Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
Hello GWS from the BYOB Travelling Spaceship thread! This is not a very fancy or ambitious entry, but I was going to make my favorite summer meal anyway, so I decided to document the process.

I've had it in restaurants, I've eaten it in picnics while listening to summer evening concerts, I've had it in Vietnam, I've had a friend's tiny Vietnamese mom teach me how to assemble it: probably my single favorite dish for hot, humid weather is gỏi cuốn (Vietnamese soft summer rolls/salad rolls)! They are light and refreshing yet still have enough substance to feel like a full meal. I'm serving a peanut and hoisin based dipping sauce alongside, which is possibly less traditional than a simple nuoc cham but it's delicious and adds a bit of heft to the meal. Since one of my cohort does not eat shrimp, I'm also gonna make some marinated baked tofu as an alternative.

Starting with the tofu! Ingredients for the marinade (sans thyme):

Added to this, some fresh thyme from the garden, chopped:

I have a garlic crusher specifically for the garlic and only that, and (not pictured) a ceramic ginger grater specifically for ginger. :love: my unitaskers, they're the best (Alton Brown, get outta town).

Standard operating procedure for the tofu: drain and slice, press for a half hour or so, marinate in the fridge for a few hours.

Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes to desired level of firmness/browning (and desired level of turning your thyme into crispy thyme-flavored bits). You can baste with the marinating liquid a couple of times if you really want to (I did)--really any amount of extra flavor you can infuse into the tofu is helpful.

Next, for the seafood eaters, the scrimps. I got kinda little ones, slightly larger ones are more common I guess? Anyway, into boiling water for 90 seconds:

Plunge into ice water, drain, peel, halve, and refrigerate while prepping everything else.

Ingredients for the dipping sauce:

Uncharacteristic (for me) restraint with the garlic here. In the tupperware is white sugar, only a small amount because the peanut butter already has sugar in it.

Mmm that's the stuff!

And finally, after preparing veggies & herbs and soaking the rice noodles, it's assembly time! People can customize their rolls as they prefer. Today we got shrimp, tofu, rice noodle, lettuce, chives, mint, basil, cilantro, cucumber matchsticks, and (not pictured here but in a later photo) mung bean sprouts. The herbs specifically are what make this dish for me, the mint in particular is very refreshing but it's all good.

The secret to wrapping summer rolls is to keep everything damp and work quickly. You soak the wrapper for a few seconds in a plate of water, and then lay it on a damp paper towel. arrange the fillings on top: it's traditional to put the protein down first then a bed of rice noodles so you can see the protein through the wrapper, followed by whatever other herbs/veggies you like. This time around I did not include scallion, hot peppers, or sliced radishes, but those can all be good.

It all gets rolled up burrito-style. The wrapper is a bit delicate and extremely sticky so a bit of practice helps.

And when everybody's got the rolls just as they like them, it's time to serve!

So there you have it, summer on a plate. Not pictured: the seconds we all had!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks delish!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Very nice!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I want all that cronchy tofu

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I love a good summer roll. They look great!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

I want all that cronchy tofu

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Very nice! That tofu looks great, and I really like the aesthetics of being able to see the ingredients.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm scrolling through this instead of paying attention to a meeting and for a hot second I was trying to figure out where you were using the Progresso Tomato Basil soup in this.

Would eat those rolls

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

That tofu looks wonderful. I miss making peanut sauce but our 7-year-old is allergic so that's right out.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This is so pleasingly fresh, and I echo the tofu sentiment!

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm scrolling through this instead of paying attention to a meeting and for a hot second I was trying to figure out where you were using the Progresso Tomato Basil soup in this.

I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure that out.

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

Bollock Monkey posted:

I spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure that out.

lol!

And thank you all for the kind words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hard to beat dinner and a view. These look really great.