year and then were great again.

Not for Jericho though, Taiji Ishimori has been really phoned in for two or three years and now he's suddenly great again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

forkboy84 posted:

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: 1. Kazuchika Okada 2. Kento Miyahara 3. CM Punk
Most Outstanding Wrestler: 1. Kento Miyahara 2. Yuma Aoyagi 3. El Lindaman
Tag Team of the Year: 1. Astronatus 2. FTR 3. Runaway Suplex (RIP)
Best on Interviews: 1. Eddie Kingston 2. Zack Sabre Jr 3. Shun Skywalker
Promotion of the Year: 1. All Japan 2. New Japan 3. GLEAT
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: 1. MUSASHI vs Fujita "Jr" Hayato, 1/7 Michinoku Pro 2. Go Shiozaki vs Katsuhiko Nakajima, 1/1 NOAH 3. El Lindaman vs Shigehiro Irie, 18/5 GLEAT

Japan MVP: Kento Miyahara
Mexico MVP: Titan
Non-Heavyweight MVP: El Lindaman
Women's Wrestling MVP: ASUKA/Veny
Feud of the Year: Shun Skywalker vs Jason Lee
Most Improved: Riko Kawahata
Most Charismatic: Kento Miyahara
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zack Sabre Jr
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Kenoh
Best Flying Wrestler: Atsuki Aoyagi
Most Overrated: AEW
Most Underrated: KAI
Rookie of the Year: Takuma Fujiwara
Best Non-Wrestler: Miho Abe? I dunno
Best Television Announcer: Milano Collection AT
Worst Television Announcer: One of the GCW guys. OK, I know it's not TV but they are still announcing. Kevin Gill I think his name is?
Best Major Wrestling Show: Pro Wrestling NOAH The New Year, 1/1
Worst Major Wrestling Show: This will change just because this is in my head right now & I'm still mad but All Japan Summer Action Series Night 2, 14th July
Best Wrestling Maneuver:
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Vince McMahon using his heinous sexual allegations to pop a rating.
Worst Television Show: Raw
Worst Match of the Year: Chase Owens vs Jado, NJPW 7/3
Worst Feud of the Year: House of Torture vs Me, the viewer
Worst Promotion of the Year: It feels like cheating to vote for a promotion I never watch so I guess GCW, the little I've seen has been the occasional great match mixed in with some real stinkers.
Best Booker: Whoever books GLEAT, CIMA I guess? It's not been a great year for consistently good booking.
Promoter of the Year: Rossy Ogawa
Best Gimmick: Shun Skywalker, demented man gaslighting his former friend
Worst Gimmick: Pheromones. What a waste of Iino & Imanari.

I had to edit this because how the hell did I forget Lindaman for best non-Heavyweight?

We're ¾ of the way through the year & thought I'd see what I I'd change

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: 1. Kento Miyahara 2. Kazuchika Okada 3. Jon Moxley
Tag Team of the Year: 1. Astronauts 2. Kung Fu Masters 3. Soul Meat
Promotion of the Year: 1. All Japan 2. GLEAT 3. Prominence
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: 1. MUSASHI vs Fujita "Jr" Hayato, 1/7 Michinoku Pro 2. Go Shiozaki vs Katsuhiko Nakajima, 1/1 NOAH 3. El Desperado vs Jun Kasai, 12/9 JTO

Mexico MVP: Soberano Jr?
Most Improved: Rising HAYATO
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Kenoh's PFS

Not much tbh. CM Punk out, NJPW out. Otherwise, Despy vs Jun is now #3 MOTY. Kind of like that my top 3 wrestlers has stayed the same, if there was a comeback of the year it'd be Mike Bailey, I know he technically didn't go away but he's taken his return to US wrestling with both hands

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I was wondering earlier if it's fair to give someone "most improved" if they were great then had a really bad year and then were great again.

