Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

git is easy idk why people spaz about it so much. but yeah it’s not well understood, teach that, it’s useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

git is easy idk why people spaz about it so much. but yeah it’s not well understood, teach that, it’s useful

if you think git is easy there's a 95% chance you're an idiot

bigger issue here though is how you create any kind of relevant scenarios, present them to students, judge what they do, and do it in a way where you trust they'll remember any of it

(and more broadly what you do when 1 student fails the course and you try to simulate a useful test for them)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if you think git is easy there's a 95% chance you're an idiot

bigger issue here though is how you create any kind of relevant scenarios, present them to students, judge what they do, and do it in a way where you trust they'll remember any of it

(and more broadly what you do when 1 student fails the course and you try to simulate a useful test for them)

um i’m 100% an idiot

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
git is easy.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think if you had students obtain their assignments by checking out a git repository and submit them by pushing them to the main branch, that would put them ahead of where a lot of fresh-from-school people start

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

i think if you had students obtain their assignments by checking out a git repository and submit them by pushing them to the main branch, that would put them ahead of where a lot of fresh-from-school people start

Yes this + also it's okay to learn specific technologies that aren't eternally useful because it's not like you forget everything as soon as you switch to a new versioning system/programming language/package manager/whatever. Like I've never used Prolog or Lisp after college but I still learned stuff in the classes I took with them that have been useful afterwards.

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

git is really easy for several coworkers to be slow as gently caress at using as they crawl through man page for "git checkout"

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

supabump posted:

git is really easy for several coworkers to be slow as gently caress at using as they crawl through man page for "git checkout"

point them here
https://stackoverflow.com/a/24967501

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in general it is for these purposes very important to realize how stupid students, and gentle autist, really are