Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Sorry I don't have all the specs, but pretty sure it's the SSD, just want a second opinion.

Problem description: Various BSOD errors during operation, even as soon as Win10 is installed and updated.
Attempted fixes:Attempted windows repair from a clean thumbdrive. Complete reinstall of the OS.
Recent changes:No. Recently built.

--

Operating system:Latest Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
- MB: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H AM4
- Chipset: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
- SSD: Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280
- Gskill Ripjaws, don't have the model offhand.

The BSOD errors were all generalist errors, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA. Most of these seemed to point to driver errors. The MB is updated to the Feb 2022 update (so I could use the new chipset). However, it would seem things would just stop loading. System would slow down when I was using it doing basic tasks (Opening folders, etc). Eventually there would be a point it would just poo poo itself and crash. It seems to happen when there's any sort of load after the slowdown on the hard drive. For example, I installed a Synology NAS as an onsite backup/redundancy issue, installed the backup for business, started a back up and poof, BSOD. This was IMMEDIATELY after the windows install, so there was nothing running, I hadn't even updated the drat thing yet.

The errors all seem to point to some sort of vague "driver" issue, but I'm starting to lean to it being an issue with NVMe, or something with the board and NVME. I'm probably going to buy a cheap 1TB WD blue SATA SSD and see if that helps, but is there anything else I could be missing? The specific model of SSD *IS* on the supported list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

...but is there anything else I could be missing?

You could run https://www.memtest.org/ to see if the RAM has any errors.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Zogo posted:

You could run https://www.memtest.org/ to see if the RAM has any errors.

I knew I missed something, if that tests fine, SSD swap next best step?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

I knew I missed something, if that tests fine, SSD swap next best step?

You could run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php to see if any errors show up on the drive.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
It was the RAM. It IMMEDIATELY threw errors on one of the sticks. Found the bad one and took it out so I can buy some more then RMA that set.

Been too long since I've been in the diagnostic game. Thanks Zogo!