Not for Jericho though, Taiji Ishimori has been really phoned in for two or three years and now he's suddenly great again.

i think this happened when Great Muta became Keiji Mutoh in 2000 but i can't be sure?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is it just me or is MOTY incredibly hard to pick this year? There's a good dozen or so that I can think of where you could make an argument and I'd say fair enough

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Is it just me or is MOTY incredibly hard to pick this year? There's a good dozen or so that I can think of where you could make an argument and I'd say fair enough

For me it's Desperado/Kasai and it's possibly my favourite match ever so it's easy for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

I have to think about Acclaimed vs SIOG and Mox vs. Punk from All Out but besides that, nothing has really shook my top three.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
its going to be FTR v Briscoes 1 regardless of what we vote

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FTR/Briscoes 1
FTR/Briscoes 2
Okada/Zack
Okada/Jay
Okada/Ospreay
Eddie/Jericho 1
Anarchy in the Arena
Punk/MJF Dog Collar
SIOG/Acclaimed 1
Hangman/Bryan

And that's just off the top of my head and only really knowing about New Japan and the Khanverse

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

So uh.

Jericho for Thesz/Flair?

I don't know, Thesz/Flair/Jericho sounds like a mouthful for an award name, but I can't really argue with it.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Wrestler of the year is Kento Miyahara for getting watchable matches out of Abdullah Kobayashi and Suwama in 2022, and I will entertain no discussion to the contrary

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Giving this a little bump since we're close to the end of the year. I haven't looked at my ballot in a while, on the discussion of Thesz/Flair, I'm pretty sure it's just Moxley but I'm wondering if MJF or Jericho have any kind of case.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Giving this a little bump since we're close to the end of the year. I haven't looked at my ballot in a while, on the discussion of Thesz/Flair, I'm pretty sure it's just Moxley but I'm wondering if MJF or Jericho have any kind of case.

Jericho had a better year, that is my case.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The best US candidates are Mox, Jericho and as much as I hate to say it Roman Reigns. MJF hasn't worked enough for this year to enter the conversation

I'm still debating wrestler of the year but Outstanding is clearly Will Ospreay

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

Any other year I think Jericho would walk it, but Moxley has really been the guy keeping AEW together and stepped up more than once, and is a candidate for most outstanding too.

Okada deserves consideration for NJPW going from an absolute mess to pretty much doubling attendance for most shows YoY but I think the booking actually making sense this year helped a lot.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I fully expect Roman Reigns to get a lot of votes and because there might be a vote split due to no clear #1 choice (Moxley was the clear favourite in the first half but it was all mixed up in the CM Punk nonsense who was also a first third nominee, then was second to Jericho later on, whereas Roman's been consistent in his role).

Okada's possible as a default "we don't know" choice either though it would be funny that it would be Okada's second ever wrestler of the year only, because despite Okada being well loving Okada he's only won wrestler of the year once and that was the 2017 literal best single year a wrestler has had ever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My picks in July, changes in italics

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: 1. Jon Moxley, 2. Eddie Kingston, 3. Hangman Page[/b]
Mox obviously still holds the top spot. Jericho's going in second and yeah Okada can have third

Most Outstanding Wrestler: 1. Zack Sabre Jr., 2. Eddie Kingston, 3. Dax Harwood[/b]
I'm not voting for Ospreay because of The Reasons so Zack can keep his top spot. Dax is going up to second for being on fire all year long and I love Eddie but he tailed off so third is going to be Hangman

Tag Team of the Year: 1. FTR, 2. The Young Bucks, 3. Swerve in Our Glory[/b]
I literally cannot vote against The Acclaimed so they move into #1, FTR go down to #2 and SIOG stay at #3.

Best on Interviews: 1. Eddie Kingston, 2. Zack Sabre Jr., 3. Jay White[/b]
Jay's promos this year have been phenomenal so he's up to first, Zack's still second and Eddie's down to third

Promotion of the Year: 1. AEW, 2. NJPW, 3. TJPW[/b]
Same

Best Weekly TV Show: 1. AEW Dynamite, 2. AEW Rampage, 3. Hey EW[/b]
Same

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: 1. FTR vs. The Briscoes - ROH Supercard of Honor, 2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White, NJPW Dominion, 3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - NJPW Hyper Battle
FTR vs. Aussie Open from Royal Quest II is my MOTY because I was there. After that it's so hard because there were so many great matches this year. FTR/Briscoes can have the second spot, I'll pick the Final Battle one and then the G1 final can be third.

