Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

moths are beautiful deadly stalkers of the depths and anyone who slaps them thinking they're mosquitos owes them a public apology spoken out loud right now :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Heather Papps posted:

if these moth facts are incorrect i welcome a "well actually" i just really like moths a lot. a lover, not an expert.

e: already i found one it's not species it's genus or clade or something i don't know, i just know i used the wrong word

WELL ACTUALLY
no you're already almost right, I'll use my insecta nerd knowledge here real quick to tell the entire world that moths, in fact are butterflies

It's the common situation of a trivial term like butterfly, referring to the insect order of lepidoptera, to be used to distinguish between another rank in the taxonomy, which is not wrong but in fact not very useful to do - it's like asking what the difference is between a dog - Canis lupus familiaris in the family of dogs, canidae, in the order of Carnivora - and a cat (Felis catus in family Felidae, order Carnivora). Both share the same order, but down the ladder of taxonomy the differences start to be more apparent.

Moths (Tineidae) are a family of the order of butterflies (lepidoptera), as much as a typical butterfly, say, a monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) from the family of Nymphalida, also order lepidoptera.

Did you know that the order of lepidoptera consists out of a total of about 160 000 species in 130 families, which makes them the second biggest group of insects, right behind beetles? Almost 90% of those are classified as moths in their families, because the typical butterflies, as in, what we usually mean by those, are in the suborder of Glossata, which is only one out of four suborders and all the rest is what we usually call moths!
This is double exciting when you keep in mind that the taxonomic class of insects is, by far, the biggest class of (multicellular) animals of all life as we know it, in terms of numbers. About 10% of total living animal biomass on our beautiful planet is made up of butterflies and 90% of those are moths!

Goons Are Gifts

thank you for coming to gags biology Ted talk, I'm sorry if you feel asleep but I hope you dreamed of a colorful moth

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
https://twitter.com/Cass_Steeth/status/717585277510754304?t=US73aKQuGX2vtO1BkVqs4A&s=19

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

there's a lot of cool moths ITT tho and I like em. why are moths so dusty, what's up with that? I made the bad decision to kill one a few weeks ago and I still have a dusty dark smear on my wall, and I think that moth deserved better than that.

that dust is actually very very tiny scales! their wings and bodies are covered in them, it helps them fly somehow. if you were to hold one and drag your finger across its wing you'd pull a bunch off because our hands have oils on them and fingerprints are good at gripping. this is not recommended however because it will make their lives harder - may be kinder to turn them into a dusty dark smear, honestly. if you catch them in your cupped hands and don't grip them tightly you can usually get them outside without too much damage.

Goons Are Great posted:

thank you for coming to gags biology Ted talk, I'm sorry if you feel asleep but I hope you dreamed of a colorful moth

this was lovely information but it reminds me a little bit of the is a hotdog a sandwich debate, which is an unending whirlpool of epistemologic nonsense. i love moths.

what is this guys job? those are some gnarly nails. The rain moth is BIG. i like it.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

that dust is actually very very tiny scales! their wings and bodies are covered in them, it helps them fly somehow. if you were to hold one and drag your finger across its wing you'd pull a bunch off because our hands have oils on them and fingerprints are good at gripping. this is not recommended however because it will make their lives harder - may be kinder to turn them into a dusty dark smear, honestly. if you catch them in your cupped hands and don't grip them tightly you can usually get them outside without too much damage.

this was lovely information but it reminds me a little bit of the is a hotdog a sandwich debate, which is an unending whirlpool of epistemologic nonsense. i love moths.

what is this guys job? those are some gnarly nails. The rain moth is BIG. i like it.

his job is to dig up the rain moth with his bare hands i think

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

his job is to dig up the rain moth with his bare hands i think

and i thought treeplanting was rough on the hands. thank you, anonymous rain moth digger, you do what is necessary

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

Oh! Very informative posts from my friends HP and GaG! The scales thing is interesting. It has been a hot moth summer here, so I'm glad the other large moths we've found in the house were captured in containers and brought outside.

Ass-penny

they aren't real moths but this game rulebook I'm reading has some moths in it. like, the moths aren't even real in the game, it's a kind of alternate reality that the players can slip into, but I digress. the moths have been trained and bred to plunge their proboscis' into the ear canals of sleeping persons, and feed on their dreams. then, their furry bodies laden with insubstantial pollen, they are brushed clean by their keepers. this pollen is spread inside of blank books where it forms words, pictures or formulae that is "incomprehensible to all but the most learned scholars." it's surreal as gently caress (the entire game is), but it's a real interesting concept I think.

Chewbecca

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1390601071375097856?t=DOlzgtrNMKUcVSvxNwzJlg&s=19

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

https://twitter.com/EntSocVic/status/1550733793795125248?t=bGt7qkBPfLRCaXLTK1x9mA&s=19

This account may be relevant to your interests, op

Also apparently the last week was Nayiomal Moth Week in great nation of Australia!

Chewbecca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

this (esp the photo) had better be an elaborate prank, I'm being moth prank'd now

Finger Prince posted:

I'd love to see a wild Luna moth one day. I've seen a couple of those hummingbird moths, they're pretty freaky.

we get big ol' moths around here (western Maine being here right now) sometimes. I am pretty sure they are lunas actually, though not the freaky big ones (they are still real big tho).

ty nesamdoom!