US/Canada MVP: Jon Moxley
Same

Japan MVP: Jay White
Same

Mexico MVP: No idea
El Hijo del Vikingo

Europe MVP: Will Ospreay
Same

Non-Heavyweight MVP: Swerve Strickland
gently caress YOU SWERVE

Women's Wrestling MVP: Miyu Yamashita
:hayter::hayter::hayter:

Oof. Erm, Okada I guess

Feud of the Year: Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho
This would still be my pick if it hadn't kept going and going and going. It's gotta be FTR/Briscoes now

Most Improved: Jade Cargill
I'm giving it to Chris Jericho because it's true

Most Charismatic: Eddie Kingston
Forever

Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zack Sabre Jr.
It's close but he's had the better year

Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Jon Moxley
Easy pick

Same

Ok yeah Roman's actually become ok I guess fiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Oh well gently caress CM Punk

Most Underrated: Athena
She just won the ROH belt so I guess that'll do. In that case I'm gonna give it to ZSJ, dude should be in the IWGP title picture

Rookie of the Year: HOOK
Not sure who else is a contender really

Yep

Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Yep

Worst Television Announcer: Corey Graves
Nope

Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door
It was so good

Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Royal Rumble
Ugh

Best Wrestling Maneuver: Athena's Diving Stunner
Yeah it rules

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Vince McMahon promoting himself on TV after sexual assault pay-offs come out
Nothing was gonna top this although CM Punk tried

Worst Television Show: NXT 2.0
Oh god it sucks

Worst Match of the Year: Lash Legend vs. Nikita Lyons, NXT 2.0
Yes

What a mess

Of course

I'm actually gonna switch this. Gedo's done a great job reviving New Japan this year

I can't give this to the guy who allowed CM Punk to fall apart on a live mic so Bushiroad can have it

Best Gimmick: The Acclaimed
I told you about scissors bro! I loving told you!

Worst Gimmick: Lash Legend, Pro-Wrestler
I said this cause I couldn't think of it but obviously it's Schism

Shad Gaspard/Jon Huber Memorial Award:
Best Pro Wrestling Book: No idea
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: No idea
Still skipping all these

Good year of pro-graps imo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Naito lost again so I refuse to accept any votes for Gedo as valid. :colbert:

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Category "A" Awards:

1. Jon Moxley
2. Syuri
3. Kento Miyahara

1. Syuri
2. Zack Sabre Jr.
3. Konosuke Takeshita

Tag Team of the Year:
1. Bishamon
2. FWC
3. Reiwa AA Cannon

Best on Interviews:
1. Eddie Kingston
2. Zack Sabre Jr.
3. Syuri

Promotion of the Year:
1. STARDOM
2. GLEAT
3. NJPW

Best Weekly TV Show:
1. AEW Dynamite
2. Chocopro
3. AEW Rampage

1. El Desperado vs. Jun Kasai, JTO TAKA Michinoku Debut 30th Anniversary ~ TAKATaichiDespeMania, JUST TAP OUT
2. Giulia v. Syuri, STARDOM Dream Queendom 2022, STARDOM
3. Tomoka Inaba vs. Suzu Suzuki, JTO 50th Anniversary for TAKATaichi Together ~ Last TAKATaichi, JUST TAP OUT

Category "B" Awards:

US/Canada MVP:
Jon Moxley

Japan MVP:
Kazuchika Okada

Mexico MVP:
Hijo del Vikingo

Non-Heavyweight MVP:
El Lindaman

Women's Wrestling MVP:
Syuri

Feud of the Year:
Swerve in Our Glory vs. The Acclaimed

Most Improved:
Mina Shirakawa

Most Charismatic:
ASUKA (VENY)

Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award:
Zack Sabre Jr.

Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award:
Eddie Kingston

Best Flying Wrestler:
Komander

Most Overrated:
Will Ospreay

Most Underrated:
Check Shimatani

Rookie of the Year:
HOOK

Best Non-Wrestler:
William Regal

Best Television Announcer:
Milano Collection A.T.

Worst Television Announcer:
Corey Graves

Best Major Wrestling Show:
AEW/NJPW Forbidden Door

Worst Major Wrestling Show:
WWE Royal Rumble

Best Wrestling Maneuver:
Tequila Shot (Suzu Suzuki)

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic:
Vince McMahon appearing on WWE television in response to sexual assault payoffs being reported

Worst Television Show:
WWE RAW

Worst Match of the Year:
Ric Flair & Andrade El Idolo vs. Jay Lethal & Jeff Jarrett, Ric Flair's Last Match, Jim Crockett Promotions

Worst Feud of the Year:
Sammy Guevara vs. Scorpio Sky

Worst Promotion of the Year:
WWE

Best Booker:
CIMA (or whoever books GLEAT)

Promoter of the Year:
Rossy Ogawa

Best Gimmick:
The Acclaimed and Billy Gunn's SCISSOR ME DADDY rear end

Worst Gimmick:
Pheromones

Shad Gaspard/Jon Huber Memorial Award:
Kyoko Kimura

Power Windows fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 1, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

Original Ballot

1. Jon Moxley
2. Chris Jericho
3. MJF

Remember when this award was a toss-up between CM Punk and Hangman Page? If Punk had just gotten injured, I think you could still make an argument for him as AEW MVP, just because he did so much for the company's business in the first half of the year and the business drop-off since All Out is frankly kind of stark, but given the incredibly toxic way he left the company, there's no reasonable argument for him being the most positive contributor to AEW this year and Page just kinda didn't do anything at all after he dropped the title (although I think you gotta give him a little credit for the Forbidden Door buyrate).

I wondered if MJF had any case, but he missed a significant chunk of the year selling his storyline and while he was probably the most compelling thing in the company after he returned at All Out, the ratings kinda dropped while the show was focused on him and I dunno about anybody else, but I was the slightest bit disappointed that he just went full heel at Full Gear instead of continuing the inner conflict storyline. Either way, it's hard to put him ahead of Mox or Jericho until we know Full Gear's buys, whiiiiich we don't, so he's in 3rd.

Jericho vs. Mox was a tough one. I actually think on matches, Jericho came out ahead and if you did some quarter-hour analysis, I think Jericho would come out ahead on ratings too, but Moxley basically stepping in and saving the world title multiple times, main eventing multiple pay per views that he wasn't supposed to main event just meant a ton for the promotion and the championship in terms of giving them stability. Also I'm a Punk mark and I'm annoyed at Jericho right now. Whatever, it's my ballot. :v:

1. Claudio Castagnoli
2. Dax Harwood
3. Swerve Strickland

I had to drop Hangman out of here cause the guy just didn't do anything in the second half of the year, which isn't entirely his fault, but still. Takeshita came back and had a loving amazing match with Moxley, but I didn't watch any of his DDT stuff this year so again, not much of a case from the second half of the year. With those two out, I moved Swerve into third because that guy has just been great in 2022 all year and his match with Wheeler Yuta in the last Rampage of the year might've pushed him just ahead of someone like Ricky Starks, who was also absolutely money in 2022. Dax just kept churning out the hits and it's honestly tempting to leave him at number 1, but dude, Claudio has just been so loving great. There's a bit of recency bias here, because it was definitely the Three Kings Battle Royale and the Claudio and Mox vs. Top Flight match that gave him a push but I just love everything about Claudio's work right now. He's finally in a place that understands that you can just put him out there and trust his overwhelming skill and physical charisma to tell whatever story you want and he's been flourishing. I can't wait to see what he does in 2023.

Tag Team of the Year:
1. FTR
2. Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland
3. The Acclaimed

FTR blows this award away, obviously. Swerve in Our Glory had a great storyline that spanned nearly the entire year and the Acclaimed got stupidly insanely over and forced Khan to put the belt on them. I think you could make cases for the Bucks and Lucha Bros here, but it's weird, because they've spent most of the last chunk of the year doing trios stuff, not tag team stuff.

Best on Interviews:

1. MJF
2. Ricky Starks
3. CM Punk

Even going out in a blaze of muffins and hate, Punk is still one of the best promos in the business, so I can't take him off. MJF had his absolutely incredible inner conflict storyline in the second half of the year and Ricky Starks cut the promo of his life like five or six times this year, from the promo after he lost the title to Hook, to the promo after Hobbs turned on him, to the promo against MJF, to the promo against Jericho. Just incredible stuff that everybody who paid attention knew he was capable of.

Promotion of the Year:

1. AEW
2. NJPW
3. I don't know!!!!!!

Third place....I dunno, Ring of Honor? I didn't watch Stardom. :shrug:

Best Weekly TV Show:

1. AEW Dynamite
2. AEW Rampage

I'm told New Japan Strong and Impact have been good this year. I do not watch either!

1. CM Punk vs. Jon Moxley - AEW All Out 9/4/22
2. Hangman Page vs. Bryan Danielson - AEW Dynamite 1/5/22
3. Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland vs. The Acclaimed - AEW All Out 9/4/22

Honestly the only reason that Punk vs. Moxley is ahead of Page vs. Bryan is because I had more of a personal emotional investment in the former. I was completely enthralled by the Punk vs. Moxley storyline and thought the work and the psychology in the match was absolutely incredible with a totally satisfying finish where Punk had fully come back from his injury and defeated the most violent, deadly wrestler in the world to take his place back at the top of the company for about......7 minutes or so.

Page vs. Bryan was an absolutely incredible match, I liked it more than the first one because it was just so much more violent and hateful and brutal. And Swerve in Our Glory vs. the Acclaimed is my favorite tag team match of the year and an absolute masterclass in getting someone from "over" to "OVER", and everybody who says they should've called an audible is an idiot because the reaction they got during the match was the reaction THEY WERE TRYING TO GET. The story about Bowens' body not holding up was told excellently over multiple matches and it was at its best here. The tension between Swerve and Keith Lee. The stories of these teams were so great this year and they intersected beautifully in this match.

US/Canada MVP: Jon Moxley
Japan MVP: Syuri

Look, I didn't watch NJPW or Stardom so I'm just gonna say Syuri 'cause she looks like she could put my lights out with one finger and I like that.

Mexico MVP: Dunno
Europe MVP: Dunno
Non-Heavyweight MVP: PAC
Women's Wrestling MVP: Toni Storm
Feud of the Year: CM Punk vs. MJF
Most Improved: Wheeler Yuta
Most Charismatic: MJF
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award and Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Bryan Danielson and Claudio Castagnoli

Look, just combine the awards and rename them the Blackpool Combat Club award.

People are saying this tool should be wrestler of the year, gimme a fuckin' break.

Honorable mention to Miro, who's never done a thing in the wrestling business but is out here turning down creative because he doesn't wanna lose.

Most Underrated: Hikaru Shida

I dunno who the heck to pick for this. Claudio is finally properly pushed. PAC is finally properly pushed. Athena is finally properly pushed. I don't know who to pick! So I went with Shida because she's the best and I want her to be on TV all the time and win a belt in 2023.

Rookie of the Year: HOOK

But for real, it's Hook.

Even with the absolutely bizarre way he was written out of the company, Regal still wins this pretty handily. Stoke is a contender, he did some really good work with the Firm in the second half of the year, Smart Mark is always incredibly entertaining, but they weren't really close to Regal.

Taz has become a great staple of the Dynamite booth since Taz moved to Rampage, he rides a great line between a heel-leaning commentator and the experienced wrestler who can break down the moves and just a funny guy who has excellent banter with Excalibur and Schiavone. The Dynamite booth is the best its ever been right now and Taz is a huge part of that.

Worst Television Announcer: Some WWE shmuck, I'm sure. I had Jim Ross on here but y'know what, since he moved to Rampage and is only doing half-duty on PPVs, JR has been pretty drat solid.

Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW All Out

It's very close between All Out and Forbidden Door (and Revolution isn't far behind), I thought All Out was a booking masterclass, every single result hit home incredibly well with me and the best matches peaked higher, so I give the nod to that one, although I understand most people are gonna prefer just how wall-to-wall amazing Forbidden Door was.

Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Royal Rumble 2022
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Swerve Strickland - House Call

Y'know that move where Swerve leaps over an opponent and then kicks his foot backwards as he passes them? Absolutely nuts.

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: Everything related to Vince and his sex scandals, but particularly sending Titus out to cape for him about five minutes before he stepped down in shame.
Worst Television Show: WWE SmackDown

Maybe NXT is worse on a week-to-week basis, maybe Raw is longer, but SmackDown did that episode where they had like 13 minutes of wrestling in two hours and they bait-and-switched the main event for a 90 second squash and that alone wins it worst television show for the entire year for me.

Worst Match of the Year: Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho, Barbed Wire Everywhere Match - AEW Dynamite: Fyter Fest Night 2 7/20/22

ahahahaha gotcha, it's actually the Men's Royal Rumble.

The only reason I'm putting this over Brock vs. Roman or "House of Torture vs. Me, the viewer" (very good pick, forkboy) is because for one glorious week, they had it. They had saved this one. They did the double turn, Sammy was a despicable little prick who couldn't keep his tongue out of his girl's mouth and Men of the Year were firey babyfaces. There was a great story about how Scorpio Sky's obsession with the TNT Title for over a year made him be a prick rear end in a top hat, but then when thought he'd gotten what he wanted, he immediately lost it again. Then he became the heroic, honorable Scorpio Sky again and it was enough to catapult him to victory and earn him the respect of the fans! Ethan Page was cuttin' firey babyface promos! Dynamite Dan Lambert was out there saying stuff like "my grandfather said that youth is wasted on the young because you can go wherever you want but you don't have the wisdom to appreciate it." and it WORKED. Everybody was cheering for Scorpio like he was a conquering hero!

And then they threw it all away literally a week later. God. I was so, so, so frustrated when that happened. Probably the worst AEW has ever disappointed me. I get that it was because they wanted to put the belt on Wardlow but geeeeeeeeeez.

Tony Khan had the best year of PPV in wrestling history while his roster spent 75% of the year constantly exploding in his face. It is very, very, very obviously him and he just keeps making the gap between himself and the rest of the industry bigger every year.

Best Gimmick: Orange Cassidy

Orange Cassidy had some big character development moments this year. He was the most locked in you've ever seen him in AEW for his feud against PAC. I really love how he won his first title and you would expect Orange to be lazy and just never want to defend the thing, but instead he just says "yeah sure let's do it" to literally every single person who wants to fight him. It's a perfectly Orange Cassidy way of embodying the babyface fighting champion character and OC was low-key a pretty important piece for AEW after he got back from his own injury. While a lot of other people were missing, he was just there, being steady and delivering every week.

My favorite thing about OC is how he knows exactly what his character needs to be for the story he's in. He knows when to be the jokey pockets man and he knows how to use that to contrast the moments where he's actually serious. Unironically, Orange Cassidy has one of the best understandings of wrestling psychology in the business today.

Worst Gimmick: Roman Reigns, "The Tribal Chief".
Shad Gaspard/Jon Huber Memorial Award: Dr. Martha Hart
Best Pro Wrestling Book: MOX, this only counts because the audiobook came out this year. :v:
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: No good "Fall of Vince McMahon" docs came out this year so I dunno.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 1, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MJeff I disagree with a lot of your post including Best Gimmick but OC has absolutely vital in providing stability over the back half of the year

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Most Important Awards of the Year are up, the So-Called Voices of Wrestling MOTY list!

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1619101534930731008

Briscoes vs FTR took 3 of the top 10, 1st, 2nd and 10th.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got a couple write ups in there this year. :toot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VoW continue to deem my contributions to scooping as unworthy of a submission entry :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They automatically send all contributors a ballot, pitch them an article about how Taichi was the pandemic MVP or something.